Author Topic: They are starting to take the hint...  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
They are starting to take the hint...
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:03:56 AM »
This company will NEVER have my support or business due to their history and practices, but it looks like Hills is starting to take the hint.

Their new Ideal Balance line is free of by-products, unnamed meat sources, and chemicals like BHT and BHA, and carrageenan. Still not grain free or anything, but apparently we have cut into their pocket books enough for them to take notice.

On a semi-related note, they are including porcine (pork) plasma, which I have seen before in another food. Time to research that ingredient since it looks like it is gaining popularity.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: They are starting to take the hint...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »
The trouble with Hills and other food companies that do this, is the long term.  They try to cater to the growing educated masses by creating these new foods, but eventually, once they've got the customers,  (even if it starts halfway decent which I doubt, since they have the ways and knowledge to make a food look much better than it is) the quality of the food will deteriorate, and many people won't notice when it does.

Sort of like what happens when the small privately owned better pet food companies are bought out by conglomerates. Most people don't even realize it, and don't notice when the food quality deteriorates, until the pet starts getting sick.  And even then the food isn't blamed, because it is the "best" and the pet has "eaten it all his life".

Sigh....

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: They are starting to take the hint...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »
Like you said, Hills will NEVER have my support.  But... IF anyone else is interested
I picked a canned chicken one...since cats can't chew kibble.  Also most flavors were fishy.   cat2

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Turkey, Carrots, Green Peas, Chicken Fat, Egg White, Potatoes, Spinach, Chicken Liver Flavor, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Fish Oil, Calcium Chloride, Disodium Phosphate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Cranberry Pomace, Taurine, minerals (Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate), DL-Methionine, Beta-Carotene.

http://www.hillspet.com/ideal-balance/ideal-balance-cat-food.html

yuk
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: