Author Topic: Misa - Learning To Trust Humans  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Misa - Learning To Trust Humans
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:58:52 AM »
I'm starting a new thread, concerning Misa's accomplishments.  Mostly for me to remember details.   Silly7

Today she ate with me in the room. 
It took her over 2 minutes to come into the house, and actually eat. 

I was sitting in a chair, so she was pretty sure I wouldn't be leaving the room.  Two minutes doesn't seem like a long time, but it is for a dog that REALLY wants her lunch!  :)

Tail was wagging a mile a minute, a bit of excitement whining, in and out, in and out.  Finally, she took the plunge!  AND she didn't run back outside right away, after she finished. 

chicken1 <----- Yum!

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Misa - Learning To Trust Humans
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »
Yay! Brave girl!

Looking forward to hearing more.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »
dancingbanana
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline ThreeStep

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
Keep the good work up!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »
I'm so glad to hear this! Once she gets to the point that she automatically comes and eats, you might want to see if you can feed her by hand. It builds up ultimate trust. Yeah. it's kind of gross with raw sometimes, but all of our dogs have been hand-fed when young.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »
I can feed her treats by hand... if she is in the mood.

Today we did a bit more "loose inside," with full access of the house. 

Most of her inside time, so far, is spent in the master bedroom with myself or hubby... working towards her being comfortable around us, and at the same time, she is less stressed... not having full access of the house. 

Inside, her comfort zone is in her crate.  I've always been pretty much anti-crating... so this is an adjustment for me!  lol  To explain... I think (right or wrong) mannnny people crate their dogs tooooooo much and for tooooooo many hours.  JUST my  2cents
Our goal is to get her comfortable outside of her crate. We don't have a problem crating her at night, so she can get some restful sleep.

Anyway...  Misa spent her loose inside time trying to convince us to let her outside.  She would come to us, get some pets... then walk over to a door.  Repeat over and over.  It was still good... she was at least comfortable enough to keep trying to schmooze us into letting her outside.  Silly7

Outside (preferably with no humans) is her total comfort zone.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 09:52:57 PM »
Inside, her comfort zone is in her crate.  I've always been pretty much anti-crating... so this is an adjustment for me!  lol  To explain... I think (right or wrong) mannnny people crate their dogs tooooooo much and for tooooooo many hours.  JUST my  2cents
Our goal is to get her comfortable outside of her crate. We don't have a problem crating her at night, so she can get some restful sleep.

Yeah, I've gotten that impression myself.  How are she and the kitties getting along?  Has she made special friends with any of them?
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »
How are she and the kitties getting along?  Has she made special friends with any of them?

As far as Misa is concerned... the cats and her are all one big happy family!  If the humans would move out... life would be perfect! 
The cats have sniffed her and such.  They go in and out of the room, where Misa spends most of her time.  They sleep in the room.  If I had to guess, they know she isn't comfortable and are giving her space. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 10:53:46 PM »
A lot of dogs still have the "den" instinct for a safety mechanism. Being outside, she probably had one for night and puppies. That crate became her new den, and she actually needs it emotionally.

I'm fairly anti-crate too. I crate them until they're old enough that I completely trust, and then the crates get put up. I kind of think that if I can't trust them, then they shouldn't be with us. But I've heard of a lot of rescue dogs that seem to feel safer in their crates.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 05:10:50 AM »
As far as Misa is concerned... the cats and her are all one big happy family!  If the humans would move out... life would be perfect! 
The cats have sniffed her and such.  They go in and out of the room, where Misa spends most of her time.  They sleep in the room.  If I had to guess, they know she isn't comfortable and are giving her space. 

bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild love1

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
This was after 2 minutes of trying to get Misa to come inside to eat... with me staying in the room.  Yes, that is super slurping noise you hear.  I added a bit too much water. 

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
Yesterday she did come inside willingly, with me in the room, to eat breakfast and lunch.  She ate dinner inside, with myself AND hubby in the room. 
If anyone is wondering... we feed her 3x a day, because the cats eat 3x a day.  She learned the sound of food plates/bowls rather quickly.  Don't want her to feel we are playing favorites.   Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
You guys are doing such a great job with her! I guess when it gets really hot she might decide it's mor comfortable inside with the family.....if she's ready by then and it sounds like she may be.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
Misa was given her first Bully Stick today.  I'm not a big fan of pet snacks.... seems there is always a problem.  However, I think these are okay...https://www.bestbullysticks.com

Another reason for the bully sticks, I never could figure out what bones were okay or not okay.

Anyway, Misa isn't a gulper.  Yay! :D

Not doggin Lacy,  :-* but...she was a gulper.  We attached vice grips to the middle, so she would chew... instead of swallowing whole.  It didn't matter the size width or length.   ;D

Thanks all for reading my yapping...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:50:28 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
Thanks all for reading my yapping...

Thanks for sharing!   :-* :-* :-* :-*