Author Topic: Caring for a special needs cat- it is NOT spoiling  (Read 814 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Caring for a special needs cat- it is NOT spoiling
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »

So I've made this post, in the hopes that people will come across it, and understand that catering to a cat who needs special care will not spoil the cat.  It will help the cat get over the difficult spot, and the cat will feel better and be more likely to try harder to keep fighting illness, because of that special care and attention. And LOVE

As I sat on my bed just now hand feeding Jennie her breakfast, I started thinking about a thread I got involved with in another forum a few months ago.  The OP had a cat newly diagnosed with CKD and the cat was reluctant to eat.  The OP didn't want to "spoil" the cat or "cater to him" by using any of the various coaxing methods and incentives I had suggested, because she didn't want the cat to "expect this special attention all the time". Can you imagine? 

I tried to make the person understand that cats prefer to have dignity and take care of themselves, and when the cat was feeling better he would want to eat on his own, he wouldn't "demand" to be hand fed for all time.

I said I have a lot of experience taking care of special needs cats, both with short illnesses, chronic illnesses and fatal illnesses.  I know this to be so.

Well, this person didn't want to hear about my experience and then two more people felt the need to jump in and tell me how "cruel" I was being to the OP about her cat and how "dangerous" it was to "spoil" a cat.

Aside from remarking that it was the cat I was concerned with, not the owner, at that point I withdrew from the thread.  A few more posts followed aimed at me and my cruelty, but I didn't take the bait.

I received a PM from a moderator thanking me for dropping out of the thread and assuring me that I was neither cruel or unfeeling and felt that I had given very good advice.

What's my point in all this?

My point is, that cats who need special care will not "take advantage of the situation".  When the cat feels better again, she or he will want to eat by herself again.

I have seen this with Bibbs  angel5, Ootay angel5, Tolly angel5, Mazy cat and now Jennie. Jennie wants to eat but because of (I suspect) the antibiotic, she just doesn't feel like it.  She had eaten her first breakfast on her own (with various incentives to help her finish) but when I called her for her 2nd meal 45 minutes later she didn't come.  I brought it to her in bed and put it in front of her (with freeze dried chicken breast sprinkled over, I started with the big guns right away)

She tried to eat it but couldn't. I sat next to her and fed her, bit by bit, from a little spatula.  She would take a nibble, pause, look away.  Then take another nibble.  And so on. The whole process took about 15 minutes to feed her half an ounce of canned food, and she ate every bite except the very last bit.

I have no "fear" that she will demand to be fed this way all the time.  I know, that when she feels better she will prefer to get up and come out and eat in her usual meal spot. She has done so, again and again. As has Mazy cat. And all the others.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Caring for a special needs cat- it is NOT spoiling
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
Sadly, some people just aren't open to advice, no matter how good the intentions of the person giving it.  I'm sorry you were treated that way, but thank you for sharing your experiences and advice here.   Hug1

I, too, hand-fed Sweetie Girl (Pookie's sister) when she didn't want to eat.  I never once thought of it as "spoiling."  IMO, "spoiling" is buying all sorts of toys, fancy kitty condos and cat beds when they're usually happy with simple things (like a rolled up ball of aluminum foil or a ping pong ball to swat around).

Jennie wants to eat but because of (I suspect) the antibiotic, she just doesn't feel like it. 

Some antibiotics affect the taste buds, at least in humans.  Perhaps that's the case here as well.  Either way, you are doing everything you can to keep her comfortable.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: