Author Topic: Have Y'all Been Keeping Up with Susan Thixton's FB Today?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Have Y'all Been Keeping Up with Susan Thixton's FB Today?
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
She's been posting things from that AAFCO meeting today:

https://www.facebook.com/Truth-About-Pet-Food-184024450508/

Some of it is SO disheartening!

Also read from Dr. Judy Morgan:

https://www.facebook.com/JudyMorganDVM/?fref=nf
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Have Y'all Been Keeping Up with Susan Thixton's FB Today?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:13:16 AM »
I haven't kept up with it.  I'm hoping Dr. Jean Hofve posts a summary. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
UPDATE Re: Have Y'all Been Keeping Up with Susan Thixton's FB Today?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »
AAFCO Notes Ingredient Definitions Committee

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/aafco-notes-ingredient-definitions-committee/

Here are my notes from the Ingredient Definitions Committee meeting. This is where human grade and feed grade were approved, where a verbal fight took place with PFI, and I’ll start with a funny story that happened just before the meeting began.

This was a 3 hour meeting – thus…there are many notes.

As an consumer representative adviser to this committee, we get to sit ‘at the table’. The ‘table’ is in the front of the room, with AAFCO members, FDA members, and advisers sitting all around it (it is ‘U’ shaped). Sitting on one side of me was Dr. Jean Hofve, sitting on the other side of me was an AAFCO State Department of Agriculture representative. As I sat down the AAFCO member joked – asking me if I brought the blender. Confused, I asked: ‘blender?’ He said, the blender for the margarita’s. (These meetings are tough, and margarita’s would be welcomed by most everyone to help us through them – but it was meant as a joke.) I joked back that I forgot the blender – my bad for forgetting. But interestingly I told him one of our group had an organic margarita at the bar last night. His response: “At this point, I’d settle for a feed grade margarita.”. . .continued

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 12:53:02 AM »
 thumbsup1 I have been keeping up with it :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »
HUMAN GRADE OR FEED GRADE PET FOOD? WHO DECIDES?

http://drjudymorgannaturalpetcare.blogspot.com/2016/01/human-grade-or-feed-grade-pet-food-who.html

The Pet Food Committee meeting at the mid-year AAFCO meeting was, as usual, one of the most interesting. One of the best things to come out of the committee recently, in my opinion, will be the addition of calorie content statements on the labels of all pet foods, supplements, and treats, by January 2017. This could provide extremely valuable information to owners of obese pets who hand out treats like candy, ignoring the fact that there are actually countable calories being doled out.

Another step forward was a published method for determining the carbohydrate content of pet foods. Currently, carbohydrate content is not listed on the bag under ingredient analysis, leaving the calculations up to the pet owner, assuming they have any idea how to even arrive at an estimate (most have no clue, why would they?). . .continued

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
Thanks for the updates, DeeDee!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: