Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40913 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
Cute pics! Glad you ALL go in a nap.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
Thanks you guys. Incidentally they had all been up and away from those beds at least twice between the two shots.  Funny how they kept going back to the same spot for the day.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »
Furry mini heaters:>)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #213 on: December 25, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
 Jennie seems to be entering yet another transition in her illness. She's starting to show some signs of trouble with constipation. That could be the buprenorphine, I realize. When she does pass stool it's shaped full sized stool most of the time, so I can't imagine the tumors are causing a blockage. I think it's more likely they make her feel a need to go more often than she really needs to, and she is spending more unproductive time in the litter box. Not straining at all. Just...waiting. Whereas she used to produce small amounts during those sessions, now she isn't. Just her one big one around 5:30 a.m. every morning. Also, her pain seems a bit worse, and the nausea seems to have showed up again. All this only 3 weeks since her last transition. Still no weight loss, all this only just started yesterday.

I can increase the cerenia so that's okay and she is not yet on the top dose for buprenorphine either. I do hope she can continue with the piroxicam, I am sure it has helped with the inflammation and discomfort. Her next blood work is 2 weeks away, January 7th, but she shows no signs of kidney issues. Her pee is normal amounts for the amount of water she is getting in her food and at normal frequency and she has not been seen near the water bowl.

I wanted to include much more detail than that and may write it up with the details later. Just too lazy right now.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #214 on: December 26, 2018, 05:46:44 AM »
To flesh out the details of the above post...on Christmas Eve Jennie was showing a lot of discomfort.  She kept going downstairs and sitting in the litter box.  Not straining, not producing anything.  She crouched around the house and even in sleep I could tell she wasn't comfortable.

I gave her a buprenorphine dose, which she was due for in about half an hour (so I gave it a little early) (well, she's still on the Simbidol while I wait for the compounding pharmacy) which did take effect within a few minutes to stop the painful looking crouch, and she began to rest much easier.

She hadn't had her usual poops so I was pretty sure it was constipation causing her trouble.  The only poop she had had all day was some dry crumbly bits in the morning, plus another dry one full of fur. Neither are usual for her.

When she began refusing to eat except hand fed I realized nausea was also affecting her so I gave her the cerenia dose early.  She's only on 6 mg not the 12 mg vet prescribed so there is room for upping the dose if she shows more signs of nausea.  Giving her the Cerenia early seemed to help with the nausea. Oh wait that was yesterday, Tuesday, the rest of this is about Monday.

However there was still no poop and still frequent trips down to the litter box so I made an executive decision to give her some mineral oil late Monday afternoon. 

The mineral oil did the trick I think, she had a more productive day with poop yesterday and was clearly more comfortable all day.

1st picture was right before I gave her the buprenex. 2nd picture was 25 minutes later.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #215 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »
GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes   Hug1 Hug1 Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
It's so strange to see her seemingly so well, but needing the pain meds more often. Stool quality has improved greatly, due to the piroxicam no doubt. I need to formulate an update to the vet but every day brings something different and I want to keep it short so she'll read it.

This morning after breakfast I observed Jennie in her bed. At first glance she seemed okay but when I looked closer I could tell she was holding herself very carefully, not relaxed at all.  Then I realized she was overdue for the bupe.  Doh1

10 minutes after the bupe.... (Incidentally she knows the bupe helps her and accepts it gladly even, lifting her head and opening her mouth with no help from me, and I just squirt it under her tongue.)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug

I'm glad you recognized how she was feeling and were able to make her feel better!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »
 Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
I am not happy with the Road Runner pharmacy compounded buprenorphine.  Jennie isn't having the same ..."absence of pain relaxation reaction" she has with the Simbadol from the vet.  She's had two doses of it now and what I am seeing is something different...she seems a bit agitated, can't rest...never closes her eyes, never lies relaxed in her bed.

The dose is different because of the compounding. 0.15 ml as opposed to 0.1 ml. The tech did tell me when we first discussed it that if it seemed too high I could reduce it. I am hoping this reaction is just that, too high of a dose making her like this, and the lower dose will give her the relief without this weird too-awake reaction.

I gave her a dose yesterday morning 7 a.m. on schedule and was disappointed that she didn't seem to be all relaxed like she usually is, before I went off to work.  As it turned out I am sick and had to come home from work and spent yesterday in bed, Jennie in my arms.  She stayed with me, but was very restless, did not lie quietly, never closed her eyes, and did not invite tummy rubs.

I HOPE it is just too high a dose, and that it is controlling her pain, I coudln't tell about the pain because of all the other weird stuff.  Because if it doesn't control her pain I will have to go back to the Simbadol, and just go into debt to pay for it I guess.

Today, this evening,  she will be getting the compounded buprenorphine it again, at a lower dose.

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #220 on: January 01, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »
Desperately hoping that the lower dose of bupe. leaves Jennie more relaxed as well as pain free.

Sending hugs across the pond.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #221 on: January 01, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
Desperately hoping that the lower dose of bupe. leaves Jennie more relaxed as well as pain free.

Same here.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed  Also sending hugs, but from this side of the pond.   :)

Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 grouphug

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2019, 05:55:39 AM »
The lower dose was better but she she was still way too stoned. I mean, it's clear she was having no pain, but still she never closes her eyes, it's very distressing, for me, though she didn't seem distressed herself..  And her respiration rate gets very high too, not sure what that's about as supposedly the side effect is that it may reduce respiration.

This morning I just gave 0.05 though I won't be home to watch her after the half hour mark.

The pic and video are five hours after the 0.1 dose yesterday

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
HangInThere GoodVibes GoodVibes  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »
6 hours after the 0.05 dose she started showing signs of pain.  Not as doped up but didn't last as long.  But she still doesn't close her eyes. I gave her another 0.05, but after this I guess I will have to stick to the 0.1

Tags: