Author Topic: Smoking - Quit Date  (Read 6599 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Smoking - Quit Date
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
GoodVibes grouphug GoodVibes grouphug

No advice to offer, though I do like Dee's suggestions.  Well, ok, maybe one suggestion:  maybe just try to cut down by 1 cigarette?   So, if you (for example) smoke 10 cigs/day, see if you can drop to 9/day?  :-\  Like Dee said, you'll get there.   Hug1 Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 09:25:01 AM »
The Chantix worked.  I didn't physically want a cig.  It is all in my stupid head. 
BTW there already is noooooooo smoking in the house!   Even my elderly mom has to go outside...rain or shine.  Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 04:50:04 AM »
I have no advice to offer, just a little moral support, as another one of THEM.  I am not saying it's a good thing to do - it isn't.  But the idea that people might like you less because of it is very sad.  I know it happens, but I think it's awful.   

If you are still at it, maybe we can become quit buddies one day.  My main problem, though, as much as I hate to admit it, is that I LIKE smoking.  That makes it a lot harder. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:57:53 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
I have no advice to offer, just a little moral support, as another one of THEM.  I am not saying it's a good thing to do - it isn't.  But the idea that people might like you less because of it is very sad.  I know it happens, but I think it's awful.   

If you are still at it, maybe we can become quit buddies one day. My main problem, though, as much as I hate to admit it, is that I LIKE smoking.  That makes it a lot harder.

I used to say that, too.  But the freedom, at least for me, more than made up for that part of it.  Not at first of course. At first all I did was cry.  But later.

I hope it comes..for both of you. Doing it together may help.  HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
Starting Chantix again soon. I got a new quit buddy.  She is going to come up with an actual quit date.  She doesn't like New Year's resolutions, so it will likely be shortly after. 
People that "quit" over and over and over... then die a smoker, I will probably be one of them. Thinking positive didn't help, so now I will go for shaming myself...  Silly7

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »
Starting Chantix again soon. I got a new quit buddy.  She is going to come up with an actual quit date.  She doesn't like New Year's resolutions, so it will likely be shortly after. 
People that "quit" over and over and over... then die a smoker, I will probably be one of them. Thinking positive didn't help, so now I will go for shaming myself...  Silly7

Rome was not built in one day!
A good cat friend of mine quite two years ago last week and that after smoking some 50 years. He figured out how much money has not gone up in smoke.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »
We believe in you.  You CAN do this!  GoodVibes  thumbsup1

EDIT:  BTW, I just remembered from my nutritional course that B vitamins help the body with addictions, so if you don't already take a B complex, you might want to do that (or increase it if you are taking it).

I will try to find the papers the instructor handed out about it to see if there's anything else in there that can help.  It was a few years ago, so it may take a while.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:14:35 AM by Pookie »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »
I had a couple minutes so I did some quick Googling:

http://www.thesmokingcure.com/blog/which-supplements-help-with-quitting-smoking

https://www.verywellmind.com/can-vitamin-supplements-help-me-quit-smoking-22396

From the link above:

Niacin (Vitamin B3)
Niacin is chemically similar to nicotine, and in fact, its name was changed from nicotinic acid to niacin to avoid confusion between the two substances. Again, no studies have proven that Niacin can help smokers quit, but there has been some speculation that niacin eases nicotine addiction. The theory is that the vitamin attaches to the niacin receptor sites in the brain (which are taken up by nicotine in smokers) in the same way that opiates take up the endorphin receptors in the brain in opiate addicts. Large doses of niacin can result in liver damage and other health complications, so you'll need to talk with your physician before adding a supplement to your diet.

I’ve never heard that large doses of niacin can result in liver damage, and I don’t know what’s being considered “large doses” in this article.  I personally take 500 – 550 mg of niacinimide every day to prevent the dizzy spells that started in my early teens, and I get that over the counter, so my guess is that’s not considered a “large” dose.  Niacinimide is a similar form of niacin, and unlike niacin, it doesn’t trigger the “flushing” (think hot flash) that niacin does.  The body converts niacin to niacinimide.

And one more:

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2012/01/25/does_smoking_tobacco_fulfill_a_nutritional_need.htm

Nicotine has long been accepted as the addictive portion of tobacco products, but what is apparently little known is that nicotine and niacin (vitamin B3) are analogues.

According to Google’s dictionary, the chemical definition of an “analogue” is “a compound with a molecular structure closely similar to that of another.”

It’s always recommended that if you take 1 specific B vitamin, e.g. niacin/niacinimide, to also take a b-complex to keep the B’s from getting too out-of-balance in the body.

By the way, B vitamins are also helpful for depression.  The nervous system really “needs the b’s.”  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
Interesting. Niacinimide is being used in cats with CKD to reduce phosphorous levels.

Good Luck Lola. I hope this time it sticks. Having someone to quit with makes all the difference.  Hug1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
The good news is:  I found the course material.  The bad news is:  there wasn't much, and most of it focused on alcohol and street or pharmaceutical drugs.   :(  That said, some of it did mention smoking, and for all addictions the basic recommendations were as follows:

B vitamins (as mentioned above.  BTW, they are water-soluble, so the body will excrete what it doesn't absorb.  They can be taken in the morning and again at lunch, but since they provide energy, it may not be a good idea to take them near bedtime or they may keep you awake).

Vitamin C for immune support and to help with detoxing.  Also water-soluble.

Essential Fatty Acids to nourish the brain

Hydrating with lots of clean water -- helps to flush the toxins out of the body

Detoxing (milk thistle is good for the liver, which is the main organ for filtering everything the body takes in; also vitamin C and hydrating as previously mentioned)

Eliminating sugar, white flour, etc. from the diet

Eating protein (small meals) several times a day to keep blood sugar steady

Personally, I'd just focus on the B vitamins, vitamin C, hydrating, etc. and not worry quite so much about the last 2 on the list, or it could get really overwhelming.  That's just my  2cents.  I'll stop now.  :)

GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes  FlowersGif
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:01:37 AM by Pookie »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I copied and printed.  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 02:21:43 PM »
Smoking Quit Date changed to... Feb 1, 2019.   :D

21 days and going.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth