Author Topic: Well THIS doesn't make me happy  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Well THIS doesn't make me happy
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant will "will transition to two vehicles" being the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, as the only traditional cars it sells in the region. Ford sees 90 percent of its North America portfolio in trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Citing a reduction in consumer demand and product profitability, Ford is in turn not investing into the next generation sedans. The Taurus is no more.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-stop-selling-every-car-205243027.html

I realize trucks and SUVs have their purpose (though personally, I'd rather the auto industry bring back station wagons), but not everyone wants, needs or can afford something that big.  I don't care how much they've improved on gas mileage, I highly doubt any of them are getting 40mph or better like my little Ford does.  And I try to buy American when I can (yes, I know Honda, etc. have plants here, that's not the point).  I want traditional American cars. 

After GM took over Saturn and basically ruined those cars, I'd decided never to buy one of their vehicles again.  I've owned 2 Saturns -- the one pre-GM was an awesome car, great gas mileage, reliable, lasted 10 years, over 200k miles and I'd still be driving it if it hadn't been totaled in an accident.  So I bought a (post-GM) Saturn Ion.  What a lousy car.  Good gas mileage, but the problems it had...

So now that Ford won't be making these other cars, what are my options?  Go back to GM?  Get a Mustang?  Geez, can't SOME things stay the same (relatively speaking)?   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Well THIS doesn't make me happy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »
Well it looks like you might have a little time.

The company “will not invest in future Ford sedans,” CEO Jim Hackett said in a conference call with Wall Street analysts after market hours Wednesday. The only cars Ford will renew for the North American market are the Mustang, which is to be replaced with a new model in calendar 2020, and the new Focus Active, which, anyway, the company describes as a crossover SUV. It will be based on the new Focus lineup revealed this week at the Beijing auto show.

But Ford remains “committed” to the Lincoln MKZ and Continental, a spokesman said Wednesday night. There were no details forthcoming on the schedule for updating those two premium sedans.

Ford says the Taurus and Police Interceptor sedan will end production in March 2019, with the imported Fiesta leaving the market in May of next year. The Ford Fusion, which gets a facelift for the 2019 model year, its second in three years, will not be replaced, which means it probably has until 2022 or so, depending on sales.

Given the wholesale shift from sedans to SUVs and CUVs in the U.S. and Canadian markets, the Ford marque is going in big on what Jim Farley, executive vice president and president of global markets for the Ford Motor Company, calls “new silhouettes.” Ford is choosing the “much higher-performing” [in terms of profitability] utilities and not “traditional-silhouette sedans that tend to be commoditized.”
 http://www.automobilemag.com/news/ford-says-no-new-cars-u-s-except-mustang-focus-active-xuv/

Maybe you'll like that new Focus Active? They're not huge. And another note on the side, Mustangs are fun.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:03:11 AM »
Yep that's what the Chrysler Dodge salesman told me, no more sedans.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:43:55 AM »
Maybe you'll like that new Focus Active? They're not huge. And another note on the side, Mustangs are fun.

Don't want/need a muscle car (Mustang), or a hatchback.  I like my little Fiesta.  Yes, I'm pouting.

Yep that's what the Chrysler Dodge salesman told me, no more sedans.

WTH??  >:(  >:( >:(

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:57:16 PM »
Too many imports saturating the sedan market. Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota... With a couple oddballs thrown in like Fiat and Smart (But you wouldn't catch me in one of those death machines)... Ford, GM, Dodge....they can't compete with the reliability and mileage the imports get. So it only makes sense to phase them out. Unfortunate and sucks, but that's business.
Brandon

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:57:39 AM »
And quite a few of them are made in the US

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
And quite a few of them are made in the US

I don't care.  They're not "American" companies.  But as others have pointed out, I may not have a choice, unless I s-ck it up and go back to GM.   >:(

Tags: