Author Topic: Convenia: Worth the Risk?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Convenia: Worth the Risk?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
Snip

Why am I devoting an entire page to just one drug?  It is because there have been too many reports of otherwise healthy cats dying or becoming very ill (seizures, anemia, diarrhea, etc.) within a few days to 1 week after receiving even just a single injection of Convenia.

Some people may question the definition of "too many" but here is my bottom line:  If it happens to your cat, that is a 100% failure rate and it matters very little what the failure rate is among thousands of other cats.

To repeat what I said above, all drugs have their side effects but the point that I am trying to make with this article is that if a safer antibiotic is an option (true in almost all cases), why not choose it?  This is exactly what I am trying to make the reader aware of:  There are safer choices other than Convenia and veterinarians need to discuss the options with their clients - or, if Convenia is chosen as a treatment, the client needs to be made aware of the risks involved.

We need to stop referring to Convenia as a "wonder drug" which it has been called many times since it came onto the market a few years ago.

Don't stop reading!  MORE here:  http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org