Author Topic: It’s Not “All In How You Raise Them”: The Role Of Genetics In Behavior  (Read 1052 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
It’s Not “All In How You Raise Them”: The Role Of Genetics In Behavior

If you’re a dog owner, I’m sure you’ve heard this refrain.

Conventional wisdom says that young puppies come to us as blank slates.  Full of promise and limitless potential, ready to be molded into your ideal companion as long as you do your part – provide lots of love, the right amount of discipline, and appropriate training along the way.  If you’re a caring, responsible pet owner, there’s no reason that your puppy should not grow up to be a model canine citizen.

“Bad” dogs are the fault of bad owners, right?  After all, it’s all in how you raise them.

Continued at: http://www.drjensdogblog.com/its-not-all-in-how-you-raise-them-the-role-of-genetics-in-behavior/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Wow.... pretty interesting!  I also believe "bad" dog = bad pet parent. 

snip...

the misplaced guilt that comes with having a much-loved dog who is also severely aggressive or fearful of everything can be crushing.

Putting our Sparky down, due to severe behavior issues... was absolutely crushing.  I'll never know if it was human error or genetics that caused her behavior.  Either way, it totally SUCKS when you can't "fix" them.   :'(

Miss ya Sparky girl!  (Nov was 3 years)   rainbow3

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: