Author Topic: Making bone broth - Look at this largesse!  (Read 12290 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Making bone broth - Look at this largesse!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 05:10:30 AM »
I have absolutely no clue b/c I used the crockpot to make mine at Thanksgiving.

But there's this. STILL doesn't tell me which of the 3 it is for sure:  http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-your-bone-broth-doesnt-gel/

And did it gel, Dee?

Thank you for the link! That was very helpful.  At least I know the good stuff is in there.  It's got to be something to do with the way this slow cooker works.  It doesn't keep the contents at a low simmer.  The stuff has no simmer at all, then suddenly bursts into a boil for a few minutes, then goes back to no simmer at all, over and over. I am not thrilled with that method.

When I cook it on the stove I bring it to a bowl, lower the temp to a simmer and just leave it that way.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
And did it gel, Dee?

Mine did. I put it in 3/4 cup amounts for a weekly amount for them in ziploc bags and froze it. I've never seen mine cooking the way you describe yours though--boil, simmer, boil, simmer. . .
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »
What heat level did you use?  Maybe to avoid that hard boil every few minutes, once I get it to temp I should try the low setting.  I did my soup on medium, because it was the first time I'd used it, and I did Mazy cat's broth on high. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
I did it on low. For a LONG time. LOL It was probably about 33 hours.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »
Okay then.  I bet my problem is this (from your link)

Reason 3: You boiled the bone broth too vigorously.

What you want is a beautiful, rolling simmer that barely moves the surface of the water in the stock pot.

If it boils too forcefully, it will break down the proteins in the gelatin into their constituent amino acids. While that’s not bad, per se, it will certainly prevent your broth from gelling.

Tags: bone broth