Author Topic: Plugged in, not charging  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Plugged in, not charging
« on: January 29, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
My HP laptop tells me that the battery is "plugged in, not charging."  I checked HP's website and followed the steps, including updating BIOS and it still gives me that message.  The only thing I haven't done is try a different battery and plug, because I don't have extras.

I did another search and found someone on YouTube that gave instructions.  The last step is to "completely drain the batter and recharge it 3 times.  Important:  allow the battery to cool down to room temperature between charges."  How do I drain the battery?  Is there another way to get the battery to recharge?  It's at 45% right now.

One other possibly silly question:  will the laptop run if I have it plugged in without the battery?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Plugged in, not charging
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »

How do I drain the battery?  Is there another way to get the battery to recharge?  It's at 45% right now.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fully-Discharge-a-Laptop-Battery

One other possibly silly question:  will the laptop run if I have it plugged in without the battery?

http://classroom.synonym.com/can-laptop-computer-work-just-off-ac-adapter-14676.html
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »
Is your laptop old-ish?  The battery could be just worn out. 
In simple terms.... yes, you can use your laptop plugged in.  The battery is for when your latptop is NOT plugged into an outlet. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
Is your laptop old-ish?  The battery could be just worn out. 
In simple terms.... yes, you can use your laptop plugged in.  The battery is for when your latptop is NOT plugged into an outlet. 

My laptop is about a year old.  It's been giving me that message for a while, but I ignored it because I had other things going on.

As for running it w/o the battery:  thanks, ladies, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.  And the steps for draining the battery . . . ugh.  (rhetorical) Why can't the darn thing just charge?  Why do you have to go through 100 steps to fix something like this?  UGH!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:53:52 PM by Pookie »

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »
Because Lithium Ion batteries are finicky things. It really shouldn't be bad after only a year, but it is an HP... So that doesn't help its case. Another thing, laptops require you use the power supply that came with it or a direct replacement, or it won't charge properly. Also, Lithium Ion batteries don't like constant charge-discharge-charge-discharge, unlike older NiCad or NiMH batteries. You generally want to keep it as close to full as possible with few excursions to the 10% or less remaining or they will tend to lose their charge quicker.
Brandon

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
Because Lithium Ion batteries are finicky things. It really shouldn't be bad after only a year, but it is an HP... So that doesn't help its case. Another thing, laptops require you use the power supply that came with it or a direct replacement, or it won't charge properly. Also, Lithium Ion batteries don't like constant charge-discharge-charge-discharge, unlike older NiCad or NiMH batteries. You generally want to keep it as close to full as possible with few excursions to the 10% or less remaining or they will tend to lose their charge quicker.

It's the original battery.  It's never gone all the way down, in fact, it's just been gradually going down and it's at it's lowest point (45%) now.  I haven't done all the steps yet, had too many other things to take care of.

So Brandon, should I not discharge/recharge 3 times like the YouTube video advised as the final step?

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
You can try that for right now, sometimes the battery electronics get weird. I'm just saying, the discharge/recharge cycles are not good to be doing as a regular thing lol.
Brandon

Tags: