Author Topic: Why is Nutrish the Fastest Growing US Pet Food Brand?  (Read 704 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Why is Nutrish the Fastest Growing US Pet Food Brand?
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
Rachael Ray’s Nutrish Pet Food has been named “the fastest growing US Pet Food brand”. Why? Could it be marketing? Could it be celebrity endorsement? Or is it the fact that FDA and State Department of Agriculture does not enforce law?

The press release about the pet food growth states “Euromonitor International Limited has determined that, Rachael Ray Nutrish is the fastest growing US Pet Food brand among brands in excess of $200 million in annual sales in 2016. The claim comes after the brand accomplished its most successful year to date, with sales up 49 percent in 2016 vs. the previous year.”

Why would this pet food be the fastest growing US brand?

First – Rachael Ray Nutrish is a feed grade pet food. It is not food – it is feed. There’s a difference.

Continue reading at: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/why-is-nutrish-the-fastest-growing-us-pet-food-brand/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Why is Nutrish the Fastest Growing US Pet Food Brand?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
  Or is this pet food brand ‘the fastest growing brand in the US’ because of celebrity endorsement with further marketing of ‘real’ pet food ingredients?

Bingo.

From one of the comments:
And ask, if you can’t buy human grade chicken for the price of a bag of PF, then what makes you think they’re using anything but condemned chicken in the bag?

Excellent point, and one I wish I'd thought of back when I was feeding the junky pet foods.

From another comment:
The problem is, most every reasonable consumer must really KNOW that the pictures do not represent what is in the bag. 

But they don't.  I know I didn't.  I believed that what the bag showed was what was in it, because I also believed that if it wasn't, then it would be considered false advertising and that would be illegal.  I thought the FDA and AAFCO wouldn't allow packaging to show something that wasn't an accurate reflection of the ingredients.  And I'm sure most uneducated pet parents think the same way.  From Susan's reply to the above:

Last weekend I gave two talks to pet food consumers. The first one was mostly unknowing consumers, the second was mostly educated consumers. Of both groups – before I talked – I asked them what do these types of pictures of meat mean to them when on a pet food label – what is that image saying to you? Of the unknowing consumers – almost every person said they believed picture meant that is what is in the pet food – that’s what the picture meant. Of the educated consumers, most knew it was deception, but all felt like it SHOULD mean that is what is in the product. I’ve found that most all consumers don’t realize there are two types of ingredients (food or feed) and they believe the marketing OR they believe the marketing should be truthful (even when they recognize it is not).
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: