Author Topic: Misa Vet Visit Today  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Misa Vet Visit Today
« on: July 16, 2018, 11:51:41 PM »
Her records (from a year ago) showed that she had conjunctivitis in one eye.  It also stated that she had a cough.  All was well at the next check-up.

When she came to us, she didn't have a cough, but she did have a runny eye.  The vet (not today's vet) said that it was nothing to worry about.  We have been giving her Llysine.  The eye continued to "run" off on on.  It is clear liquid.  If she gets stressed, it seems to run more.   

Yesterday she coughed a few times.  Didn't think toooo much about it.

For a 4 year old dog, she isn't very active. She doesn't play ball... has no interest.  Throwing a ball actually scares her.  She only goes on short walks, so it is difficult to know how far she would be willing to walk... if I could walk further.  No walks at all now with this heat.   :(

Her lack of activity bothers me a lot.

Anything going on outside... people walking their dogs, UPS truck, mail carrier, birds, etc... none of it bothers or interests her.  Meaning, when she is outside, she doesn't run from one end of the yard to the other chasing birds or keeping an eye on activity in the front of the house.  It doesn't matter what the neighbors are doing... if she can't see people, she doesn't care. 

This afternoon, when I woke up from a nap, she was breathing very rapidly...while she was napping as well.  All the above, plus the rapid breathing... I took her to the vet. 

The general stuff they check for... all good.  Since we were already at the vet, I requested blood testing.  The vet added a "Desert Dog Profile," to rule out Valley Fever and a few other things.  Just in case.  Works for me. 

We went to our first choice vet office, but saw yet another vet this time.  What was great about this vet...she has some personal experience with street dogs and feral dogs.  She TOTALLY understood Misa's anxiety with humans, AND didn't treat her like a killer dog.  She saw Misa for the sweet dog that she is, instead of assuming a fearfull dog was going to react in a bad way.  She totally got her!  Not that I blame people for assuming.  A fearful dog is usually not a good thing. 

Results in 3 days.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:52:53 AM by Lola, Reason: clairty »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Misa Vet Visit Today
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:44:07 AM »
So did the new vet say anything about her eye? Or is it all contingent on getting blood tests back?

I don't blame you for taking her to the vet at all, but I do know that these 2 often breathe rapidly when they're having active dreams.

Maybe you could get her a backpack and make her wear it around the house a couple of hours a day? Slowly adding more water bottles makes them build up stamina, and no running required. Just make her wear it around when she's active, and then when you start walking again.

https://wagbrag.com/how-to-train-your-dog-to-wear-a-backpack/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:31:56 AM »
I'm glad you took her in.  Having a vet know how to be with her is priceless.  So her breathing and heart sounded okay I take it. I'll be watching for updates.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
Vet called.
Still waiting on Valley Fever results.
However, "all vital organs are good." 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 06:04:12 PM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Forgot to address this...

I THINK the eye issue is on hold, until the Valley Fever results come in. 
Misa does often have active dreams.  She sometimes cries.  It makes me sad.  I just very quietly say her name, and she wakes up.  I have bad dreams, if I eat close to bedtime...not to mention what it does for my weight!    Silly7 
Seriously,  I wonder if there is ANY possibility that is the same for dogs. 
Right now, the feeding schedule is: 4 am, noon, and 8 pm.  Bedtime is 9 pm. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »
I have bad dreams, if I eat close to bedtime...not to mention what it does for my weight!    Silly7 
Seriously,  I wonder if there is ANY possibility that is the same for dogs. 
Right now, the feeding schedule is: 4 am, noon, and 8 pm.  Bedtime is 9 pm. 

Well, assuming it wouldn't totally mess up your routine/schedule, you could give it a try for a few days/week and see what happens.  If it doesn't make a difference, go back to the regular routine.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 05:14:25 AM »
Hmmm.  An hour seems like long enough to get the digestion process started. Maybe a little rescue remedy at bed time might help, but I don't know. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »
No Valley Fever and no ....whatever the other diseases were, that vet was looking for from the blood test.    :)

I emailed and asked for a copy of the test results for Misa's file at home.

When we give her Llysine, the eye issue stops.  I had stopped for a while, as a test, to see if the eye would produce the clear liquid.  When I stopped it came back.  The ONLY thing that comes to mind that the desert, the rescue house, and our house have in common... cats. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:10:32 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
Just received the test results, via email.  I wonder why the numbers in red are not a concern?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:17:04 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »
Maybe because they are only a trace high?

Well a quick search shows that it could indicate dehydration and to encourage the dog to drink more.  She's already on a raw diet, but maybe adding some extra water to her meals?

Then there was some other scarier thing called Polycythemia.

I would definitely call the vet and ask for more clarification.

Tags: