Author Topic: US seeking 1 million for massive study of DNA, health habits  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Would I sign up for this?  H-LL NO!  And I can't imagine why anyone would.  "Never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse."  -- Sting

*SHUDDER*

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-wants-1-million-share-dna-health-habits-133123872.html

Sure, what genes you harbor can raise your risk for various diseases. But other factors can increase or reduce some genetic risks.

So first volunteers will share electronic health records and blood samples, and answer periodic questionnaires about their diet, sleep, environmental exposures and other lifestyle factors. They might wear fitness trackers and other sensors.

And later this year they'll start undergoing genetic testing, initially to look for so-called "variants" in DNA that affect disease risk, similar to what some private companies now sell, Collins said. Fully mapping the genetic code is too pricey now for a million people, but that more comprehensive approach eventually will be used with some participants, too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:15:22 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
Re: US seeking 1 million for massive study of DNA, health habits
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
Hello hackers - new data base!!!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »
They can do anything with your DNA at these ancestry sites once they've got it. It's in the fine print. They can sell it to anyone that comes up with the money (or possibly free for government entities).

All I can say is that this guy's name should be Dumas:

DNA profiles from ancestry websites helped identify the Golden State Killer suspect

A Wednesday press conference announcing the arrest focused heavily on DNA evidence linking DeAngelo to the crimes, but authorities didn’t specify how that DNA was obtained. Thursday, the Sacramento district attorney’s office confirmed to the Sacramento Bee that authorities had submitted EARONS’s DNA, collected from a 1978 crime scene, to online websites like Ancestry.com and 23andme.com. These websites allow individuals to look up information about their genetic background by matching their DNA against publicly available DNA profiles. Lead investigator Paul Holes said his team used the website GEDmatch, which creates profiles based on voluntarily shared, publicly available genetic info.

Now who wants a side of the government in their life?

If you don't understand my name reference, go to YouTube and search:  A&W Rootbeer Dumas
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
hey can do anything with your DNA at these ancestry sites once they've got it. It's in the fine print. They can sell it to anyone that comes up with the money (or possibly free for government entities).

I remember you posting about that, Dee.  But this isn't an ancestry site.  This is an actual database that you voluntarily sign up for and agree to share your medical information, DNA, blood info., lifestyle, etc. to these "researchers."  Think long-term clinical trial, but instead of testing a drug on volunteers, the volunteers share their medical info., as much of it as possible, so these "scientists" can try to figure out why some people die of certain things and others don't.  I wonder if they'll include things like meditation or prayer (under lifestyle) . . .

And let me just say again:  H-LL NO.

Hello hackers - new data base!!!

Yeah, that's just one of MANY reasons why I'd never do this.  *shudder*

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:45:58 PM »
What's scary about this new thing is that it's openly the government that's doing it right up front instead of in some fine print hidden somewhere. . .and there are plenty enough out there that are ignorant enough to do it.

We're getting closer and closer to everyone having a tattoo on their foreheads.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
What's scary about this new thing is that it's openly the government that's doing it right up front instead of in some fine print hidden somewhere. . .and there are plenty enough out there that are ignorant enough to do it.

We're getting closer and closer to everyone having a tattoo on their foreheads.

You know what's funny (in a non-humorous kind of way)?  Not one of the comments I've seen to that article are in favor of this, and most felt the same way you (and I) do.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »
What is next - cat people get chipped with their furries?

Tags: