Author Topic: KOHA Cat Food  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
KOHA Cat Food
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
A member messaged me about this cat food.  I've never heard of it and just checked it out:  https://kohapet.com/  They also make dog food.

I only took a quick look at the chicken stew cat food, and while I had some concerns about some of the ingredients (parsley, dandelion greens, kale -- are they high in oxalates?), on the bright side, it doesn't contain carageenan, xanthan gum or guar gum, which is rare.  I'm also not sure about feeding kangaroo (yes, there's a canned food of kangaroo), if you have a pet that really needs novel proteins, it might be worth a try.

P.S.  They are grain and potato-free.  The cat food is also "gum free."   thumbsup1
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:57:28 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: KOHA Cat Food
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
FYI, this was the gist of my reply to the member.  I didn't notice that the food is carageenan/guar-gum/xantham gum-free until after I sent the reply  :-[.

While no canned food is perfect, which is why most of us on the forum recommend rotating brands and proteins, this looks fine.  I do have some concerns when I see ingredients like kale, dandelion greens, and parsley, because they may be high in oxalate and that can cause bladder stones.  Spinach (not in the ingredients) definitely can.  I'm not sure why they include porcine plasma  :-\.    I think things like fenugreek seeds, chickpeas, etc. are more to appeal to the human buyer than anything.  Cats don't need plant matter.

I also see they have a can of kangaroo.  Personally, I don't know if that's something I would feed, but if you have a cat that really needs some novel proteins, it might be worth a try.  I didn't look at the ingredients for it.

I'll be happy to start a thread for you so the others can weigh in.  They are very educated about feline nutrition as well and can discuss this further.

Just so y'all don't have to go back and forth between sites, this is the ingredient list for the Chicken Stew Wet Cat Food:

INGREDIENTS
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Product, Porcine Plasma, Dehydrated Chicken Liver, Fenugreek Seeds, Chickpeas, Calcium Carbonate, Parsley, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Kale, Dandelion Greens, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Turmeric, Ginger, New Zealand Green Mussel, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid

EDIT #1:  Ok, I just looked at the ingredients for the other cat foods, at least the "stews."  If I still had a kitty, I think I would add these to the rotation (maybe not the 'roo).  If the other canned foods don't contain spinach or other high oxalate ingredients, that might balance out what's in this brand.  And the fact that there's no starches, carageenan or gums is a major plus.   thumbsup1

EDIT #2:  Then I checked out the chicken pate cat food and saw agar-agar on the list.   :(  Well, like I said to the member, no canned food is perfect.  But the stews at least might be something to include in the rotation.  And now I'm going to stop looking at their products because I don't feel like making any more edits.   funny2  But please feel free to check out what they have and comment on it.    They have Limited Ingredient Recipes, Stew Recipes, and Roo Recipes.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:04:29 PM by Pookie »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
I DO know that, in Australia, a lot of farmers consider 'roos vermin. Just like a lot of people here think gators are vermin. If they're going to be killed anyway for tearing farms up, they might as well go to some good. JMO.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »
Kangaroo is very popular in Europe.  I see it mentioned alot in the UK forum, and once in awhile on the  IBD group.

That food appears to be zero carbs, even the stews.  The odd thing though is the GA percentages add up to more than 100% on the stew varieties. 

All the pates are combination kangaroo and one other protein.  I'll add this brand to the carrageenan free list with the alert about the agar-agar in the kangaroo combo pates.  They all have it and it's pretty high on the list.

I'm not thrilled with all the fruits and veggies and chick peas, but not everyone is as picky as I am about those kinds of things. :)

Thanks for the info Pookie!

PS the best thing about this brand?  THEY DON'T MAKE KIBBLE

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
I DO know that, in Australia, a lot of farmers consider 'roos vermin. Just like a lot of people here think gators are vermin. If they're going to be killed anyway for tearing farms up, they might as well go to some good. JMO.

My only concern with 'roo is that it's just SO different from what a cat would eat in the wild, that I'd wonder how the cat would handle it.  I don't know if it's considered "red" meat or what, but I remember Pookie couldn't tolerate lamb, which was a red meat, so if he were still here, I'd wonder if he could tolerate it.  And since they have other options that are closer (relatively speaking) to a cat's prey, like chicken or duck, I'd go with those first.  But who knows?  Maybe 'roo is a great alternative for kitties that need seriously different proteins.

I'll add this brand to the carrageenan free list with the alert about the agar-agar in the kangaroo combo pates.  They all have it and it's pretty high on the list.

Thanks, MC!

I'm not thrilled with all the fruits and veggies and chick peas, but not everyone is as picky as I am about those kinds of things. :)

I wasn't thrilled with those, either, which is why I mentioned that there is no perfect canned cat food.  For some reason, they all seem to add fruits and veggies.   ::)  I suspect it's to appeal to the human buying it.  Just my  2cents.

Thanks for the info Pookie!

Thanks to the member to pawmailed me about it.  Though I think they mistook me for someone else.   :-[

PS the best thing about this brand?  THEY DON'T MAKE KIBBLE

multistars multistars multistars

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:10 PM »
Should we add this to the carrageenan free list?  I got a bit confused.   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 04:50:23 AM »
Should we add this to the carrageenan free list?  I got a bit confused.   Silly7

I already did with the disclaimer about the agar-agar in the pate formula

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 06:28:14 PM »
I already did with the disclaimer about the agar-agar in the pate formula

thumbsup1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: