Author Topic: Just How Many Shelter Dogs Are Euthanized B/C Of Imports?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Just How Many Shelter Dogs Are Euthanized B/C Of Imports?
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »
The subject line is my question. Just how many animals from here die because of another country's import taking their place? This is just another one of those things that I think we should be taking care of all that are here before we reach out for others elsewhere. So many rescues yell, "Adopt. Don't Shop," however they don't consider at all that those imports are removing other chances for those that end up euthanized. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me. I realize my opinion won't be the most popular, but it's still my belief.

Unscrupulous distributors take advantage of Americans’ well-known love for dogs and their empathy for an underdog. As a result, the United States has become a dumping ground for foreign “puppy mill” and “rescue” dogs. We import an estimated 1 million dogs annually from Turkey, several countries in the Middle East and as far away as China and Korea, according to the National Animal Interest Alliance.

Historically, rescue groups were run by committed breeders or kennel clubs that carefully vetted a small number of dogs and matched them with appropriate homes. But with the popularity of the “adopt don’t shop movement,” the sale of large numbers of random-source dogs deceptively labelled as “rescue pets” has become a big business.

Read the rest at: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/06/30/us-has-become-dumping-ground-for-foreign-puppy-mill-and-rescue-dogs-here-s-what-needs-to-change.html

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Just How Many Shelter Dogs Are Euthanized B/C Of Imports?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
This business is popular in the UK too.I see it all the time in a UK forum I belong to.  And most times they are threads of heartbreak.

People in favor say well but these dogs need saving too. Well no one can save them all, can they.  And what's happening is this has become a real racket and scam.

I'm with you Dee.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
No dogs here. Pull up any European newspaper and you get the daily dose of illegal puppy mills moving loads across borders under conditions beyond description. Who buys an animal a future family member from a stranger?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »
I guess I'm on the fence about it.  I've seen dog imported after disasters...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: