Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40618 times)

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
It's great to see Jennie enjoying the sun's rays. I hope that she'll be able to do so for some time to come.

I'm so pleased that you were able to enjoy your hike MC. Fresh air recharges the soul.

Sending hugs as well as gentle strokes for Jennie .xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
Cute picture of Jennie in the sun beam.  Her hair looks good too!  :)
How is she doing today?
Not to drive you nuts, but I am curious... have you decided if you are going to give her the CBD oil?
You also mentioned that YOU would be trying it.  That peaked my interest as well.   ;D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
Cute picture of Jennie in the sun beam.  Her hair looks good too!  :)
How is she doing today?
Not to drive you nuts, but I am curious... have you decided if you are going to give her the CBD oil?
You also mentioned that YOU would be trying it.  That peaked my interest as well.   ;D

I am not going to give Jennie the CBD based on my own reaction to the single dose I took.  I didn't care for it at all. Granted I took a full dose of their highest concentration. But no where does it advise you to start slow.

I took it mid afternoon.  I was unable to SHUT MY BRAIN OFF the entire night in bed. And the next day I had icky intestinal issues and felt very dizzy and odd until well into the evening.

The funny part is, it tastes just like pot.  funny2

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »
Oh no MC. That's not the desired effect for Jennie.  :'(

How's the gorgeous girl doing today?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »
Oh no MC. That's not the desired effect for Jennie.  :'(

How's the gorgeous girl doing today?

Yeah, it wasn't nice.   It's not going to work for me or Jennie.  I had my doubts all along as you know. Thankfully I can return it for a refund.

Jennie is doing very well thank you! As long as I keep her meds on time she is comfortable and happy and Herself. She is taking the Cerenia nightly, the gabapentin every 8 hours, and so far she is only needing the buprenorphine 24 hours and 38 hours after the piroxicam. The 2nd dose is new, she was only getting it the 24 hours after.  But now I notice by mid afternoon on the second day (just before the piroxicam is due again) she needs a little help.  So I've gone to the evening and the next morning now.

For instance she gets the piroxicam at 5:15 pm (every 48 hours).  The next night she gets the bupe at 5:15 pm instead and then again the next morning around 7:30, before I leave for work.  A little later if it's the weekend.

Her appetite is terrific but she and Queen Eva had some of my baked boneless pork loin chops the other night, well it was the fat trimmings, which they both went crazy over, and Queen Eva handled it okay, but it has made for some really smelly moments for Jennie.  It gave her some gas too, so she won't be getting any more diet variations.

I just ordered her buprenorphine from Road Runner pharmacy though so that is good news. The original place the vet tech tried to hook me up with never followed up.  then when I tried to get on their website my firewall blocked it saying the site wasn't secure.  As I tried to find out more information I came across some very scary reviews about the place messing up dosages and things like that.  So i went with my gut and contacted the tech again and told her I didn't want to use them and could I use Road Runner.

Apparently she had sent me to the first one because the last time they checked Road Runner didn't have the buprenorphine. (there was a shortage a couple years ago I remember) Lucky for me and Jennie, they have it now. A three month supply for $75.00 shipped straight to my post office. (I have to sign for it because it is a controlled substance). Whew.

PS Here they were hoping for more pork trimmings as I sat and enjoyed my supper.  funny2

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the update!  Love the pics -- Jennie looks like she's smiling at you, as if she's thinking "If I smile, maybe she'll give me more."  Queen Eva, on the other hand, looks like she's sending you subliminal messages . . . "You WILL give me more . . . You WILL give me more . . . "

funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
Sorry the CBD oil didn't work out.  Glad you will be able to return it!
Jennie and Queen Eva staring you down... cute!

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2018, 07:28:23 AM »
Back to counter surfing:) She must be feeling better.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
Thanks all! love1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »
 Hug1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
I'm not sure why I am thinking this, but..it seems to me Jennie is now needing the buprenorphine more on a regular basis.  So I've put her on every 24 hours regardless of piroxicam schedule. I don't know if I am just making it up or if it's something subtle she is telling/showing me, but just in case, I am listening.

There isn't anything to lose, giving it to her more often, and if it keeps her pain free that's all that matters.

Other than that you'd never know, looking at her, that she is sick. She's absolutely glowing. Soft shiny coat, bright eyes, having her little play sessions.....

That is ALL that matters.

PS Frequent poops continue, but they are almost all formed and firm now. Not sure which med is doing that.  It's hard to describe what happens when she has to poop.  I think it causes her discomfort but there just isn't anything more I can do about that. I don't think she is straining, exactly......

She stands in the litter box for many minutes....waiting...then suddenly goes into her pushing position, producing the stool.  She does wait a long time, I am assuming each time, I don't watch her often because she doesn't like being watched, but I do every now and then, just to observe any changes. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
There isn't anything to lose, giving it to her more often, and if it keeps her pain free that's all that matters.

thumbsup1 thumbsup1

She's absolutely glowing. Soft shiny coat, bright eyes, having her little play sessions.....

heartbeatgif

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
Jennie seems to be having a rough day, pain wise, even with the bupe.

Appetite is great though. She eats all her canned food at every serving.  In case I never mentioned it Jennie is eating Castor & Pollux Organix chicken, and chicken & liver.  This would be a perfect canned food, if only it didn't have peas and pea protein (split ingredient listing which also is bad :( ).

I don't know if this formula has changed since Purina bought the company or not.  The food is USDA Certified Organic, and more importantly Non-GMO Project Verified.  The Non-GMO Project verification is very difficult to get and I trust it far more than I trust USDA organic certification.

I really detest putting money into the Purina coffers but this is the only canned food in the world that meets my criteria. And like I said, if it weren't for the peas it would be darn near perfect, as far as processed cat food goes.

Ziwi Peak would be a second choice, it's not organic or non-GMO Project certified but it's made in New Zealand with New Zealand sourced ingredients and free range grass fed humanely raised animals and they don't have GMOs over there yet.  However the Ziwi Peak foods contain bone and that seemed to cause Jennie problems, and I certainly wouldn't try bone-in food for Mazy cat.

They use chickpeas, supposedly for a binder. Probably not much better than peas, if at all.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »
I'm not sure why I am thinking this, but..it seems to me Jennie is now needing the buprenorphine more on a regular basis.  So I've put her on every 24 hours regardless of piroxicam schedule. I don't know if I am just making it up or if it's something subtle she is telling/showing me, but just in case, I am listening.

Yup, go with your gut.   thumbsup1

I think it causes her discomfort but there just isn't anything more I can do about that. I don't think she is straining, exactly......

She stands in the litter box for many minutes....waiting...then suddenly goes into her pushing position, producing the stool.  She does wait a long time, I am assuming each time, I don't watch her often because she doesn't like being watched, but I do every now and then, just to observe any changes.

Sounds a bit like constipation to me, but like you said, there's not much you can do about it.  You're giving her the fluids so if anything would make help with the poops, I would think that would.  You're doing everything you can, and it sounds like her quality of life is as good as it could possibly be.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

I really detest putting money into the Purina coffers but this is the only canned food in the world that meets my criteria.

We do the best we can, and you're doing great!   Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
Yup, go with your gut.   thumbsup1

Sounds a bit like constipation to me, but like you said, there's not much you can do about it.  You're giving her the fluids so if anything would make help with the poops, I would think that would.  You're doing everything you can, and it sounds like her quality of life is as good as it could possibly be.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

We do the best we can, and you're doing great!   Hug1

Ditto!!!!   Hug1

Tags: