Author Topic: Northwest Naturals. . .  (Read 1581 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Northwest Naturals. . .
« on: March 27, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
It wasn't that long ago that Northwest Naturals had a recall, but I just found out that Licker and Whine has them listed as one of their brands carried. Northwest Naturals has a video in Pet Fooled: https://www.petfooled.com/blog/this-is-the-northwest-naturals-talk-to-us-campaign

Here are the ones I'm looking at, the five pound chubs: http://nw-naturals.net/chubs/

This would be great for times when my life gets totally out of control since it's supposed to be complete, and I wouldn't have to make veg puree. Thoughts on the ingredients, please? I'm going to put each protein in its own post since it would make it too long to make each one in this post.

http://nw-naturals.net/beef-ingredients/

Ingredients:

Beef, Beef Heart, Beef Liver, Ground Beef Bone, Broccoli, Carrots, Beef Kidney, Romaine Lettuce, Apples, Ground Flaxseed, Fish Oil*, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Vitamin D Supplement.

*Fish Oil – Is a blend of Wild Caught Alaskan Fish Oils from Salmon, Herring and Pollock.

80% Meat – 18.75% Produce – 1.5% Supplements

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:      
BEEF                          RAW    FREEZE DRIED

Minimum Protein   13%        41%
Minimum Fat            11%   34%
Maximum Fiber             2%       6%
Maximum Moisture    68%   5%
Carbohydrates             4%         9%
Calcium                  0.74%    2.47%
Phosphorous         0.44%    1.47%
Copper (ppm)             13          43
Zinc (ppm)            62        207
Cal/Phos                1.68/1       1.68/1
Sodium               0.17%    0.57%
MEKcal/KG        1750     5180
Kcal/oz(calculated)   50   147

All of our beef is Grass-Fed and raised in the USA without antibiotics or added hormones. Proteins are USDA inspected and passed. Produce comes with certificates of guarantee. Recipes are grain and gluten free – Corn, wheat and soy free. We include human grade proteinated vitamins and minerals for better absorption. Complete and balanced diets. Nuggets and Bars are quick thaw and ready to serve. All recipes contain 10% raw ground bone.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:39:52 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Northwest Naturals. . .
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
http://nw-naturals.net/chicken-ingredients/

Ingredients:

Chicken, Ground Chicken Bone, Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzard, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Broccoli, Romaine Lettuce, Egg, Ground Flaxseed, Fish Oil*, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Vitamin D Supplement.

*Fish Oil – Is a blend of Wild Caught Alaskan Fish Oils from Salmon, Herring and Pollock.

80% Meat – 18.75% Produce – 1.25% Supplements

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:   

CHICKEN                  RAW   FREEZE DRIED

Minimum Protein   14%      45%
Minimum Fat            8%       26%
Maximum Fiber           2%      6%
Maximum Moisture   72%      5%
Carbohydrates            4%       6%
Calcium                   0.45%   1.50%
Phosphorous          0.33%    1.10%
Copper (ppm)             27       90
Zinc (ppm)             87    290
Cal/Phos                1.36/1     1.36/1
Sodium                0.14%     0.47%
MEKcal/KG         1520      4780
Kcal/oz(calculated)     43       136

All of our meat is raised in the USA without antibiotics or added hormones. Proteins are USDA inspected and passed. Produce comes with certificates of guarantee. Recipes are grain and gluten free – Corn, wheat and soy free. We include  human grade proteinated vitamins and minerals for better absorption. Complete and balanced diets. Nuggets and Bars are quick thaw and ready to serve. All Recipes contain 10% raw ground bone.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:41:47 PM »
http://nw-naturals.net/chicken-and-salmon/

Northwest Naturals Chicken and Salmon recipe is available in: 6lb nuggets, Individually wrapped dinner bars, Bulk dinner bars, Chubs and Freeze dried diets.

chicken and salmon

Ingredients:

Chicken, Ground Chicken Bone, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Broccoli, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Egg, Ground Flaxseed, Fish Oil*, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Vitamin D Supplement.

*Fish Oil – Is a blend of Wild Caught Alaskan Fish Oils from Salmon, Herring and Pollock

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:      
CHICKEN & SALMON      RAW   FREEZE DRIED
Minimum Protein      14%   45%
Minimum Fat                10%   29%
Maximum Fiber              2%   5%
Maximum Moisture       72%   5%
Carbohydrates                  3%    9%
Calcium                      0.75%    2.50%
Phosphorous              0.47%    1.570%
Copper (ppm)                  6    20
Zinc (ppm)               58    193
Cal/Phos                    1.73/1   1.73/1
Sodium                   0.19%    0.63%
MEKcal/KG           1620    4890
Kcal/oz(calculated)      46            139

80% Meat – 18.75% Produce – 1.25% Supplements Chicken and Salmon Recipe –

All of our meat is raised in the USA without antibiotics or added hormones. Proteins are USDA inspected and passed. Salmon is Alaskan Wild caught. Produce comes with certificates of guarantee.  Recipes are grain and gluten free – Corn, wheat and soy free. We include human grade proteinated vitamins and minerals for better absorption. Complete and balanced diets. Nuggets and Bars are quick thaw and ready to serve. All Recipes contain 10% raw ground bone.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »
http://nw-naturals.net/lamb-ingredients/

Ingredients:

Lamb, Lamb Heart, Lamb Liver, Ground Lamb Bone, Broccoli, Apples, Carrots, Cantaloupe, Egg, Ground Flaxseed, Fish Oil*, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Vitamin D Supplement

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:      
LAMB                   RAW   FREEZE DRIED
Minimum Protein   14%       45%
Minimum Fat          11%       31%
Maximum Fiber           2%        5%
Maximum Moisture   70%        5%
Carbohydrates             1%        4%
Calcium                  0.75%    2.5%
Phosphorous             0.52%    1.73%
Copper (ppm)            11          36.70
Zinc (ppm)               87    290
Cal/Phos                  1.54/1   1.54/1
Sodium                  0.18%    0.60%
MEKcal/KG           1670             5030
Kcal/oz(calculated)   47            143

Our lamb is grass-fed and is raised in the USA and/or New Zealand without antibiotics or added hormones. Proteins are USDA inspected and passed. Produce comes with certificates of guarantee. Recipes are grain and gluten free – Corn, wheat and soy free. We include  human grade proteinated vitamins and minerals for better absorption. Complete and balanced diets. Nuggets and Bars are quick thaw and ready to serve.

All Recipes contain 10% raw ground bone.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
http://nw-naturals.net/turkey-ingredients/

Ingredients:

Turkey, Ground Turkey Bone, Turkey Heart, Turkey Liver, Apples, Carrots, Romaine Lettuce, Watermelon, Egg, Ground Flaxseed, Fish Oil*, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Vitamin D Supplement.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:      
TURKEY                    RAW   FREEZE DRIED
Minimum Protein   14%             41%
Minimum Fat             8%               34%
Maximum Fiber               2%      6%
Maximum Moisture       73%      5%
Carbohydrates              3%    11%
Calcium                   0.55%    1.84%
 Phosphorous             0.38%    1.27%
Copper (ppm)               8              26
Zinc (ppm)               76    2.54
Cal/Phos                      1.34/1    1.34/1
Sodium                     0.15%    0.50%
MEKcal/KG             1570   5180
Kcal/oz(calculated)         45   147

All of our meat is raised in the USA without antibiotics or added hormones. Proteins are USDA inspected and passed. Produce comes with certificates of guarantee. Recipes are grain and gluten free – Corn, wheat and soy free. We include human grade proteinated vitamins and minerals for better absorption. Complete and balanced diets. Nuggets and Bars are quick thaw and ready to serve.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
This is the last one. SO, would you feed it? Any of them, or all of them?

http://nw-naturals.net/whitefish-and-salmon/

Ingredients:

Whitefish with Ground Bone, Salmon with Ground Bone, Broccoli, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Ground Flaxseed, Fish Oil*, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Vitamin D Supplement.

*Fish Oil – Combination of Alaska Wild Caught Salmon, Pollock and Herring Oils.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:      
WHITEFISH and SALMON
                                 RAW   FREEZE DRIED
Minimum Protein    14%   63%
Minimum Fat              3%   15%
Maximum Fiber             2%    8%
Maximum Moisture    78%   5%
Carbohydrates              5%    9%
Calcium                   .60%    2.55%
 Phosphorous             .41%    1.74%
Copper (ppm)                5              21.3
Zinc (ppm)             65.9    280.
Cal/Phos                   1.4/1    1.4/1
Sodium                    .040%    0.17%
MEKcal/KG            1088   4342
Kcal/oz(calculated)         31   123

Proteins are USDA inspected and passed. Produce comes with certificates of guarantee. Recipes are grain and gluten free – Corn, wheat and soy free. We include human grade proteinated vitamins and minerals for better absorption. Complete and balanced diets. Nuggets and Bars are quick thaw and ready to serve.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:51:04 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »
They seem ok, the only thing(s) that bother me are adding garlic (in some recipes) and broccoli.  I can't explain it -- for some reason, broccoli just caught my attention.  But maybe that's just because I'm not a fan of eating it myself.   :-\

All that said, if these are emergency rations and not something you plan on feeding daily or even weekly, they look fine.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »
A lot of dog foods have garlic in them for flavoring. Not enough to hurt them though.

Broccoli? Vlad was shoving me this evening when I was making a broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage salad. LOL I put a few pieces over to the side for both of them, but made him wait until I finished preparing ours. Barkly loves the stuff too. They really do love their veggies and fruit.

But the more I look at the ingredients, the more I'm questioning the amount of potassium in it. I might test it out this month before Vlad has to have his 6-month blood tests.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 10:26:53 PM »
In an emergency I would feed it. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 10:31:02 PM »
I think, if I remember correctly, the thing with broccoli is that, like spinach, it's high in oxalates, which for cats can be a problem.  I don't know about dogs.

But the more I look at the ingredients, the more I'm questioning the amount of potassium in it. I might test it out this month before Vlad has to have his 6-month blood tests.

Totally forgot about Vlad's issue with potassium!   Doh1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 10:36:24 PM »
I think, if I remember correctly, the thing with broccoli is that, like spinach, it's high in oxalates, which for cats can be a problem.  I don't know about dogs.

Totally forgot about Vlad's issue with potassium!   Doh1

Broccoli used to be one of their usual veggies until Vlad developed Addison's. It's not THAT high, but it's higher than a lot of other things he gets: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2871?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=raw+broccoli&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

When he was first diagnosed, I was told though that he could eat just about any food that's on the market and not have problems. But they were talking kibble, and I wasn't. His vet and I decided that since I wasn't going to quit raw, then it would be best for me to find some lower potassium foods for his veg and fruit.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:35:15 AM »
Like the others said it seems okay as an emergency food. I cringe at all the fruits and veggies but that may just be because I don't feed dogs and don't know a lot about their nutritional needs.

Tags: