Author Topic: Lavender Bath And Other Stuff  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lavender Bath And Other Stuff
« on: August 30, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »
Those of you that use lavender to relax, do you prefer a certain brand?  Oils, bath salts, etc? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Lavender Bath And Other Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
I will follow this thread with interest.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »
Why do you ask?   Silly7
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:53:35 PM »
I just assumed she wanted to know the best way to have a relaxing bath? I think I must be the only person in the world who can't bear lavender.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:29:29 AM »
Whatever grows in he garden. Lavender, lemon balm, .... Lemon verbena works well. Tie in a coffe filter or stick it in a sock. Muslim bags for those who want it pretty. Or go the easy route with a drop or two of essential oil.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
Why do you ask?   Silly7

I'm writing a book...

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
Personally, no favorite brands.  Sister got me some packets of "Relaxing Lavender" mineral bath from Acacia a while ago which smells wonderful, and a very dear friend  Hug1 sent me a kit of Dr. Teal's lavender items (epsom salts, foaming bath, body wash, etc.) which also smells wonderful.

I know Young Living is considered a high-quality essential oil company, but personally, I didn't care for it.  Of course, that may have been because I didn't care for the person promoting it, but it just didn't smell like lavender to me.  I've generally just bought what was in the health-food store that smelled like lavender.  I don't really use the oil except to make a hydrosol (add a couple of drops to a spray bottle with distilled water) or to add a drop or two to a little water fountain in my living room.

Side note:  there's a lavender farm near me that I visited not long ago.  They grow their own and make soaps, etc. with it.  I was going to buy the liquid hand soap but the price put me off, and when I used it in their rest room, it didn't really smell like lavender.   :-\  So I didn't buy it.  But I still have the Dr. Teal's epsom salts and some of the Acacia for my bath.  Since I haven't been home very much, I haven't had the chance to take too many baths, and it doesn't help that my tub drain isn't closing completely, so the water isn't staying in very long.   :(   CatsterBath2 CatsterBath3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »
I have heard of people using lavender for all kinds of things.  I was just curious about other uses. 
I think I will stick to Dr. Teals bath salts.  It isn't a strong smell, but taking the time to take a bath... doesn't always work out so well.  Thanks for your input!!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
Re:  other uses . . . There's a story, and since I'm fuzzy on many of the details, I Googled it:

“In 1910 French chemist and scholar René-Maurice Gattefossé discovered the virtues of the essential oil of lavender. Gattefossé badly burned his hand during an experiment in a perfumery plant and plunged his hand into the nearest tub of liquid, which just happened to be lavender essential oil. He was later amazed at how quickly his burn healed and with very little scarring. This started a fascination with essential oils and inspired him to experiment with them during the First World War on soldiers in the military hospitals.”

from http://roberttisserand.com/2011/04/gattefosses-burn/

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 08:03:34 AM »
Blooms make lemon cake with a twist. Leaves between linen give the expensive hotel scent.

I used to make bath oil by adding lavender to baby oil and alcohol then letting the alcohol evaporate.

Personally I am not a big fan of lots of scented stuff from shampoo coffee. Step in an elevator with someone who uses shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, perfume, hairspray, lip stick and nail polish in different "flavor so". Avon convention of one.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
Re:  other uses . . . There's a story, and since I'm fuzzy on many of the details, I Googled it:

from http://roberttisserand.com/2011/04/gattefosses-burn/

Thanks, Pookie.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »
Blooms make lemon cake with a twist. Leaves between linen give the expensive hotel scent.

I used to make bath oil by adding lavender to baby oil and alcohol then letting the alcohol evaporate.

Personally I am not a big fan of lots of scented stuff from shampoo coffee. Step in an elevator with someone who uses shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, perfume, hairspray, lip stick and nail polish in different "flavor so". Avon convention of one.

I use unscented just about everything.  I am very sensitive to smells.  The only exception is the Dr. Teals lavender bath salts... once in a blue moon.  It IS relaxing and the scent is verrrry light, and doesn't hang around.   

If I die first, someone send hubby an Old Spice gift set.  He would LOVE to use Old Spice everything.   Silly7

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
Most of the things I use are also unscented.  I've found as I've gotten older that I seem to be more sensitive to smells.  Going by the laundry detergent aisle in the supermarket . . .  :-X  . . . it's almost overpowering.  But I LOVE lavender, and using it in the water fountain, the hydrosol or in the tub is fine.  It's not overpowering, at least, not to me.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 08:21:44 AM »
If you have Sprouts in your area pls check their weekly specials - lots of lavender.

Tags: