Author Topic: Irrational feelings....  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Irrational feelings....
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:18:50 AM »
I have this......unreasoning resentment toward flossing my teeth.  I do it, because the results are worth it.  But my gosh I HATE it!  It's ridiculous, how bent out of shape I get every day when it's time to floss.

Am I the only one?  Does everyone else take flossing in stride? 

Does anyone else have some irrational dislike of some basic every day chore that most people don't even notice when they have to do it? I hope someone does, so I don't feel so alone! :-[

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Irrational feelings....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
I have this......unreasoning resentment toward flossing my teeth.  I do it, because the results are worth it.  But my gosh I HATE it!  It's ridiculous, how bent out of shape I get every day when it's time to floss.

Am I the only one?  Does everyone else take flossing in stride?  

Does anyone else have some irrational dislike of some basic every day chore that most people don't even notice when they have to do it? I hope someone does, so I don't feel so alone! :-[

You are allllllll alone...             iminnocent
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:03:46 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
On a serious note...

I, in NO WAY, advocate NOT flossing.  With that said, I started using a Phillips Sonic brush a few years ago.  My teeth and gums had HUGE positive results, in less than a year.  I'm a 'hit and miss' flosser.  My dentist and hygienist both assume (due to the condition of my teeth and gums) that I floss every day. 

I could do commercials for Sonic Care!  THAT is how pleased I am with it. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
I used to use a sonicare, but I thought the quality of it was terrible. For the price of the thing, it should last at least a year (I'm not talking about the brush, I mean the whole unit) But it broke in less than 12 months, and I was slow to learn my lesson, bought another and that one broke in less than 6 months.

I now use a Braun Oral B "vitality" which is going on two full years (again, not the brush part, I change that every 3 months)

I guess I'm doing all right with the brushing and flossing, I missed my 6 months check up and when I went yesterday the hygienist said she'd never have known it, there was no tartar or bleeding at all when she scaled. (but then she added "don't wait so long again, LOL)

My grinding is getting worse though, and I have to have a filling replaced, where one broke off and some decay set in. I wear a guard, but sometimes I forget to use it, and sometimes I take it out in my sleep without realizing it. There's a bit trough on my bottom teeth now from grinding.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
I used to use a sonicare, but I thought the quality of it was terrible. For the price of the thing, it should last at least a year (I'm not talking about the brush, I mean the whole unit) But it broke in less than 12 months, and I was slow to learn my lesson, bought another and that one broke in less than 6 months.

I now use a Braun Oral B "vitality" which is going on two full years (again, not the brush part, I change that every 3 months)

I guess I'm doing all right with the brushing and flossing, I missed my 6 months check up and when I went yesterday the hygienist said she'd never have known it, there was no tartar or bleeding at all when she scaled. (but then she added "don't wait so long again, LOL)

My grinding is getting worse though, and I have to have a filling replaced, where one broke off and some decay set in. I wear a guard, but sometimes I forget to use it, and sometimes I take it out in my sleep without realizing it. There's a bit trough on my bottom teeth now from grinding.

I have had the Sonic Elite for years and years.  My mother and sisters all have them too.  I can understand one having an issue...but two?  Odd
SOME companies (For the record...I have NO IDEA if Phillips does. :) )  make lessor quality products that are sold at a LARGE retailer.  The large retailer kinda sorta forces a mfg to lower the quality, so that the item can be sold (retail) at a low price.  Very few mfg will tell the large retailer to stuff it.  Most cave to their demands.  Without naming names..any chance you bought yours at WM or their big box store?  (Just curious.) 

I have the same grinding issues that you do.  The damage grinding does is horrible! I just recently "graduated" to the under the teeth damage from grinding.  *sigh*

Crystal Blue

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »

The large retailer kinda sorta forces a mfg to lower the quality

Lola LOVES Walmart.  cryingfunny

;)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »
HA!  I have both brushes so I'm going to alternate!! :D

MiddleChild, I guess I'm with you. I'm always afraid I'm going to do it "too hard" and hurt-recede my gums or something. I am also probably being 'too gentle' to achieve the maximum benefits and admit I "skip" more than I should.    
I'm an oddball -- don't grind.   ;D

I'm afraid I can vouch for Lola's comment regarding product "requirements" for certain larger retailers. Products are actually being "squeezed out" on certain shelves, in short due to such demands which one company didn't want to flow with thus is being drown out by others who would.  Probably why some people I know are on "Vacation" right now, considering it was such a big account.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
The large retailer kinda sorta forces a mfg to lower the quality

Lola LOVES Walmart.  cryingfunny

;)

Did ya miss the part where I said...without naming names?  Ya nut!   ;D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
HA!  I have both brushes so I'm going to alternate!! :D

MiddleChild, I guess I'm with you. I'm always afraid I'm going to do it "too hard" and hurt-recede my gums or something. I am also probably being 'too gentle' to achieve the maximum benefits and admit I "skip" more than I should.    
I'm an oddball -- don't grind.   ;D

For the record, I don't own stock in either company...Phillips or OralB.  :)
I don't think it is possible to brush too lightly or too hard with the Sonic Care.  That is one of the reasons I bought it.  I was destroying my gums (caused some major receding) by brushing too hard.  The "sonic" part of it is what does the brushing for you.  (Non technical terms.)  
My model shuts off, if I press too hard.  Maybe it was the model before.  I'm off to brush my teeth to double check...

Back...my model does not shut off, if I press too hard.  Even for me, that was a challenge trying to brush hard. 

CC,
Use both...better safe than sorry.   :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:20:48 PM by Lola »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
Geez I'm sorry!!  When I was telling Middle Child I was "with her" I meant regarding the flossing part. morningcoffee

Thanks for the scoop, Lola :>)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »
Geez I'm sorry!!  When I was telling Middle Child I was "with her" I meant regarding the flossing part. morningcoffee

You mean I just brushed my teeth for NOTHING?   :D

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »

OOps, didn't answer this part.

Dealing with most anything involving cords or hoses. I despise the cord on the vacuum (for instance) soooo much that it literally Ps me off and I will only run the thing when another family member asks nicely -- and still they have to hear me cursing the cord the whole time.  It puts me in a bad mood (until I'm free of it, that is).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:01:06 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »

OOps, didn't answer this part.

Dealing with most anything involving cords or hoses. I despise the cord on the vacuum (for instance) soooo much that it literally Ps me off and I will only run the thing when another family member asks nicely -- and still they have to hear me cursing the cord the whole time.  It puts me in a bad mood (until I'm free of it, that is).

17 posts later, someone finally gets around to answering the question!  If this was Catsfur, we all would be getting baths.  For those not members of the "Catsfur" forum...posts that are OT or anything other than a cut and dry answer... get "baths" until the mods can delete or edit them.   cat3

Gave my own post a bath...being just a litttttle too catty. 

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:47:46 PM by Lola »

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
hahahah  "Catsfur"

cat3

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »
I have this......unreasoning resentment toward flossing my teeth.  I do it, because the results are worth it.  But my gosh I HATE it!  It's ridiculous, how bent out of shape I get every day when it's time to floss.

Am I the only one?  Does everyone else take flossing in stride? 

Try flossing when you have a permanent retainer along your bottom teeth.  Yeah, not so fun or easy Bumpurr1

Tags: