Author Topic: Phooey-had to buy a new fan  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Phooey-had to buy a new fan
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »
My fan was dying. It's not dead yet, but it's doing funny things.  I realized it was going to have to be replaced. I worried this late in the season there wouldn't be any fans.  I found one at Lowes, but cripes it was $50 for an oscillating "desk" fan.  It was all they had though so I took it.  It's "stainless steel" is why it was so expensive.  I could have done with plastic, but I need a fan and it could not wait until I bought something on line.  I need a fan at night, my bedroom is intolerable without it.

Home Depot didn't have any at all.

For that price it should come with a remote.  It doesn't.

At least it doesn't smell.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Phooey-had to buy a new fan
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
My fan was dying. It's not dead yet, but it's doing funny things.  I realized it was going to have to be replaced. I worried this late in the season there wouldn't be any fans.  I found one at Lowes, but cripes it was $50 for an oscillating "desk" fan.  It was all they had though so I took it.  It's "stainless steel" is why it was so expensive.  I could have done with plastic, but I need a fan and it could not wait until I bought something on line.  I need a fan at night, my bedroom is intolerable without it.

Home Depot didn't have any at all.

For that price it should come with a remote.  It doesn't.

At least it doesn't smell.

50 bucks... whoa!  Glad you found one though!

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 06:26:16 PM »
Yeah.  My main worry with the dying fan was..fire.  If it's not operating right, what's to stop the motor bursting into flames in the middle of the night, you know?

So I was desperate to have one, tonight, because I worried about the darn thing all last night.
Can't help wondering if Lowe's jacked up the price, seeing their low stock and knowing anyone buying a fan at this time in the season would be desperate.

I know they don't order more in after a certain date, and I am sure that date has passed.  But I needed it, tonight.

A few months ago that much money, I would have shrugged it off, because I budget (used to) for expendable income..  Now, with a car payment, all expendable income is going on THAT, and I already made my payment this month, with this month's expendable income added to the minimum payment to work on the principle.

It's taking some work to shrug it off. Silly7

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:58:33 PM »
We've got 2 extras. One in the closet, and one out in the RV if we have to end up taking it in middle of winter. Might want to consider getting an extra and putting it somewhere.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 12:20:37 AM »
Yeah.  My main worry with the dying fan was..fire.  If it's not operating right, what's to stop the motor bursting into flames in the middle of the night, you know?

Peace of mind is worth $50!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:02:56 AM »
We've got 2 extras. One in the closet, and one out in the RV if we have to end up taking it in middle of winter. Might want to consider getting an extra and putting it somewhere.

I had two. Bought at the same time. The other one died last summer.  funny2

I will add another, but it won't be purchased locally because there are none. I'll get something on Amazon.

PS I do like the new fan but it takes up a lot more room on the little stand, so Queen Eva and Mazy cat can't getup to the perch. I'm going to have to work something out.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 07:58:00 AM »
I am sorry to hear about your predicament. Peace of mind and a comfortable bedroom are worth a budget adjustment.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. Peace of mind and a comfortable bedroom are worth a budget adjustment.

Thank you!  That is a perfect way to look at it and helps a lot.  Hug1

Peace of mind is worth $50!

Great minds think a like.  I appreciate you both
 Hug1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 05:08:00 AM »
That fan is a piece of junk. The blades keep falling off.

I'm taking it back. At the moment I am fanless until the one I just ordered from Amazon gets here.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B7XLMX/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 09:10:37 AM »
It will get there. You and the furries will make it. No other choice.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 01:12:23 PM »
It will get there. You and the furries will make it. No other choice.

That is true because no one has fans (locally) this time of year.  Of course the weather has turned insufferable again and my bedroom is hot and stuffy even at the best of times. What the hell I never sleep anyway so what's the difference I suppose.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
Any chance you could put a portable a/c unit in your room... have it vent out a window?  You did some pretty good handy work with your screened porch, that is the ONLY reason I am mentioning it. 
I have one like the one in the link.  It vents out the cat door.  There are mannnny different sizes, options, and prices.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-10-000-BTU-6-500-BTU-DOE-115-Volt-Portable-AC-w-Dehumidifier-Function-and-LCD-Remote-in-White-LP1015WNR/205649878

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »
I don't want an ac in my bedroom.  I hate the ac as it is. I can't stand the noise and having the house all shut up and it's been like that all summer long this year.  It's a nightmare.

The fan is bad enough, but necessary.  It wouldn't be quite so bad if there was any place else to put it besides right next to my bed.  But that's the only place.

But no I couldn't use one of those anyway, even if I did have any expendable income right now. I have casement windows.  Putting in the window unit in my living room is a very big deal every year.  The entire window has to be taken out.  My friend built a frame for the ac. The window gets taken out and the frame screed in, and the ac put into the frame.

Then I tape up the cracks with duct tape and we reverse the process in the fall.

Sorry it's so blurry. And sorry I'm so grouchy. The heat is impossible. Thanks for trying. I love you for it. kissyou

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
PS It is 80 degrees in here right now. It is 71 outside and 90% humidity..

It was almost 90 (in the house, 81 outside) when I came home for lunch and put the AC on.  The ac brought it down to 74, but I turned it off so the cats could get out on the porch and get some light and air, when I came home for work.

It's a nice night, outside. But not inside.  I can't bear to shut the house up and subject us all to that dreadful noise any more this evening.

Gosh aren't I just a ray of sunshine today,. haha.

PS again regarding the fan, it's only my fault I am fanless at the moment.  I should ahve ordered the amazon one the first time that expensive one broke.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 11:02:05 PM »
I don't know how your place is warming up.  Mine isn't.  It FINALLY got to 75 inside today, which is a good temp for me.

Anyway, sending GoodVibes and hoping the new fan comes soon.  Meanwhile, maybe this will help (ignore the poop part)  poophitfan

HangInThere
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: