Author Topic: A Hush-Hush Topic: Mislabeled, undeclared, unidentified o  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
A Hush-Hush Topic: Mislabeled, undeclared, unidentified o
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/135145738846/undeclared-ingredients-pet-food#.Vm4iHr9NkRb

80% of selected pet food diets were contaminated with unidentified ingredients. – Ricci et al.

3 out of 4 diets claiming “no soy” were positive for soy. – Willis-Mahn et al.

14 out of 17 diets had significant levels of animal protein that were not listed on the label. – Maine et al.

20 out of 52 samples were deemed mislabeled since they contained an unidentified meat species and/or did not contain meat species that were listed on the product label. – Okuma et al.

8 out of 21 foods tested positive for an animal protein not listed. 2 listing venison tested negative for deer. 5 out of 12 foods labeled as gluten-free contained glutens. – Allred

4 venison diets were tested for beef and soy. 3 out of 4 were positive for soy but did not list soy on the product label. One tested positive for beef even though beef was not listed on the ingredient list. – Raditic et al.

It is alarming that the mislabeling or unidentified ingredients trend is not limited to over-the-counter pet foods but also includes limited ingredient diets, prescription and hydrolyzed diets. – Dodds

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: A Hush-Hush Topic: Mislabeled, undeclared, unidentified o
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
Thank you, MC. By the time I'd tweeted that last night, I was getting sleepy. And I don't like making posts sleepy. I always get something wrong.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »
Sounds like Blue Buffalo shouldn't be the only company paying big bucks in a class action suit.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »
Yet another reason to feed raw whenever possible . . .  2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: