Author Topic: If you want to grow elderberries  (Read 645 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
If you want to grow elderberries
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
Things I've learned the past few days:

1. If you want to grow elderberries, you need 2 different types of the same kind--I chose two Sambucus canadensis named Johns and York, and I bought 2 of each. Some say that York should be paired with "Nova," but then others say just make sure canadensis is with canadensis. I think the ones that say "York with Nova" are saying that because of size differences.

2.  European types are named Sambucus nigra, and these also need to be paired. In Australia there are some that are white. There are also red types which are poisonous--Sambucus racemosa.

3. Stems and green berries will make you sick, and even too much of the cooked product can cause a laxative effect.

4. Doesn't matter if you can them as jelly and preserves, or make tincture, syrup and wine, they all have the same immune boosting effect, and should be taken in the same amounts as syrup for daily, immune health maintenance (Except for tincture and wine):

For Daily Maintenance:
Adults: Take 2 teaspoons (10 mL) daily.
Children: Take 1 teaspoon (5 mL) daily.

For Intensive Use (During Colds and Flu):
Adults: Take 2 teaspoons (10 mL) four times daily.
Children: Take 1 teaspoon (5 mL) four times daily.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:24:57 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: If you want to grow elderberries
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »
My plants are here! They look nice. Both types of the elderberries and the fig too are just coming out of dormancy and beginning to bud.

Surprised though that the Yorks are in 4" pots when it says on the site 2.5 pot--I didn't pay attention to the link because it clearly says "4" in the link, but that would have just confused me when I was ordering.

https://hirts.com/york-elderberry-shrub-sambucus-4-pot-largest-berries/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: