Author Topic: New Jersey now enforcing ban of raw goat milk in pet food stores  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
My favorite specialty pet food store emailed me about this, so here is an article for those of you in New Jersey.  Their message also said that they'd heard from other stores who had been visited by officials who removed the raw milk from the store.   >:(  bangshead

https://keepthetailwagging.com/where-to-buy-raw-goats-milk-for-dogs/

Yesterday, Facebook was all a-buzz with the news that two states, New Jersey had banned the sale of raw milk for pets!!! As the day progressed, I learned that this isn't a new law. New Jersey and other states had always had this law on the books, they're just starting to enforce the law and pet stores are taking raw goat's milk out of their freezers.

Some information on the benefits of raw goat milk for dogs (and cats  HeadButt):

...this whole food is a SUPERFOOD and brings many benefits to the bowl:

- Raw goat's milk improves digestive health by adding beneficial bacteria to the gut.
- By improving the gut, raw goat's milk also makes the immune system stronger; healthy gut, healthy dog.
- Raw goat's milk is loaded with nutrients, including Vitamins, A, B-complex, C, healthy amino acids, beneficial fatty acids, calcium, and zinc.
- Raw goat's milk has less lactose, making it easier to digestive for dogs and cats.
- Raw goat's milk is a great meal when fasting my dogs, when one of my dogs isn't feeling great, or as a treat.

Freeze-dried raw goat's milk is an option that can be ordered on Amazon.  The article mentions some other options as well.

If you live in a state that doesn't permit the sale of raw goat's milk for pets, fret not. There are people who are working on changing this for pet parents across the country. As I understand it, many states have laws in place to protect humans from the risk of food poisoning caused by consuming raw milk. Their laws protect human food. Pet food doesn't fall under this umbrella; instead, pet food is treated as feed. Therefore, by telling pet stores that they can no longer sell raw goat's milk, these state officials may be breaking their own law.

That was my first thought:  the milk is sold in a PET food store, for PETS, not human consumption.  Hopefully the state will back off on this, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:45:26 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: New Jersey now enforcing ban of raw goat milk in pet food stores
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »
That was my first thought: the milk is sold in a PET food store, for PETS, not human consumption.

My first thought as well.  Beyond weird.

I checked an online store I order from.  It is still for sale.  They aren't in New Jersey, but it is probably just a matter of time...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:09:11 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:51:23 PM »
Snip for the link above:

the New Jersey Department of Health was going into pet food stores (not their jurisdiction) and confiscating all raw milk pet products. In one instance, the New Jersey Department of Health representative – in the independent pet food store – cut the bottoms out of all of the frozen raw milk pet products and ran hot water on the frozen chunks of pet products until they thawed and went down the drain. No pet food store was paid for the products confiscated or destroyed.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
Thanks for posting that link, MC!   :-* :-*  Interesting timing - I was at PetSmart today and wandered around the store.  They still had some raw milk in their refrigerators.  I couldn't help but wonder how long that would last . . .  >:(

Snip for the link above:

bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

For those living in NJ, another "option" is to get the milk from Pennsylvania.  Unlike NJ, raw milk (including for human consumption) can legally be sold in PA.

As for writing the Governor . . . people can do that, but IMO he won't do a thing.

Offline Orlando

• Always love your dogs!
    • All Dog Tips
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:33 PM »
That's super interesting. I wonder why they have had that law in place.
Where I work there are only 4 dogs I have seen actually have raw goats milk so I didn't think it would become a problem.
Sucks that the stores weren't being compensated as well. Dumb law and hurting local businesses. eviltongue
Helpful tips and tricks on taking care of your 4 legged friends: All Dog Tips

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 04:19:46 PM »
That's super interesting. I wonder why they have had that law in place.

The law is to save us from ourselves.  It applies to humans:  in New Jersey, it is illegal to sell unpasteurized raw milk for human consumption.  Milk must be pasteurized to "protect" us.   :(  The problem with removing the raw milk from pet food stores is that the law only applies to people, not animals.  So they're taking that law and applying it to an area that doesn't involve people.  Twits.   >:(

Sucks that the stores weren't being compensated as well. Dumb law and hurting local businesses. eviltongue

Welcome to New Jersey.   :(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:52:26 PM by Pookie »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
You explained that a LOT better than I would have.   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Petition to Legalize the Sale of Raw Goat Milk for Pets in New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »
Recently Cherrybrook Pet Supplies received notice from our Pet Food Distributors that they are no longer able to ship Raw Goat Milk pet products to our stores because it is unpasteurized. The state of New Jersey has issued a cease and desist to our distributors citing Title 24 – Sections 10-57.17 and 10-57.18 Food and Drug Statutes.

At Cherrybrook, we know that Raw Goat Milk is safe for our pets. There is no evidence that any pets in New Jersey have ever been sickened or had their health compromised by adding Raw Goat Milk to their diets. In fact, we have many testimonials to the contrary. We believe in the holistic and healing effects of Raw Goat Milk so firmly that many of our team members feed it to their own pets.

That's why Cherrybrook is aiding in the efforts to legalize the sale of Raw Goat Milk for pets in New Jersey! Help us by signing our petition!

You can sign the petition here:  https://www.change.org/p/state-senator-joseph-vitale-legalize-the-sale-of-raw-goat-milk-for-pets-in-new-jersey

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 04:54:50 AM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
Signed!  Hope it helps.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »
Bumping this thread.  They've gotten over 300 signatures and are hoping to reach 500.

Thanks to all who have signed!   :-* :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Standing up for manufacture's rights!

Snip...
Standing up for manufacturer’s rights is a foundational effort of Next Gen PFMA. In January (2019), we were DSC01095notified of illegal seizure of frozen raw pet milk by the New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH). The NJDOH incorrectly cited human food law (Title 24), as reason for their actions; pet food is regulated under Title 4 of New Jersey statutes.

Within hours of the illegal actions by the NJDOH, Next Gen PFMA contacted both the Departments of Agriculture and Health, as well as the trade association’s attorney.

http://www.ngpfma.org/manufacturers-rights/

Can't find your original post, Pookie.  If you know where it is, let me know... and I'll merge the two threads.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »
Thanks, MC.  The topics are merged.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Lola!  I'd seriously consider going but already have other plans.  Some good news:

The NJDOH is not enforcing its stop sale on pet food retailers of raw pet milk

though still work to be done:

however, they have not removed the stop distribution order delivered to some distributors. We are still working with our attorney to correct this situation.

EDIT:  Lola, are you able to tweet that link to Next Gen PFMA, and the Pet Food Justice event https://www.petfoodjustice.com/ ?