Author Topic: Are we not getting the word out?  (Read 23600 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Are we not getting the word out?
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
Found this when looking for the Cat litter I bought at the grocery store.
This to me is very disheartening.  Are we not getting the word out enough about feline nutrition?
Or is it that people just dont care?
Look at the ingredients of this food then look at the comments left by people. bangsheadgif
I think that the more of us that spread the word the better, and No I do not think it is "CULT" like.
After all it is based on facts and science. An idea would be since facebook is so popular why not start a group, or join a group that you can post in. As you know I have done this, and it is an open group to get the word out.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat40002&catIds=6&catIds=41&next=37&productId=16993
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Are we not getting the word out?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
Here's the  biggest problem, Shadow.  For every one of us, there's probably 500 vets selling worse food than that out of their clinics (not saying this junk is good but at least this food has some meat listed).

2 of the 5 comments:

My male cat developed crystals and had to have a special diet that i could only purchase from the Vet..well it was very expensive. So when PC came out with this one..i was a bit nervous to try it because it is significantly cheaper and didn't want to cause my cat any harm...but approx 5 years later he is still on this food...

Very Impressed
5 out of 5
by srhrmg
November 14, 2010
My two cats have been on a vet brand food for urinary health for years know. The last time I went to buy another $40 bag I asked if there was any food sold at the grocery store that would be as good as their current food. The vet tech told me that the only way to make sure the pet food does what it says and has complete and balanced nutrition is if it has gone through feed tests with AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials).... Curious, the next time I was grocery shopping I checked out the cat food. I was delighted to see, PC Finicky Cat pH ...>>

Until the veterinary associations are no longer funded by PFI, most people are just going to continue rushing their cats to the ERs for blockages and other crisis when they pop up out of nowhere.   Even people who are knowledgeable about ingredients won't address this issue. It's a no-win situation, IMO, until some high-profile lawyer finally calls out the conflict of interest -- and because cats ARE strict carnivores, Malpractice, I would think.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:00:14 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
Sorry, Shadow, for some reason I couldn't see the comments.   :(

Before Pookie's sister started her downward slide, and I actually had the energy to try to get the word out, I considered contacting 60 Minutes or Oprah or similar shows and directing them to Dr. Hodgkins' book and Dr. Pierson's site to see if they would do a story on pet foods and the problems with the industry, etc.  Never did get around to it, and honestly, I don't know if they would do it because they might "offend" their advertisers.  Though I think Oprah could afford it.

It's going to be a loooong battle, David vs. Goliath, but it's a battle that can be won one pet parent at a time.  Unfortunately some will learn the hard way, like some of us did.  But I keep trying to get the word out, either with my "business cards" and flyers.  I wish more people were open to the information, but you can only lead the horse to water . . .

If this is a "cult" or a "club" then all I can say is, the cost of admission to this "club" was way too high.  I would give almost anything if I could go back to when Pookie and his sister were kittens and I could know then what I know now.   :(

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »
Hi Pookie

You are right about the advertisers.

I didn't work for a while and spent every waking hour composing close to 450  individualised letters to the above; every "On your side" investigator out there; sent tips via their websites... and other assorted mediots, consumer groups, Attorneys General, you name it. Included "off the Juice" threads  with summaries of quotes, one within Dr. Pierson's article on her website.

Submitted information to every contact under every category on both Oprah & Ellen's sites, and didn't receive responses. Had some "news" papers and even the CEO of Faux news on the telephone. These people didn't even pretend to sound interested. Maybe I was too polite back then, I'm not sure.

Sent info to smaller independent outlets; Satellite radio hosts; PBS programmers... Every one I could find received info with proof of what we are saying. This of course was back when I was polite with them, naive. After two years, I began asking them why they are not doing their duty to inform the public of consumer fraud.

The first half of my webpage is a longer version of the letter I was sending out by then. Answers Nobody Knows. Back then,  proof of all the Diabetic cats going into remission was the focal point. Quotes and links of veterinarians (not selling stuff) didn't matter to them, either.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
Sorry, Shadow, for some reason I couldn't see the comments.   :(

Before Pookie's sister started her downward slide, and I actually had the energy to try to get the word out, I considered contacting 60 Minutes or Oprah or similar shows and directing them to Dr. Hodgkins' book and Dr. Pierson's site to see if they would do a story on pet foods and the problems with the industry, etc.  Never did get around to it, and honestly, I don't know if they would do it because they might "offend" their advertisers.  Though I think Oprah could afford it.

It's going to be a loooong battle, David vs. Goliath, but it's a battle that can be won one pet parent at a time.  Unfortunately some will learn the hard way, like some of us did.  But I keep trying to get the word out, either with my "business cards" and flyers.  I wish more people were open to the information, but you can only lead the horse to water . . .

If this is a "cult" or a "club" then all I can say is, the cost of admission to this "club" was way too high.  I would give almost anything if I could go back to when Pookie and his sister were kittens and I could know then what I know now.   :(

Yes you are the one a long time ago that sent me the flyer example.  I use that and Im trying to figure out how to do a business card too.  I dont think Oprah would have been much help since she has pets and she is basically a supporter of the food that she feeds. If I recall it was not the greatest food. :-\
Years ago I emailed Michael Moore, this is all after the recalls happened, but did not get a response. :(

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
Problem is CC is that many of these Talk show hosts are all sponsored by, or ad for PFC on their shows. For example Ellen feeds Halo to her pets.  I thought Michael Moore was a good choice as he really likes to dig into the dirt on matters, and expose things. Just my opinion.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »
Shadow, I suggested MM on TAPF & the only person not to ignore it flamed me -- I've written to him several times. One of the addys MMFlint@aol.com must have been legit because I had to keep trying until it went through due to mailbox being full.

There are also a bunch of links on his site to contact for different things and did that too. Even though he may not respond, it's still more optimistic to think somebody independent like him might at least be interested to dig into it if it's "juicy" enough for him. Never know...

Haven't wasted a keystroke on any of the mainstream wastes for a while now.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »
INGREDIENTS

Corn, corn gluten meal, chicken, chicken meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), digest (a source of natural flavour), brewers rice, fish meal, dried whole egg, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, calcium sulphate, brewers dried yeast, taurine, calcium carbonate, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, vitamin supplements (A, D, E), niacin, copper sulphate, manganese sulphate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12, calcium iodate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulphite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

groangif

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:10:58 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »

agreegif

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »
Corn, corn gluten meal, chicken, chicken meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), digest (a source of natural flavour), brewers rice, fish meal, dried whole egg, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, calcium sulphate, brewers dried yeast, taurine, calcium carbonate, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, vitamin supplements (A, D, E), niacin, copper sulphate, manganese sulphate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12, calcium iodate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulphite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

Vs. a VERY EXpensive "Urinary" food

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

See what I mean?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
GREAT comparison!!  

They both DO have taurine.  Neither has animal digest.  I found two pluses.  /sarcasm

CORRECTION:  I do see "digest" listed.  It is "explained" as "a source of natural flavor."   catsterpuke
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:37:17 PM by Lola »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
The second one is "prescription" carp.   Brewer's rice must be Medicine, right? People are getting RIPPED OFF! Not by WalMart or PetCo but by Medical "professionals".   :o

And Pork fat?  Would a cat even eat pork? (unless it's Medicine   cat2 cat2 )

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
Which brings us right back to Shadow's OP:

Found this when looking for the Cat litter I bought at the grocery store.
This to me is very disheartening.  Are we not getting the word out enough about feline nutrition?
Or is it that people just dont care?

Shadow, I got wind of the harmful ingredients before the recall catastrophe. So when they hit, a couple of people were asking me which foods were safe. I told/gave them EVERYthing.

To this day, one person feeds such a food (probably the very one above) to her cat who after blockages and issues is now obese because her vet "prescribes" it.  bangsheadgif bangsheadgif
I know at least two others who do the same (one is a dog which continues to scratch its' skin raw.)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
You guys know I agree with you about feline nutrition.  All my cats are on canned grain free food with the exception fo my FLUTD cat.  She, unfortunately, eats the "Prescription crap" as it is the ONLY food which has proven to keep her healthy and crystal free.  When her problem started she was eating canned Fancy Feast, no fish flavors.  Mostly the "classic" pates, but also a few of the chunks and gravy styles.  After her third UTI in less than a year, crystals were discovered and she was put on the Hills Prescription c/d. For the next 2 years her annual urine cultures were great, perfect pH, no crystals.  Then the melamine poisoning happened and I began reading about feline nutrition.

After some trial and error I found, I thought, a good food that all the cats would eat, canned grain free wellness.  I told my vet I wanted to put my FLUTD kitty on this food too.  She advised against it, but knew I would do it anyway.  Two months after full transition I brought her in for a urine culture.  Her pH was 7.5 and her urine was full of struvite and phosphorous crystals. Back to the c/d.  She won't eat the canned c/d which would make me a little happier, but she won't. Two more years passed with "picture perfect" annual urine cultures.

Then I started getting antsy about the dry diet issue again.  By now I was no longer feeding Wellness, my cats were (are) eating other grain free diets, and the one my FLUTD kitty likes is the Merrick Before Grain.  So again, I tried switching her to this canned diet.  Again, after a few months, I had her urine culture done. And yep, the pH had gone back up to 7, and the urine was full of crystals.

There is no explaining it, but the Hills Prescription c/d, as horrible as the ingredients read, keeps my FLUTD cat's urine at the proper pH and crystal free. I hate it, and I struggle daily to accept it, because I have enough stress in my life already, and if I could just accept that this is what she has to eat, maybe I'd be a happier person.

As for educating the masses, people hear what they want to hear.  We mustn't ever give up though, because every now and then someone actually hears what we are saying, and switches their cats to something good and healthy, and that someone is always amazed by the difference.  And that one person may go on to persuade some one else, and so on.  

There are always going to be millions who don't give a darn about their cats' nutrition, all they care about is if it's cheap and easy. They just don't care.  "It's just a cat".

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
PS But what really scares me is people buying grocery store brand kibbles for their cats, especially MALE cats, who have already been diagnosed with urinary tract problems.

And people in vet offices telling them to do it. I don't know why the "crappy" prescription foods work, but they do.