Author Topic: I never thought I would be one of those who restrict where a cat can go in the h  (Read 752 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
But I am doing this to Mazy cat, only until the habit is broken, I hope.  Ever since I set up the new bed platform Mazy cat has this new habit.  See the platform gives almost 14 inches of clearance above the floor.  Cats can walk right under without crouching even.  I don't mind the cats going under the bed, not at all, I never have. And since the big bedroom clean out not only is there more headroom for them under there, there is more room entirely.

But.  Mazy cat has started this new habit and right after she eats, she goes in the bedroom and disappears under the bed.  I don't like this. Because of her condition (suspected IBD, presenting as "chronic vomiting")  I need to be able to observe her after she eats.  I need to know if she's comfortable or has a tummy ache, or has puked. And of course I don't want to clean up puke from under the bed. I already have, once this week. :(

Usually she has several spots she goes to after eating, very habitual, well you know what cats are like.  So this morning I started something new, and that is shutting the screen door in the bedroom doorway, to keep her out of there.  Only for right after she eats. After meal time is over and I am sure she isn't going to puke, I open it back up.

Sure enough, every time she has eaten today she has headed for the bedroom, and been stopped by the screen door.  I watch her sit and stare at it for a minute or two then go over to her regular spot.

I feel kind of mean, doing it.  But I need to be able to observe her.  When I see that she has stopped going over there, and is just going to her regular after meal spots again, I will try leaving it open again.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
 Hug1 Hug1  You gotta do whatcha gotta do.   Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I am with Pookie, sometimes a person has to do what a person has to do.  Besides, it isn't like you are keeping her from doing something she has done for years... or even months... something familiar.  Know what I mean?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Well, it worked.  She's no longer going in there and under the bed after eating, and I have stopped closing the screen door.

Tags: