Author Topic: Walking Your Dog  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Walking Your Dog
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:13:52 AM »
Background info... I stopped walking the dogs, due to ticks and off leash dogs a long time ago.  I can't imagine a dog park (at least in my general area) being a good place to go.  Lacy seemed to be getting enough exercise running and playing with us and Sparky in the backyard. 
Well... there has been no Sparky for a year now.  I can't get Lacy motivated (much) to play with me outside.  I thought she would eventually "come around."  But, as mentioned, it has been a year.  Time to do something different.
I took Lacy to a retirement neighborhood yesterday.  We drove there and parked at a family member's home.  Then we went on a walk.  The people there ALL have their dogs on leashes... and they leave us alone.  NOT that I don't want to be sociable, but Lacy is very skittish of other dogs.  She didn't exactly get to run, but she did get a bit of a walk and experience the outside world.  Maybe she will eventually accept that not every dog wants a piece of her.  Baby steps.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Walking Your Dog
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:29:16 PM »
I'm so glad you were able to get her "out and about."  I'm wondering, do you think Rescue Remedy would help her to be less skittish around other dogs?  I'm assUming that this behavior is a result of what happened with Sparky.

Do the cats play with Lacy at all, i.e. get her running around the house?

Congratulations on the baby steps!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Walking Your Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
I have some of this calming product on hand:  http://k10plus.com 
I had planned to try it when I took her to get her nails trimmed next time.  Didn't have the brain cells to consider it when taking her for a walk.  In my defense ;) the walk was a last minute decision... pretty much.

Some of the cats do play with Lacy.  They play "spring."  Lacy steps on the spring toy.  It shoots across the room... the cats chase it.  Lacy doesn't do much running in the house.  Our house isn't big enough to get up much speed.  Also, too many corners... and tile. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: