Author Topic: Has anyone used these gloves?  (Read 5935 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Has anyone used these gloves?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
I understand Dee.  But you and I are coming from different perspectives here.  I am talking about cats' coats. You-dogs with heavy, coarse or curly coats.

But catgirl also asked about dogs. And she's got a pom. I understand pom coat.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 06:39:09 PM »
You've both been very helpful.  I'm going to try the undercoat rake on Bandit, and get some combs for the cats, as well as trying the boar bristle brush on them.  Actually, my main problem with Bandit is not that I don't know what tools to use on him, but the fact that he hates all of them - thrashes around and tries to bite them.  I'm not afraid of him, but it does make it awfully difficult to work on him when he won't hold still.  That is why I was hoping some sort of glove would be appropriate.  The parts he most dislikes having brushed are the same parts he LOVES to have scratched. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 09:40:33 PM »
Actually, my main problem with Bandit is not that I don't know what tools to use on him, but the fact that he hates all of them - thrashes around and tries to bite them.  I'm not afraid of him, but it does make it awfully difficult to work on him when he won't hold still.  That is why I was hoping some sort of glove would be appropriate.  The parts he most dislikes having brushed are the same parts he LOVES to have scratched. 

I'm not the resident Dog Expert here, so take this with a grain of salt:  I'm wondering if some sort of positive association would help.  Maybe start of with just letting him sniff it, and reward him with a treat (if he doesn't try to bite it).  Put it by his food bowl when he's eating, that sort of thing, so he gets used to it and associates it with nice things.  Then lightly brush him with it - just one stroke, then stop, and assuming he hasn't tried to bite it, give him a treat.  And slowly keep increasing the number of strokes, over a period of days, continuing to reward him.

I have no idea if it would work, but it might be worth a try.  Just my  2cents.  Whatever you use/do, good luck!   fingerscrossed

EDIT:  I just saw the other thread where DeeDee posted how to introduce Bandit to the new tool.  Oops.  You can disregard this post.   :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:43:43 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 06:48:22 AM »
I'm not the resident Dog Expert here, so take this with a grain of salt:  I'm wondering if some sort of positive association would help.  Maybe start of with just letting him sniff it, and reward him with a treat (if he doesn't try to bite it).  Put it by his food bowl when he's eating, that sort of thing, so he gets used to it and associates it with nice things.  Then lightly brush him with it - just one stroke, then stop, and assuming he hasn't tried to bite it, give him a treat.  And slowly keep increasing the number of strokes, over a period of days, continuing to reward him.

I have no idea if it would work, but it might be worth a try.  Just my  2cents.  Whatever you use/do, good luck!   fingerscrossed

EDIT:  I just saw the other thread where DeeDee posted how to introduce Bandit to the new tool.  Oops.  You can disregard this post.   :)

I'm glad you posted.  I may not have seen the other thread right away if you had not.  I am going to try this. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »
MC, I tried the boar bristle brush, and the cats loved it!  NO signs of incipient mats, not even in the cotton-candy fine hair behind Truman's ears, which leads me to believe that a proper diet is the best grooming tool of all.  He used to get little tangles there all the time, no matter what I did.  I knew that wet/raw food would improve their coats, but this is beyond amazing.   

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 08:58:21 AM »
MC, I tried the boar bristle brush, and the cats loved it!  NO signs of incipient mats, not even in the cotton-candy fine hair behind Truman's ears, which leads me to believe that a proper diet is the best grooming tool of all.  He used to get little tangles there all the time, no matter what I did.  I knew that wet/raw food would improve their coats, but this is beyond amazing.   

Yep...this is the passion that kibble addicts ( I speak of the humans feeding the kibble) just can not understand.

Glad they like the boar bristle brush.  Jennie loves hers. (she loves her comb, too)  Queen Eva likes her comb.  Mazy cat doesn't allow grooming except in very tiny amounts, when she is dozing on my chest, with her own comb. It took years to get her to accept even that.

Mazy cat had a rough coat all her life until raw.  Even on canned, it was nicer, but still not really soft or plush.  But now...wow.

Sadly her shedding has not diminished.

And they have started the spring shed with a deluge.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »
Yep...this is the passion that kibble addicts ( I speak of the humans feeding the kibble) just can not understand.

Glad they like the boar bristle brush.  Jennie loves hers. (she loves her comb, too)  Queen Eva likes her comb.  Mazy cat doesn't allow grooming except in very tiny amounts, when she is dozing on my chest, with her own comb. It took years to get her to accept even that.

Mazy cat had a rough coat all her life until raw.  Even on canned, it was nicer, but still not really soft or plush.  But now...wow.

Sadly her shedding has not diminished.

And they have started the spring shed with a deluge.

Lucy has always had a soft, smooth coat, but now it feels like silk, and the black parts on Truman, who is black and white...wow.  Black cats are usually shiny, but he is like a mirror!  The other cats' coats are improving, too, and even Mouse's is feeling softer.  Mouse has an unusual coat.  I wouldn't call it rough, exactly, but it is a very "wild" color, sort of agouti, like a field rabbit, a bit shorter than that of most cats, and, for the lack of a better word, a bit more coarse, although that's not quite right, either.  She almost doesn't look like a domestic cat.  She is never going to be shiny-looking - I don't think that color lends itself to shininess - but she does feel softer.  Biggest improvement is probably with Jenny, who used to be terribly prone to mats everywhere. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
I had (only have one now) two cats that would get hair mats.  Once I started feeding raw... no mats.  That was a surprise, that I didn't expect. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 09:48:57 PM »
You mentioned dry air... sometime ago...  does brushing a dog or cat, not create more static?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »
You mentioned dry air... sometime ago...  does brushing a dog or cat, not create more static?

It can.  I got a small humidifier, which helps.  It was worst when we had an extended very cold spell, and is much improved now.

Tags: