Author Topic: Hare-Today Ratio Questions  (Read 20465 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Hare-Today Ratio Questions
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 05:01:36 PM »
I think you're starting to see why I don't argue with the vets about giving them vitamins if I'm going to feed raw. I don't care what you do, there's no way to know exactly what they're getting, might be missing, might need more of, when every dog can be somewhat different in their needs--unless you spend a lot of time at the vet's office having their blood and urine tested.

It's continual guesswork.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
I see she sells just ground boneless meats and ground organs.  Looks like it is possible for me to add to what I have, to improve the numbers. 
I just have to figure out how much boneless meat and organs to add to 5 pounds of the mixture.   bangshead
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:45:58 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
That'll work.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »
Sorry to be such a whiner, but...  I thought I was doing SO good feeding a species appropriate diet to my furkids.  I was SO close to feeding them all an all raw diet... then the rug got pulled out from under me.

Not only am I pizzed that I misunderstood the "complete" ground mixture (with Alnutrin added) isn't exactly complete... God knows what I did to my furkids!    :(

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
Sorry to be such a whiner, but...  I thought I was doing SO good feeding a species appropriate diet to my furkids.  I was SO close to feeding them all an all raw diet... then the rug got pulled out from under me.

Not only am I pizzed that I misunderstood the "complete" ground mixture isn't exactly complete... God knows what I did to my furkids!    :(

Don't sweat it. You caught it. A lot of people wouldn't have. You've seen a lot of positive change in them, so you should see even more once you get it closer to right. It's not like you've been feeding these ratios for years and years.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 06:04:43 PM »
I think you're starting to see why I don't argue with the vets about giving them vitamins if I'm going to feed raw. I don't care what you do, there's no way to know exactly what they're getting, might be missing, might need more of, when every dog can be somewhat different in their needs--unless you spend a lot of time at the vet's office having their blood and urine tested.

It's continual guesswork.

You don't worry about over doing any of the vitamins?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »
You don't worry about over doing any of the vitamins?

This may be a silly question, but do the supplements also include minerals?

Most vitamins are water-soluble, meaning the body will excrete what it doesn't use (the B vitamins, C, etc. for example), so I wouldn't worry too much about those.  The fat-soluble vitamins, e.g. A, D, E (and I think I'm missing one, K perhaps) are more likely to build up in the body.  Those are the vitamins that are usually found in the organs.

Too much of any mineral can also be a problem, depending on the mineral.  But you're going to make yourself nuts with all of this.  Keep in mind, too, that unless the raw you're feeding was free-range, organic, etc. etc., that they may be deficient in certain things, too.  I would suggest that you just do the best you can to get the ratios right, and go with a supplement that you feel comfortable with using, e.g. Alnutrin (which seems to "keep it simple.")

Just my  2cents.  I'm certainly no expert.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »
I was just curious if DeeDee worried about over-doing vitamins... with her feeding raw in the proper ratio amounts to her dogs.  Now that I think about it... dumb question.  She is doing it, so it would make sense she isn't worrying about it!

As for me...I am assuming the Alnutrin does the "trick" for the required supplements for cats.  :)  I also assume (hopefully not wrongly) that Lacy dog is good with eating the same raw concoction as the cats. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 06:24:46 PM »
No. I eat a really healthy diet, but still take vitamins. As long as you don't over-do the directions, I don't think many animals get too much either.

I think what would be a concern is if I had that, "If one is good, two are better," mentality. I take the minimalist approach. Barkly's supposed to get two and Vlad three, so Barkly gets one and Vlad gets two. I give half their daily dose at each meat-meal so they're getting digestive enzymes at those meals.

http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900775060  <---no cellulose formula you can see what's in them.

There's a totally different formula for seniors though that I'll start in a few years since it has extra ingredients for cognitive and eye health. http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900795060

Their vets seem to think that these are some of the best vitamins, and I like that I can combine a lot of things in one. It's cut off 3 measurements during every meal since I started them.

Edit: I think  Lacy will get extra vitamins from her canned. I don't have any kibble or canned with the boys, so it's still a guessing game. I go by their teeth, eyes, scent, and poop. If I were off, supposedly at least one of those things will be affected somehow. And I figured out what the sandy poop is. It's when I give them neck sections, so it must be bones that cause it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:28:35 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 03:14:31 AM »
The Hare-Today ground boneless meats and ground organs will be arriving tomorrow.  I will be able to mix them in with the ground meat, bones, and organs mixture ...to make COMPLETE and BALANCED meals.

I don't take vitamins, but I should.  I do for a while.  I forget a few days, and then end up blowing them off totally. 

Isn't it fairly common for raw fed pets to have "sandy" poop? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »

Isn't it fairly common for raw fed pets to have "sandy" poop? 

Yes, but it's a LOT sandier when I give them the extra-bone neck pieces a couple of days a week, so I'm almost positive now that the sand has SOMETHING to do with bone.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
Interesting...  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »
What do you think about adding a little of Vets Best to the ratio-skewed Hare-Today bones, organs, and meat mixture... to help with any possible constipation?  Just for a meal every so often, until I get rid of it. 

BTW I received my order of ground boneless meats and organs today.  I already have two of the 5 pound mixtures thawing.  Hoping to make several pounds of cat and dog food tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:58:04 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
I don't see that it would hurt, though it will be right percentages once you mix the other up to end up with 30# of new mix.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
I don't see that it would hurt, though it will be right percentages once you mix the other up to end up with 30# of new mix.

I was referring to the mixture I already have made up. 

Tags: