Author Topic: A response to Dr. Chris Collis a Veterinarian in Victoria B.C.  (Read 7150 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: A response to Dr. Chris Collis a Veterinarian in Victoria B.C.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »
Apparently my own thread has been locked  :-\  so I will write this here.
When a situation similar to this comes up again for anyone that feeds a raw diet.  Here are some tips on how you can help others understand. I know some people think that raw feeders are "cultish", yes we have been tagged that over at "catsfur"  bangshead
http://feline-nutrition.org/membership/messaging-how-to-talk-about-feline-nutrition

I started a new thread because... sometimes people tend to read the first post and skip the rest.  I didn't want Growlies' response to get missed. 

As far as how to talk to people about nutrition, I viewed Growlies' response as PERFECT.  It was calm, professional, and included facts/links for back-up. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 12:06:18 AM »
I started a new thread because... sometimes people tend to read the first post and skip the rest.  I didn't want Growlies' response to get missed.  

As far as how to talk to people about nutrition, I viewed Growlies' response as PERFECT.  It was calm, professional, and included facts/links for back-up.  

Oh ok Lola, and I totally agree with you, it was a perfect letter. I just know that while some people in general, including myself, have to keep in check, as I know this can be a very heated topic, because we are all so passionate about it. :)

Here is another blog that I found on feline nutrition.org
 http://exclusivelycats.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/raw-feeding-is-still-an-uphill-battle/  thumbsup1
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:09:07 AM by Shadow »
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
I wish I lived near Dr. Dobias . . . he sounds like a forward-thinking, open-minded vet who truly has his patients' health and well-being in mind. 

"Cats often eat mice that are frequent carriers of salmonella and other bacteriae without any ill effect ..."

I gave Pookie a feeder mouse 2 nights ago, another one last night.  He gets so excited when I get out the bowl to thaw the mouse, and last night he was (as Bumpurr likes to say), tearing around the house at warp speed.  Whether he needed to burn off the excitement of getting a mouse for his bedtime snack, or it made him incredibly happy, I don't know.  But he doesn't seem to have any problems from eating them . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »
Here is another blog that I found on feline nutrition.org
 http://exclusivelycats.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/raw-feeding-is-still-an-uphill-battle/  thumbsup1

snip...
All the while, veterinarians are still throwing up their hands and warning pet guardians about the hazards of feeding raw food. However, a growing number of people, fed up with the litany of recalls and mumbo-jumbo of marketing mavens, are taking the plunge. Suppliers and science-based information, through websites such as the Feline Nutrition Education Society (since this site is geared toward cats) are becoming more accessible.
What is striking about this article about a couple who left the rat race to pursue their passion is the virulent and ambiguous response from a local veterinarian, Chris Collis.

Great blog!  Thanks for sharing, Shadow!!  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:18:18 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org