Author Topic: Animal Biome Fecal Matter Transplant pills aka Poop Pills  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Animal Biome Fecal Matter Transplant pills aka Poop Pills
« on: September 24, 2018, 05:11:07 AM »
https://www.animalbiome.com/products/kittybiome-feline-gut-microbiome-restoration-supplement

I have started Jennie on the poop pills. I am starting very slow, 1 capsule every 36 hours at first.  She had her first pill Friday morning. When I came home for lunch tehre was a poop from her as usual (still going 2-3 or more times a day) Part of it was her usual formed but soft bit with blood.  The other part was much softer but NO BLOOD. I felt a welling of hope.

Her next pill was Saturday night and she seemed to have a tummy ache for a few hours after.  Sunday morning she had her usual bloody poop, and then another episode of just a bit of blood pushed out.

Then she went 24 hours!! with no poop.  Even when she peed, no poop.  I didn't see if she tried (the irritation makes her feel like she has to go so is always trying to push more poop out)

So she's had 2 pills and is due another this morning.  This morning, 24 hours after her last poop she had a small formed poop, but FIRM, not soft.  Still bloody.

I will be copying this to Jennie's other thread as well.

EDIT  An hour later another small poop, mushy, but less blood.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Animal Biome Fecal Matter Transplant pills aka Poop Pills
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:20:10 PM »
From the website:

Fecal Microbiota Transplant Capsules:

Gut Health Microbiome Supplement, for Cats

The KittyBiome Gut Restoration Supplement is a science-backed fecal microbiota transplant capsule used to help restore gut health and relieve digestive, skin, and immune system symptoms.

More powerful than current probiotics and prescription diets, AnimalBiome Microbiome Supplements are sourced directly from healthy cat microbes, are easy to administer, and offer a gentle alternative to help balance your cat’s digestive system. 

Contains 50 oral capsules for microbiome enrichment (taken twice per day for 25 days). Our small capsules (size 4) work well for most cats. 

Was this your idea or vet recommended?  Did you get your "supply" from the vet, or order on your own?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
This was not a vet recommendation.  It was recommended to me by the IBD group, to restore her gut after the antibiotics. I have been following many IBD group members' use of this treatment for a couple of years.  Some report great improvements. The vet had mentioned trying a different probiotic.  Jennie isn't on any probiotic at the moment because what I had been giving her seemed to make things worse.

So when she mentioned different probiotic I asked the vet about AnimalBiome FMT and the vet said she had "heard of it".  I asked that she look into it more and give me her opinion.  I have not heard anything else about it from the vet.

I purchased the pills directly from the website.

Jennie has had 3 pills 36 hours apart.  She did have one poop, after the first dose that was partial blood (the firm part) and then a mushy part that was blood free.  After her 2nd dose she actually went 24 hours without passing any stool at all. But now she is back to multiple times a day, and the single stool she is passing are now mushy instead of formed.

I have been advised on the AnimalBiome site to back up, wait 2-3 days then start again, keeping the pills 2 days apart.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
Just to update this in case anyone wanders in from a search.  Jennie was diagnosed with cancer and I did not continue with the FMT, however, I had already stopped it before the diagnosis.  I didn't care for the results I was seeing, upset tummy, even nausea,  and once she had a weird episode that appeared neurological in nature. I did report it to AnimalBiome.

I should have asked them for my money back but I didn't think of it at the time, and they didn't offer a refund either.

Here is the report I sent:

About an hour after her fourth dose, which would have been 10 days after I started them, I was sitting on the couch and I had one cat on my lap and Jennie sleeping next to me.  Jennie suddenly woke up and started batting at Queen Eva's tail, or so I thought.

It seemed a strange behavior for her but as I turned to look at her I realized she wasn't playing, she was having a spasm. Her paw just happened to be moving against the other cat's tail. 

As I watched her entire body went into a spasm and she rolled over onto her back and her eyes were blank. I put my hand on her and she did not react, her body continued to stretch out and...shake.. for a few more seconds and then it stopped. This was before I knew she has cancer.  It never happened again (that I know of) but I never gave her another pill after that.

This treatment is heavily recommended in the IBD group, but I see a lot of posts both in the group and on the AnimalBiome page where the pet needs repeat courses of this to stay on track.

https://www.facebook.com/animalbiome/

In other words, the benefits are not permanent.

Tags: