Author Topic: So you're thinking about getting a dog  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
So you're thinking about getting a dog
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
WARNING -- RANT AHEAD

*SIGH*  The person who bought the French bulldog has decided that they just can't handle the responsibility involved, and is now looking to sell the dog.  Part of me is really hissed, because I WARNED HIM that it was like having another child, (translate:  WORK) but he didn't "get it" until the dog was there.   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead I can rant more later with the details (if you want, but it will likely get everyone really upset), but the short version is, his wife may be allergic (they thought one of the kids might turn out to be allergic, which begs the question WHY you would bring a dog into the home if there was any question of an allergy, without testing first), the kids are afraid of the dog and don't want to be bothered, and the family is hardly ever home.  Since the dog doesn't seem to be housebroken, or have any other training, and no one seems to have the time or inclination to train him, he's going to have to go to another home. 

Given the situation, it's probably for the best, but I feel horrible for this poor dog, because he's only 5 months old and had to travel by plane to his new home.  From what I can tell, my co-worker is so caught up in the drama of caring for the dog that there's no attempt to understand what the dog is dealing with:  removal of everything familiar, strange sights/smells/sounds, a trip on a plane (I don't like flying myself -- I can only imagine what the puppy was feeling!), a new home with strange people, surroundings, etc.

I know I'm being hypocritical here, because I had no clue what I was in for when I brought Pookie and his sister home, but I did understand that I had a responsibility to do everything I could to take care of them.  I understood that they were not potted plants that could just be ignored unless it was convenient.  So it upsets me that other people don't THINK about what they're getting into, and then get upset when they realize actual work is involved.

All of this got me to thinking, maybe people should be required to take a test, or do a week-trial (using a plant or an egg or something) to make them aware of the responsibility.  But I doubt that's realistic, so I did a very quick search for sites that explain what's involved, and wanted to post them here.

My first question would be:  why do you want to get a dog (or a cat)?  If it's "because the kids keep begging for one" then forget it, that's NOT a good enough reason.  Tell the kids "no" and let them get used to hearing that word, because they will hear it again many times during their life.

The links I found bring up other good points, but I stick with what I think the first question should be.  Feel free to add more questions or links to this thread.  Most, if not all of us here, are already aware of the responsibilities that come with being a pet parent, but this information may be helpful if you know of folks (like my co-worker) who are just clueless.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/7570643/list/So-You-re-Thinking-About-Getting-a-Dog/

http://thenectarcollective.com/2013/10/youre-thinking-getting-a-dog/

Ok, rant over.  Thanks for letting me get that out of my system.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: So you're thinking about getting a dog
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:20:36 PM »
Just so he knows, MANY breeders have clauses that say that you have to contact them first before getting rid of one of their puppies--which many don't pay attention to if there's a contract!!!! He'd better contact the breeder before doing anything else!

I really DO wish people had to take a test to have a pet. Heck, I wish they had to do testing before becoming pregnant with little humans!!! It won't ever happen though--unless we get someone like Marilyn Manson as president. He said that's something he'd do if he were president.

"You should have to pass an IQ test before you breed. You have to take a driving test to operate vehicles and an SAT test to get into college. So why dont you have to take some sort of test before you give birth to children? When I am President, thats the first rule I will institute--Marilyn Manson " 
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »
I really DO wish people had to take a test to have a pet. Heck, I wish they had to do testing before becoming pregnant with little humans!!!

I never thought of it that way, but good point!  I don't know if he had a contract with the breeder.  I honestly don't know if this was a legitimate breeder or someone who does it as a hobby.

On a side note:  what are your thoughts about Cesar Milan?  I know he has a wonderful reputation, but I've never watched him (don't get the channel) and wondered if he's as good as everyone says.  My co-worker was on his website last night getting training tips.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:15 PM »
Some people don't like Cesar. I don't like SOME aspects of his OLD training. He's changed some of his training ways though. You don't see him throwing dogs down on their backs anymore.

I use a lot of his methods, but I've always had very strong, determined, protective breeds. Right now, I've got a breed that I absolutely can't let take control. I have to make sure he's sitting (this is a submissive pose in itself) when introducing him to someone. The idea of alpha and submissive is in no way what I consider abusive. I don't yank, or hit my dogs. Instead of "Ssss," I use the word, "No." I  use my foot gently on his side to get his attention when I'm walking both of them. I only have 2 hands, and I don't want both leashes in one hand because of their height difference. So a light touch with my foot at Vlad's side works for me.

They both also have to understand there's "potty walk" and "walking walk." One I let them free from "heel," and the other I don't. Seriously, how does anyone expect a dog to potty if they're heeling at the same time? In RV parks they have to stay leashed, so they get 2 different types of walking.

Cesar's technique of leashing a dog and carrying them around with you at your side while vacuuming to stop a dog from chasing and barking at the vacuum is how I broke Barkly from his freak-out over the vacuum being used around him. It worked because suddenly he understood that I was in control of the vacuum and him too. A dog understanding who's in control is what it's all about in some cases and some situations. I hurt that dog in no way by doing this, so it's okay with me. It wasn't traumatizing for him one single bit. Any time a dog thinks something isn't being controlled, it can cause a fear situation with them. They shouldn't have to live like that.

I also use a lot of techniques from Victoria Stillwell. A lot of her techniques work just because of her presence. She looks like someone in the military--just like Cesar. Everyone has to find a way that works for them. I've used a lot of ways to train my dogs. If something isn't going to work, I can figure it out pretty fast, and I change up to use something else I've seen someone use.

But make no mistake, any time a dog thinks that there's no one in control, they'll try to control the situation. That's not good for a dog to think if someone has a dog like Vlad. There's only one time that Vlad should think that he's in control, and that's if I do NOT tell him sit or down here on our own land and in our own house. If I don't give him a command and he thinks the situation is dangerous, then I think the situation is dangerous as well, and I want him to eat them up as fast as he can. If he didn't know that I'm alpha (as Cesar preaches), then he'd take control ALL the time. That would NOT be a good thing.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »
The sad part... your co-worker is more the norm, than not. 
I wonder WHY he didnt do any homework?  Apparently, he had some sort of contact with the "breeder." He had to wait until the pup was x months old.  Had to have the pup flown out to him.  Probably paid a pretty penny.  It wasn't like he was at a shelter, and made a split second decision. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
Supposedly he researched the breed, and thought they were a good choice for the family that he has.  When I would try to explain to him that he would be basically bringing another child into the home and the work involved, many times he responded "but he's so CUTE!"   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

Where he really failed was in researching what's involved in caring for a dog.  Regardless of the breed, you still have to take it outside, feed it, and give it attention and training.  I don't know if the "breeder" bothered to house train this puppy or if the stress of the flight and new home made the puppy forget his training, but he's been peeing and pooping on his bedding, and all over the house.  The puppy also has giardia (and I confess, I know nothing about breeders, but I find it hard to believe a reputable breeder would sell a sick puppy).  So my co-worker is upset about the peeing/pooping, the expense (yes, he paid a nice chunk of money plus the shipping, and that's not counting the toys, vet bills and "premium" pet food), and the amount of attention the puppy is demanding.

He mentioned that his wife had gone shopping with friends and the kids, and he was at a friend's house when he realized they'd forgotten to feed the dog.  And since his wife had the car (I guess she'd dropped him off), he had no way to get home.  Fortunately a relative was visiting and he called her to ask her to feed the dog.  I was APPALLED.  HOW do you forget to feed your pet!?!?! ???

The sad part... your co-worker is more the norm, than not. 

I know.   :(  And before he bought the dog, I tried to convince him he could find that breed at a shelter, but he wanted this puppy.  I guess he should be careful what he wishes for.  Meanwhile, I'm crossing paws and fingers fingerscrossed that he finds the puppy a good home.  And SOON.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »
The puppy also has giardia (and I confess, I know nothing about breeders, but I find it hard to believe a reputable breeder would sell a sick puppy). 

I don't know of any reputable breeder that would sell a sick puppy, but giardia is an unfortunate protozoa. Sometimes the pets can carry it for a lifetime and only a lucky fecal smear will find it. Sometimes they don't show they've got it until stressed and then the stresses causes the body to go crazy with it and it shows. Sometimes they have giardia, but a fecal exam doesn't show it. It requires a lucky fecal.

Here's the bad part--if that puppy is pooping all over the house, etc.--it's zoonotic. His kids can catch it and get really sick from it too--especially if a careless family (as I suspect they might be) doesn't take care to disinfect the area where the poop is.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
I GUESS a person can forget to feed a pet... as much as a parent can forget their child is in the car.  I can't imagine, but... 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »
I GUESS a person can forget to feed a pet... as much as a parent can forget their child is in the car.  I can't imagine, but... 

IF people would put their *&^!% phones down, and pay attention to other things more than their own selves, they wouldn't forget stuff.

Yes that's a rant on one of my most hated issues with the world around us these days.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
Cellphones... that is a whole 'nother thread!  lol  MAJOR pet peeve, and I have one and LOVE it.  BUT... there is a time and place.   2cents

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »
UPDATE:  They're keeping the dog.  The kids have become attached to him and they won't allow the parents to give him up.  *SIGH*

Maybe I'm just being hissy, but I think I would have preferred they found a good home for the poor puppy.  I don't think that family is cut out to have pets.  I hope I'm wrong, for the puppy's sake.  fingerscrossed.

Thanks, everyone, for letting me ramble/rant.   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »

Maybe I'm just being hissy, but I think I would have preferred they found a good home for the poor puppy.  I don't think that family is cut out to have pets.  I hope I'm wrong, for the puppy's sake.  fingerscrossed.

Poor thing is probably going to be living a life of chaos where everyone yells at everyone else because no one wants to do the work that has to be done.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:23:32 PM »
I'm with you, Pookie... thinking the dog had a better chance elsewhere.  Good luck working with that person, when he/she tells you stories... 

That is wonderful!  Glad they came around.  I wish them, and the dog, mannnnny years of happiness. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
I'm with you, Pookie... thinking the dog had a better chance elsewhere.  Good luck working with that person, when he/she tells you stories... 

That is wonderful!  Glad they came around.  I wish them, and the dog, mannnnny years of happiness. 

funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
Keep us posted...realllllllly hoping all goes well.  *fingers crossed*

Tags: