Author Topic: New Dog, Misa!  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: New Dog, Misa!
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »
Maybe I should just go into that wiki article and change it to something more realistic. They're foundation stock for Pete's sake.

You should!  If you have links, add them too!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2018, 10:47:19 AM »
Did the vet give her health a "thumbs-up?"  And did Misa enjoy her burger?

I'm glad the ride went well, and the vet visit (or at least, not more challenging than anticipated).

We saw an associate.  I wasn't thrilled, but I didn't want to be poopy, so I went with it.  I had to push for some of the things I wanted him to check.  I think he was afraid of Misa.  I don't know.  It was a little weird. 

He gave her health a thumbs up.  Teeth, coat, ears, and eyes.  No blood was taken, because she had it done not very long ago. 

She has one eye that is draining a little amount of clear liquid.  It isn't much, but ...
I have been giving her L-Lysine.  Figured it couldn't hurt.  You are going to kick me, but he explained it away as nothing to worry about.  I forgot what he said.  If it continues, I can take her to another vet.

She got her nails trimmed.

Mostly we were there for the rabies vaccination.  She also got DA2PP.  I think that covers her for anything she may come in contact with on walks.  ??

The vet did ask me several raw feeding questions, on different occasions. Something about his questions....I asked him if he was anti-raw.  He said no.   He went into a huge explanation of why he didn't care for over-processed foods, yada, yada, yada.  That was cool!
He asked where I purchased my food.  I mentioned Hare-Today and a few others.  At one time, he left the room and came back...He looked up Hare-Today.  HA HA HA!  He was impressed though. 

Vet later mentioned that they sell Primal and some other brands of raw, if I was interested.  (I already knew.). I said that I would feed those brands, in an emergency, but I preferred "less ingredients."  It probably would have been a good opportunity for me to mention that Primal is loaded with veggies in their cat products. Dog products contain Montmorillonite Clay, etc.  Some of you are "teachers," I am not. 

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
We are making a lot of progress with Misa!

We started out with going with her outside on a leash.
Then we allowed her outside, with leash attached (but not a person).... so we could catch her.
We then went to allowing her outside, with no leash.
She tried to dig her way out, so she lost the privilege of being outside alone.
We worked back up to her being allowed outside alone, with leash attached, for short periods of time.  Kept an eye on her.  No escape attempts.
Today she is outside, without a leash attached... or having a person on the other end of the leash.
I have gone towards her several times, she gets up and walks away from me... but not quickly. 
Misa LOVES being outside, so we wanted to make it work ASAP... while the weather is so nice.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:32:22 PM by Lola, Reason: clarity »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2018, 03:02:54 PM »
That sounds great. You're going to have to find out what her doggy-crack is. She'll come fast enough if you've got something she's obsessive over in the treat department.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2018, 03:21:29 PM »
That sounds great. You're going to have to find out what her doggy-crack is. She'll come fast enough if you've got something she's obsessive over in the treat department.

Treats work pretty good, but not if she is scared out of her mind.  I am pretty sure we are over the "scared out of mind" part. 
Today, I'm working on her coming to me, when called... no treats.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
bananamiddlechild

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:58 PM »
Treats work pretty good, but not if she is scared out of her mind.  I am pretty sure we are over the "scared out of mind" part. 
Today, I'm working on her coming to me, when called... no treats.

That's a bit fast. The general rule of thumb is work on the same commands, exactly the same way, for at least a week every day--if they perform the command reliably. She doesn't sound reliable to me yet. I'd keep treating her.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
She is a very smart dog.  She REALLY wants to please, but she has anxiety issues with humans.  Although she has improved IMMENSELY!

I kinda have to move fast, because I am off work this week.  With working nights, I don't want to have to leave her locked inside her crate all day... and then all night.  I want to get her to the point of being 100% comfortable with me THIS week... and trust worthy in the back yard.  Being comfortable is going to stop the "flight" desire. 

Today we got in lots of practice.  She got to spend as much time as she wanted in the backyard off leash.  I would go out and "demand" certain things from her.  She did quite well...with me and the demands.  We will continue with the same thing tomorrow, and probably for several days. 

Her comfort zone is being on leash.  She will do ANYTHING asked of her, while on a leash.  Hard to explain.  Off leash, is when her anxiety kicks in. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »

Her comfort zone is being on leash.  She will do ANYTHING asked of her, while on a leash.  Hard to explain.  Off leash, is when her anxiety kicks in. 

Leashes take away responsibility from them. You're in control and they no longer have to think about what to do. It's why it's such a good tool for everything from walking to learning how to not attack a vacuum. I've used a leash a lot indoors to teach how to not do certain things. I use it a lot for Vlad as a calming tool when he gets stressed.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2018, 08:57:17 PM »
Leashes take away responsibility from them. You're in control and they no longer have to think about what to do. It's why it's such a good tool for everything from walking to learning how to not attack a vacuum. I've used a leash a lot indoors to teach how to not do certain things. I use it a lot for Vlad as a calming tool when he gets stressed.

I could be totally off on this, but in addition to what Dee said (and Dee can correct me on this), I would also think there's something about having that physical connection that helps.  I think they can sense you through the leash, if that makes sense, and that gives some sort of . . . comfort or connection.

That's pawsome that she's making so much progress and feeling less anxious!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:07 PM »
You aren't off.  Her rescue mom is also a trainer.  While on leash, she knows what is expected of her.  Human is in charge. 
We have the leash stuff down.  That is why we are working on off leash performance. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:02:51 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2018, 05:42:49 AM »
 :-* :-*

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Misa... SERIOUSLY?
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
I put a scoop of rabbit in Misa's lunch bowl of turkey.  When I returned to pick up her bowl...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
Well I think that one is a firm no for Misa. Barkly doesn't like chicken. He'll eat it now, but I get a dirty look when I give them that for a meal.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
A dirty look... HA HA HA!

That's like Roxy when she isn't pleased with the choice of a meal.  She walks away from her dish.  "Stands" at the end of the hall... and pouts.  There is no other way to describe it. 

As far as Misa... at first, I thought maybe I just returned too soon to get her bowl.  Then I got to thinking... it took some creative eating skills to eat around the rabbit. 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:41:58 PM by Lola »

Tags:

'Hare