Author Topic: Roxy's Vet Visit (and more)  (Read 24483 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Roxy's Vet Visit (and more)
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
Roxy is a nut.   ;D  She will eat a different protein every day.  She will eat the same protein every day.  However, it has to be one or the other. 

To explain...

I have all the frozen raw labeled and lined up in rows, by proteins, in the freezer.   Every morning a frozen container is put into the refrigerator, to thaw for the next day. 
Today they are being fed turkey.  This morning I took out a chicken container for tomorrow.  Tomorrow morning...whatever is next in line.  You get the idea.  Pretty simple.

Welllll, sometimes someone takes out the same protein two days in a row.  If that happens, Roxy has to be coaxed into eating.  It is simple enough to do... a little Vets Best topper or something as simple as putting her in another room, so she can eat very slowly... think about every bite and why she has to eat the same thing two days in a row. lol   

However.... the next day, when the thawing order is done correctly...she will have to be convinced again to eat something different

BTW she was the same way when fed canned... with proteins AND brands. 

And I thought I was a creature of habit. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »
 funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »
Geez. I'm glad I have dogs that like any kind of raw meat I put down--as long as their organs are mixed well into their meat.
 funny2

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
While I am rambling about Roxy :)

She has come a LONG way.  For years, we would talk to her and give her quick pets.  Just enough to let her know we loved her, but not enough to irritate her... or give her the chance to bite or scratch us.  It took a few "oops" for us to learn her rules.

To give you a better idea.  We often said...she could slice and dice us in a nano second.  We never considered her mean.  She just had her limits.  She never ran from us, when we entered the room.  She didn't fear us.  She has always been a part of the game playing.  We were okay, as long as we were at a distance.   

Now.  She "talks" to us quite a bit.  No growling.  No "yelling."  That isn't true.  She does still yell at us when we are slow (by her standards) with the food dish.  She sits in our laps.  She comes to US for attention. That is HUGE.  I can even pick her up and give her a fairly quick hug now. 

I originally thought that our 4 years of patience and understanding was finally stating to "pay off."  Now I am thinking... the changes started happening around the same time I started introducing raw.  Bigger changes, once she was off all meds, not barfing, and eating all raw.  She FEELS better. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »
That is AWESOME!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »
Terrific news Lola, love reading it!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
Thanks all.  I just find their personalities/behaviors SO interesting. 

Tags: