Author Topic: Pot for pets: U.S. federal law puts vets into a quandary  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Pot for pets: U.S. federal law puts vets into a quandary
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »
Not sure how I feel about this.  I just don't trust using something like cannabis with pets, with the possible exception of using it to control seizures.  Personally, I just think so many of these issues would resolve themselves if people just fed a species-appropriate diet.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pot-pets-u-federal-law-puts-vets-quandary-111203083.html

REUTERS - A wave of medical research is providing fresh evidence that marijuana may help dogs and cats cope with arthritis, epilepsy, anxiety and other maladies without the side effects of traditional drugs, but veterinarians are afraid to prescribe it for fear of running afoul of federal laws.

At least 30 U.S. states have legalized medical marijuana, but none of them make provisions for ailing animals.

As a result, veterinarians are reluctant to even discuss marijuana, which remains illegal under federal law, over concerns of putting their professional licenses at risk, said Dr. Jeffrey Powers, chair of the American Veterinary Medical Association's subcommittee on cannabinoids. That leaves it to pet owners themselves to make life-altering decisions about dosing and duration of the treatment.

Cornell University researchers found CBD increases comfort and activity in dogs with arthritis, according to a study published in July in Frontiers in Veterinary Science. CBD led to a reduction in frequency of seizures in 89 percent of dogs with epilepsy, according to preliminary results of a Colorado State University study released last month.

Arthritis = inflammation.  Rather than treating the symptom, determine where the inflammation is coming from.  Start by changing the diet.  If that doesn't completely resolve the problem, look at the environment:  are there a lot of chemicals in/around the home, for example?

Julienne Brown, 26, and Jacob Kish, 25, who live in Los Angeles with an overweight Savannah cat named Dude who suffers from arthritis pain, attended the panel discussion. Kish said they will now look into treating Dude with CBD.

"This is the first I've heard that this is an option," Kish said. "So we're really excited."

bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

I would bet they're feeding that poor cat a dry food, which is why the cat is overweight, which then causes/contributes to the arthritis.  But they'd rather use CBD . . . .  bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

Just my  2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Pot for pets: U.S. federal law puts vets into a quandary
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 04:53:59 AM »
CBD oil is not marijuana.  There are two different substances being discussed in that article, so some one didn't do his homework very well.

As for the couple with the overweight cat, yep just looking for a quick fix, can't be bothered actually helping the cat.

CBD is discussed and used quite a lot among the members in the raw feeding for IBD group.

I might consider trying it for myself for sleep issues, if I could afford it.  But I wouldn't use it on my cats.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
Re: Pot for pets: U.S. federal law puts vets into a quandary
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:48:45 AM »
Try local Vap shops for CBD. They sell small quantities.

Tags: