Author Topic: Tangelos  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Tangelos
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:01:43 PM »
Bought some this morning.  Hubby peeled and ate one.  Wow, do they ever smell good!  I told him to not throw the peels away, leave them in the kitchen sink... great room freshner.   Silly7

I am off tonight and don't have to sleep, so I ramble post... if you are wondering.    :D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Tangelos
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:55:39 PM »
Ramble on!   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 07:28:31 PM »
Someone at works eats them, or something like them, all the time.  They do smell good.  Her lunches, that she heats in the microwave down in the lunchroom and eats at her desk, do not smell good.  funny2

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »
Blood oranges are good too. I should have bought more yesterday. I bought 4 to see if I liked them, and I just finished my last one. V&B approve too.

I hope someone doesn't turn around and tell me that they're watered the same way Halos and Cuties are. I'm craving oranges again, and last year was awful without any that I liked in the stores.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:33:06 AM »
What is the deal with Halos and Cuties?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:54:57 AM »
The fact that I don't know whether it's true or even partially true freaks me out. Some insist that it's fracking water. Others say it's not. Until someone proves to me that the irrigation water they're using is safe, I'm not eating them. The ones from Cali are the sweetest, and I really don't like the ones from Florida since they're so sour. You can Google "Halo and Cutie irrigation water" and come up with a million results now. The Snopes article has some long quotes from news station/papers.

http://nonstopnatural.com/love-halo-cutie-oranges-but-hate-how-they-are-grown-read-this/

Central California is prime farmland, as well as containing more than a few oil wells. There is some oilfield waste water (but not fracking water) that is being used within Kern County, for use on crops. However, before you start with the “Ah Ha!”, this water is treated, then mixed with fresh water, and is constantly monitored for safety before it hits the fields. What isn’t known is how this oilfield waste water, even after it is treated, might affect the land when used over, say, a 100-year time period. Generally speaking, however, this water is considered to be safe for irrigation purposes.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:00 AM »
I read somewhere that celery is grown with industrial waste water, which is when I went to organic celery.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
The things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 05:01:21 AM »
Bought some this morning.  Hubby peeled and ate one.  Wow, do they ever smell good!  I told him to not throw the peels away, leave them in the kitchen sink... great room freshner.   Silly7

I am off tonight and don't have to sleep, so I ramble post... if you are wondering.    :D

I have a recipe for lamb stew that calls for a bit of orange peel.  You could probably use tangelo peel, too.  Let me know if you want to try it, it's super yum!

Tags: