Author Topic: Make Your Own Sunscreen. . .  (Read 610 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Make Your Own Sunscreen. . .
« on: August 25, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »
This looks like it might be easier to our systems for those of us with allergies and other health issues:

https://pronounceskincare.com/diy-sunscreen-easy-make-need-recipe/

DIY SUNSCREEN (8OZ)

SUPPLIES/INGREDIENTS

Double-boiler (I make my own with a glass bowl over a simmering pot of shallow H2O)

Kitchen Scale (this is BY FAR my favorite kitchen scale (very affordable and Amazon Prime); read more about it in this post that I wrote)

Mask (or hold your shirt over your mouth…you do not want to breathe in the zinc oxide, so make sure little ones aren’t around when you make this)

Container(s) (I give you a few options below)

90g Coconut Oil– Organic, unrefined, virgin coconut oil like this (my fav!)

65g Carrier Oil– I use organic and unrefined apricot oil in this recipe, but you can use almond oil, jojoba oil, or any other liquid carrier oil you can find here. You can learn more about carrier oils in this post that I wrote and a great deal more from MRH here.

28.5g Beeswax– I love these beeswax pastilles (they are MUCH easier to work with than a block of wax)

27.5g Shea Butter – Organic, unrefined shea butter like this.

40g Zinc Oxide – I suggest this non-nano, uncoated zinc oxide, or you can buy zinc from me in smaller amounts.

1/2t Vitamin E – I really like this Vitamin E; make sure you know from where it is sourced (& non-GMO), especially if you have allergies.

MAKE IT

Place your glass bowl on your scale, hit tare.

Add all ingredients (one-by-one, hitting tare in between) EXCEPT the zinc oxide, which you add at the end.

Place glass bowl over pot of shallow, slightly simmering H2O. Melt ingredients completely (stir with a whisk to help it along).

Carefully remove from stove and wipe down condensation on bowl (you do not want H2O getting into your product).

Place bowl on scale, hit tare.

Add zinc oxide, slowly, until you get to 40g. Again, add this slooooowly, as the zinc settles the amount will increase on your scale.

Whisk, whisk, whisk (and whisk some more!) and then carefully pour into container of your choice.

This will take a few minutes to set up. Just walk away and leave it alone to quietly set up.

*T=tablespoon and t=teaspoon
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: