Author Topic: Memory is selective  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Memory is selective
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
I wouldn't be allowed to say this in the forum/thread that sparked the thought but I will say it here.  Isn't it strange how people always say "our cats when I was a kid always lived into their twenties even though they went outside and ate meow mix".

People ALWAYS say that.  It is my opinion that memory is not reliable and it is much more likely that those cats didn't live beyond 12 at the most and probably many, less than that.

I, too, remember my childhood cats as living long healthy lives (they were indoor/outdoor and ate canned puss-n-boots).  When thinking back, and conferring with my mother (who has their ashes) I discovered about 10 years ago that two of the cats from my girlhood made it to about 14 or 15 . Of the rest, one was poisoned, one was caught in a car motor and had her jaw mangled, one disappeared.

That is about the norm, for indoor/outdoor cats.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Memory is selective
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »
I hear you, MC.

And so many people consider 12-14 to be "long, healthy" lives.  Heck, some people consider even less years than that as such  :(

Sorry not cats, but with our dogs, we knew which grade (in school) we were in (what teachers we had; who had graduated ... ) when they died & that's how we'd remember. There was a bunch of us siblings lol.    Remember dog being older than I was in high school  :-[  Thought they'd live forever....17-18 was more the norm back then (we found the sturdy stray, mid-sized to smaller mutts.   :)  )

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
I overheard a conversation at work and someone mentioned that 7 years is a really long life for a cat. 7. That is not even middle aged. I did not, however, join the coversation, it would have gotten heated due to who was involved in it. I just shook my head and walked away.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
The two who made it to 14 and 15 (died within 6 months of each other, after being together all their lives) were inside cat for the last 7 or 8 years of their lives.  By then my mother no longer believed in letter cats outside. 

One of those cats was "mine", but when I left home at age 20, she was 8 years old and I didn't think it was fair to take her away from all she knew and loved so I left her there. According to my little sister she missed me quite a lot, but I still think she was happier than she would have been, traveling with me.

My first cat as an adult, after I got settled in my new place was a little black kitten I named Blackberry, Bear for short, someone dumped in a parking lot.  I still didn't know any better and I let him out after he was neutered.  He came home the first time, but the second time, I never saw him again.

My next cat, and all after that, stayed inside.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
I overheard a conversation at work and someone mentioned that 7 years is a really long life for a cat. 7.

bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
The shelter I used to volunteer at put labels up on the cages of cats that were over age 8 that said "Senior Kitty" .... Riled me to no end. 8 isn't even over half their potential life, and you're labeling them as if they're not going to make it another couple years.. Effectively REDUCING their chances of being adopted. I brought this up to several people there, but it always fell on deaf ears.
Brandon

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
When people say "My cat always ate *cheapass food* and lived 'til *20+* years", I actually ask if they were in/out cats.  Chances are, if they went out, the cat was most likely *supplementing* their diet with fresh, natural food... even if it was just bugs and small prey.

Then I usually comment that the cat was lucky not to be stolen/hit/poisoned/preyed on/tortured by kids while they were out and about.

In other words, it wasn't the food that gave them such longevity.

And I agree... 8 years old is senior?  Tell that to the Furmonsters, who are all 10 this year and are not slowing down one bit.
  kittybutterfly kittyball party1
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
One of my sisters has always fed dry and a litttttle wet. 
I thought I remembered one of her cats in particular, living to a ripe old age.  (Sister is quite a bit older, so I was still a youngster when she was out of the house.) 
Her and I recently had a conversation about this particular cat.  I asked her how old he was when he passed.  Her answer... 12 ...Renal Failure. 

The shelter that Jenkins came from... 6 year old cats are considered senior.   :o  I'm glad I'm not a cat living there.  I'd be in a nursing home already!

Our oldest will turn 12 this week. There is NOTHING about her that is "old." 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: