Author Topic: There have been explosions in Boston near the marathon finishline  (Read 8193 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: There have been explosions in Boston near the marathon finishline
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 02:17:47 AM »
Especially for a small-time site that's just serving a police station or just a scanner.

Did you ever go to any of the Reddit sites? I was talking about that place specifically when they started going down before the little sites started being thrown out there. It seemed to be all of Reddit that was crashing.

Isn't Reddit a pretty big site for just regular traffic to take out? They actually said they were having a DDOS attack at the top of their page and in that article.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 02:22:39 AM »
Oh, I missed that it was reddit.. In that case it probably was a planned DDoS, reddit is pretty large I think, from what I've heard, but I've never been to the site before so I don't know anything about it firsthand. Didn't realize you were talking about them being DDoS'd, my mistake.
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 02:23:49 AM »
Well I figured that if whoever was crashing Reddit was able to do that, they could DDOS ANY site they wanted to as well.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 02:29:16 AM »
Indeed. Like you mentioned, bot-nets.. Ordinary users' compromised computers' internet connections being used, tens of thousands of them I would not be surprised... Like the one that reportedly slowed down the internet itself earlier this year. A little different, but same concept I guess.
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »
Like the one that reportedly slowed down the internet itself earlier this year. A little different, but same concept I guess.

I'm pretty sure that's just part of the reason that the NSA is building that giant, new super-system in Utah:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

Their outdated equipment just won't cut it when it comes to today's hackers and their bot-net abilities. SO many people are unaware of what the hackers do, and what they need to be guarding their computers against. They get online and click on anything and everything while signing up for all of it--just like the zombies that the hackers turn their computers into for massive, controlling strength.

Once they've got THAT thing built though, who knows exactly how strong the government here will be in today's 2nd world that's a virtual control-booth for controlling all our lives(?)!

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 02:49:07 AM »
One way or another, this government is going to cause an all-out revolutionary war 2.0 if it keeps up like it is... And it is going to be a massive mess. It almost makes me want to stay in Alaska because it IS remote, away from the mainland where the worst of the stuff is likely to occur.
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 03:01:47 AM »
It almost makes me want to stay in Alaska because it IS remote, away from the mainland where the worst of the stuff is likely to occur.

Just makes me want to move back up to the Appalachian mountains where my families first started hundreds of years ago--before they decided to move further south--away from the government invaders. http://www.whatisamelungeon.webs.com/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:05:46 AM by DeeDee »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311982/Boston-bombing-Watertown-homeowner-finds-suspect-Dzhokhar-Tsarnaev-boat.html#ixzz2QynyNdUR

Whose surveillance camera took that shot of him climbing into the boat? I guess they didn't have motion-detector-alarms on the cam.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »
Someone  whistle1 gave me a link to a Boston police scanner.  I listened to that, until the wee hours of the morning.  Kinda makes me scratch my head as to why the news media doesn't get their facts from a scanner.  Or if they do... just stick to scanner details and skip reporting guesses and rumors. 

I knew they sucked, but listening to the news reports while listening to the police scanner... HUGE difference in details. 

I followed on a Sports forum & people posting what they were hearing on their TVs was the one comic relief throughout that nightmare.  Were saying how they kept on keeping on about "Nude Guy", too.   

Posts included (paraphrasing):  "CNN has confirmed reports that it is now dark out"  and "...would be able to travel on water in a boat..."   

Not sure if it was satire, or what people really heard lol. 

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 11:54:48 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311982/Boston-bombing-Watertown-homeowner-finds-suspect-Dzhokhar-Tsarnaev-boat.html#ixzz2QynyNdUR

Whose surveillance camera took that shot of him climbing into the boat? I guess they didn't have motion-detector-alarms on the cam.

From what I've read, boat is the gentleman's "baby"; takes immaculate care of it. 
 Probably because they would probably freak the n'hood out whenever a neighbor, maintenance person ... loose dog or something goes near.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 02:29:52 AM »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: