Author Topic: Raw Feeders That Are Anti-Ground  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Raw Feeders That Are Anti-Ground
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
I have seen (from some of my FAVORITE people) a lot of posts/articles lately against feeding ground raw.  More and more lately.
Let me first say that I DO get it.  I get it that "chunks" are more like a cat's natural prey, better for their teeth, etc.  However... for many furkid parents it is a HUGE jump from kibble to raw.  It was a huge jump for me (and my furkids) just going from kibble to canned!
PERSONALLY, I would rather see a cat (and dog) fed ground raw instead of canned and especially instead of kibble. 
Going by my personal experience, personal ew factor, and opinion only... I would never have made the change from kibble to raw, if my only option was non-ground. 
 2cents
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:05:49 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Raw Feeders That Are Anti-Ground
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »
I get it. I get all the reasons that ground is supposed to not be as good including breaking up proteins, etc. I used to chop things up. My life changed. I don't have the time (or energy) anymore to do it all. I ran out of energy about 2.5 to 3 yrs ago when I started being called over to fix things that Daddy had messed up.

Anyone that tries to tell me that the only way to feed raw is whole or chunks can byte me. I'm not having food dragged around the house spreading possible germs. I DO have a compromised immune system, and cleaning the beard is enough. I'm still not going to go back to feeding kibble or anything else--even if they might eat it, which they won't. A lot of their meats have ground bone in them, so that's there too.

I use Tropiclean tooth gel nightly and a toothbrush about 3x a week. No problems. So that excuse isn't going to fly with me either.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
I just think less people are apt to transition from kibble to prey, chunks, etc.  I would rather see a carnivore fed wet (of any kind) over a totally non-species appropriate diet of kibble! 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:13 PM »
I just think less people are apt to transition from kibble to prey, chunks, etc.  I would rather see a carnivore fed wet (of any kind) over a totally non-species appropriate diet of kibble! 

Exactly.  I understand the reasons about ground not being as good for cleaning teeth, etc.  But it's a process.  1.  Switch cat/dog from kibble to canned.  2.  Switch cat/dog from canned to (any kind of) raw.  If ground is easier for the person, for whatever reason, it is still LIGHT YEARS ahead of kibble.  And if at some point the person wants to go from ground to chunks/whole prey, that's great.  As long as the pet isn't getting kibble, to me that's huge.

And hey, if ground is good enough for Dr. Pierson, I'm certainly not going to have a problem with it.

In my case, I didn't have the time/energy/storage space to buy a grinder, etc., and I was limited to the commercial raw I could feed.  Pookie LOVED the raw chicken hearts/gizzards and tenders I'd give him, so he got that, too.

We do the best we can.  I'll take ground raw over kibble or canned any day.  Just my  2cents.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »
Well said everyone :)  thumbsup1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
I get excited when someone transitions their furkids from dry to wet... ANY wet!  I hope I never say anything that would discourage him/her from doing so. 

With all the believable pet food commercials, untruths that are legally allowed on pet food labels, THE VETS... it is no small miracle when a furkid parent gets a clue that kibble (no matter what the ingredients) is in no way species appropriate. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:16:09 PM »
It's a miracle, but it still strikes me as odd that people don't start asking "why" about certain illness rates raising at a disproportionate percentage to the number of lives.

They don't advocate for their own health, and they surely don't think it's important to advocate for their pets lives and illness treatments. They just follow along and do what they're told like good little zombies.

Whereas, I can't imagine not knowing as much as I can learn about any illness of ANY being in our family. People that don't take the time to study anything just boggle my mind.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: ground raw