Author Topic: Dog food for specific breeds?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Dog food for specific breeds?
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »
My co-worker told me that he's feeding his French bulldog a food made specifically for that breed by Royal Canin.  I can only assume he meant this:  http://www.chewy.com/dog/royal-canin-bulldog-24-dry-dog-food/dp/29847
 or the puppy food: http://www.chewy.com/dog/royal-canin-bulldog-puppy-30-dry-dog/dp/37655

I've never heard of pet food marketed for specific breeds.   :-\  Then I looked at the ingredients (this is the puppy food):

Chicken meal, brown rice, brewers rice, oat groats, chicken fat, wheat gluten, natural flavors, dried beet pulp, fish oil, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, powdered cellulose, potassium chloride, fructooligosaccharides, sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, DL-methionine, taurine, hydrolyzed yeast, choline chloride, vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract, Trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], chondroitine sulphate, rosemary, preserved with natural tocopherols and citric acid.

And my co-worker tells me the breeder recommended it, and so did the vet, who sells it, and that "it's the best money can buy."  ARRRGH!!!   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:58:28 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dog food for specific breeds?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
Biggest red flag--Vet sells it.

It's so NOT the best, and yes they've had breed specific from Royal Canin for a long time.

You already know how I feel about cellulose and the fact that it's made from pine trees.

Introduce him to this site at least:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/royal-canin-mini-dry/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Dog food for specific breeds?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
I wouldn't feed my neighbor's dog Royal Recall...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: