Author Topic: Eclipse Warning  (Read 3458 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Eclipse Warning
« on: August 18, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
Something I'm not seeing anyone talk about much is photography during the eclipse. People are seeing a lot of photos of other eclipses, but they don't know that those photos were taken using filters for photographers' camera lens.

IF you're going to try to get photos of the eclipse, you have to have filters for your cameras, or the same thing that happens to eyes (if you look at the sun) will happen to your camera.

IF you don't have an appropriate filter for your lens, the same welding glass that works for viewing the eclipse with your eyes will work. You need #14 grade welding glass. You can get it at places like Lowes, or any hardware store.

I waited too long for a stronger filter, so I'm going to be using a combo of my 8-stop ND filter and #10 welding glass, and maybe my circular polarizer. I'll see tomorrow when I do my testing for best settings b/c these cloudy days we've had this week aren't working for me.

The ONLY time you can photograph the eclipse without a filter is when there is totality. In fact, if you have filters, then you have to take them off during the time of the total eclipse, but put them back on after totality starts ending.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Eclipse Warning
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:23:42 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your pictures!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »

I hope I can manage it. I'm not sure. I've never done anything like this before.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »

Me too!  Good luck!  Are you in the area of totality?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
Me too!  Good luck!  Are you in the area of totality?

Yes. We're one of the areas with the longest time of 2 minutes 40 seconds. They're talking over 1.5 million in Nashville area. I saw 5 RVs yesterday when out and about, and that's NOT normal for a Thursday. Everywhere is booked unless you are talking about people out here renting out land for primitive camping sites--no sewer, no bathrooms, no electric. They said today that 20K will be here in our little rural community--2 different historic sites, one independent RV camping site on the lake, and 1 state park on the lake where the local astronomy group always meets. I haven't heard about it, but I bet the fort area will be full too getting overflow from those that can't get in any of the other areas.

So at least I have a chance at getting decent photos of totality. I'm just going to write down the settings that are in articles and try to change them as fast as I can until I hopefully get at least one good photo during that 2 mins 40 secs.

To cover my butt, I"m going to use a remote instead of not watching the eclipse myself. I'm ABSOLUTELY going to see it whether I get good photos or not.

EDIT: I don't believe #4 about pets. They don't look at the sun on normal days, and this won't be any different. If my dogs decide to look up, I'll take them in, but I still doubt they will.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:12:20 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Do you have the special sunglasses, too?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Do you have the special sunglasses, too?

Sure do. Went and got some for all of us 2 months ago when I first saw them in Walgreens. I also got eclipse shirts that the local tourism office was selling. Monday would have been Daddy's birthday, so we had 2 reasons for saving the date.

Something I've seen that completely breaks my heart is people going to places, getting them for free, and then selling them for up to $5 a pair. Sickening when places have run out and these moon2 's are depriving children (school closed) of getting to easily see it. Most places have also sold out of the good welder's glass. You never know what's going to bring out the worst in people, but I'd like to  pangif them.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:44:57 PM »
We aren't getting a total.  But I am worried about driving during it, it is happening here during my lunch hour. I hope i can avoid glancing at the sun at just the wrong time as I drive.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
Chart for the Manual Settings

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »
Carbondale, IL is the only city to get total solar eclipse twice – they’ll see it again in 2024.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 02:16:07 PM »
No photos. Just didn't work out.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »
No photos. Just didn't work out.

Thanks for trying.  What was it like?  Was it like nighttime there?  I was in the 75% totality so it didn't get very dark here.  It was like a cloudy day (and we had those, too), with an orange tinge.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
We made pinhole viewers from cereal boxes and went out at work and watched.  Some had their phone camera on "selfie" whatever that means and were able to record it that way. There was quite a bit of cloud here too, but we got to see it pretty well, especially with the pin hole box viewers.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »
We got 2 minutes and 40 seconds of totality. People were flocking to this area in TN and KY. Several countries included coming to the Nashville airport, and our local airport that doesn't take anything larger than Lear jets was stuffed. RV's at Walmart. The state park and the other RV park nearby. . .stuffed. People out in fields out here where some rented tent space in their fields.

We stayed here on our hill half shaded under a tree and watched it. Was pretty neat the way the temperature dropped and everything. One of the places in KY that had scientists visiting reported that bats came out chasing the insects that went crazy with the temps dropping.

I'm seriously hoping that the town to the south with a Petco has emptied now. I've heard it was anyway, but you never know since it's right on I-40 and has several motels too.

The only odd thing that happened here? The clip on Vlad's leash broke.

Tags: