Author Topic: New Dog, Misa!  (Read 3007 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: New Dog Maybe
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »
love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1

It's been 15 minutes.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:50:44 PM »
We must be patient we must be patient we must be patient.  Misa will have to be settled in before we meet her. Must. Be. Patient.  Hug1

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
Misa is officially a part of our family!
She has no interest in the cats.  Arrows did give her a welcome head butt.  It was well received.

Her people left, and ... it will take a while for her to have ANY interest in us humans.  She doesn't want to come back into the house.  We don't like leaving her outside, but... if that is where she is comfortable, I guess we will deal with it. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:10:47 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
WoooHooo!!!

She doesn't want to come back into the house.

She's probably looking for them to come back. Only thing you can do is go out there and sit with her and talk to her about anything and everything.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »
WoooHooo!!!

She's probably looking for them to come back. Only thing you can do is go out there and sit with her and talk to her about anything and everything.

That sounds like great advice Dee!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
She did pretty good with us, while the rescue parents were here.  Once they left... she kept looking at the back door for them.  :(
The rescue people said for us to let her come to us.  If a stranger goes to her... she panics and runs.  They weren't kidding!  If she even thought we were going to make a move towards her, she ran away.  I definitely understand why they wanted to make sure our backyard was non-escapable! 

We went in and out a bazillion times. We were outside with her, more then we were not.  She did take snacks from us a few times.  We talked to her a lot.

It is going to be a long road, but we will make it!

She realllllllly wanted to come to me and get her dinner.  She came close a few times, but turned back.  I went inside, so she could eat in peace.

At one point we were outside with her, trying to figure out how to get her inside.  Misa went to the back slider door.  Not only was she okay with me walking up behind her...I opened it, and she went in.  Yay! 

I know she lived on the streets for a very long time, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to leave her outside.  Plus, she was wearing a very long leash. What if she got the leash tangled around the outside table leg or a chair leg... would she panic... and then what?

Once she was inside, I got a hold of her leash.  The leash has a lot of "power."  She allowed me to to walk her around the house.  She listens pretty good, as long as a human is on the other end of the leash. 

She's inside for the night now... in a crate, in the master bedroom. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 10:34:03 PM »
She'll get there.

Once she was inside, I got a hold of her leash.  The leash has a lot of "power."  She allowed me to to walk her around the house.  She listens pretty good, as long as a human is on the other end of the leash. 

When you're home and doing things, wear her--you know, like baby-wearing. Tie the leash to yourself, and then she has to follow you around everywhere you go. Get a treat pouch to keep on you (or a "fanny pack" that you can also tie the leash to) and treat her when she's looking at your face. Use small training treats. Amount of the treat doesn't matter. Just getting the treat matters to them. Unless you want her to be your dog alone, have your husband "wear" her some as well.

I know that sounds weird, but it works. Being literally attached to you helps build the mental attachment.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:53 AM »
How wonderful that she is with you and is going to have such a lovely happy life once she learns to trust.  No matter how long it takes.  She's in the right place. xx

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
She did pretty good with us, while the rescue parents were here.  Once they left... she kept looking at the back door for them.  :(
The rescue people said for us to let her come to us.  If a stranger goes to her... she panics and runs.  They weren't kidding!  If she even thought we were going to make a move towards her, she ran away.  I definitely understand why they wanted to make sure our backyard was non-escapable! 

We went in and out a bazillion times. We were outside with her, more then we were not.  She did take snacks from us a few times.  We talked to her a lot.

It is going to be a long road, but we will make it!

She realllllllly wanted to come to me and get her dinner.  She came close a few times, but turned back.  I went inside, so she could eat in peace.

At one point we were outside with her, trying to figure out how to get her inside.  Misa went to the back slider door.  Not only was she okay with me walking up behind her...I opened it, and she went in.  Yay! 

I know she lived on the streets for a very long time, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to leave her outside.  Plus, she was wearing a very long leash. What if she got the leash tangled around the outside table leg or a chair leg... would she panic... and then what?

She's inside for the night now... in a crate, in the master bedroom. 

Looking for more like this....... :D

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 08:28:20 PM »
We do walk her around the house, on a leash.  We know she won't have ANY problems with the cats.  Why?  I had snacks in my pocket yesterday, on our "walk."  Had 6 cats following us.  lol
We did have her sleep cat-free last night.  With them all gawking at her in her crate, and wanting to jump on top to get a closer look... just seemed like a bit too much stress for one day. 
She ate breakfast inside.  Went outside to do her business and then came back in.  She came to both hubby and I for pets... and we had no snacks.  :)
After lunch today, she stayed outside for several hours. 
I expect ups and downs.
This is her wanting to come back inside.... just can't take that final step.
It took about 20 minutes, before she made it in... with the coaxing of treats.
Once she is inside, she does very well... even when walked around the house.  She is hesitant, but doesn't resist. 
Say "place" and she goes into her crate.  Say "Ok" and she comes out.
She will eat dinner inside and then go to bed for the night.  That's the plan anyway.  Trying to get a routine going.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:31:30 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »
She is a little thing.  Maybe 30 or 35 pounds.  ??  Definitely a lot of some sort of bully breed in her.  Mixed with what... no idea.  A cutie patootie though. 
She is VERY skittish, but not once has the hair gone up on her back.  Tail does wag high at times.  Never tucked.  No growling. 

I have to figure out what she is mixed with... and have the non-bully breed put on her record.  As in Corgie-mix... something non-threatening in the home owner's insurance world.

She is due for a rabies shot this month.  I asked the rescue if I could take her, so I could get her established at my vet.  I mention that, because the rescue people said it was their job to get her rabies vaccination done.  They felt they weren't doing their job.  I told them that they didn't have to worry... we didn't know the rules.  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:18:01 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »
Thanks for the updates!   :-* :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the updates!   :-* :-* :-*

Thanks for reading.  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: New Dog, Misa!
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 10:05:53 PM »
She's a Carolina Dog mix.

Carolina dogs are a medium sized; height ranges from 17 to 24 inches (45–61 cm), and weight from 30 to 65 pounds (15–20 kg).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Dog

http://packdog.com/breed/carolina-dog

View Viva:  http://packdog.com/viva?browse=breed&browse_id=carolina-dog

Tags:

'Hare