Author Topic: Declawing  (Read 7419 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Declawing
« on: June 28, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »
While it is illegal and even unheard of in other countries, unfortunately there is a percentage of US Veterinarians (such as on WebMD and a mainstream chain practice, for example) who think there are positives to this procedure, therefore many cat parents have it done having no idea whatsoever of the facts.  

http://www.pawproject.org/

Written by Veterinarian Dr. Christianne Schelling  http://www.declawing.com/

"...It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw ... Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes".  And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk ... regardless of the pain it is experiencing... Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat..."

This is just a jumpstart  -- Please feel free to add other resources you may be aware of!  

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Declawing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »
Saw this link in Tasha's signature:

http://www.pawproject.org/

"Declawing is a surgical procedure, also called onychectomy, in which the animal's toes are amputated at the last joint. Most people do not realize that a portion of the bone—not only the nail—is removed."

LOTS more info...check out the website!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:08:04 AM »
This link is in my signature in every forum I belong to that allows a siggy.

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

Did you know that declawing of cats is outlawed  because it is considered inhumane in at least 26 countries around the world?  And 9 cities in the USA?

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Bosnia
Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium
Brazil
Australia
New Zealand
Yugoslavia
Malta
Israel

(someone recently told me it is illegal in Turkey, too)

West Hollywood, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Beverly Hills, CA
Berkeley, CA
Burbank, CA
Culver City, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA

With it being banned in Norfolk VA for any reason but medical, whatever that means.

I don't understand how anyone can do it, once they know the facts.

I only have a couple of 'blind spots', where there is NO other side to it.  One is declawing of cats

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »
This is from the link in my signature:

Contrary to most people's understanding, declawing consists of amputating not just the claws, but the whole phalanx (up to the joint), including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. Thus declawing is not a “simple”, single surgery but 10 separate, painful amputations of the third phalanx up to the last joint of each toe.

From me (but my knowledge comes from sites like this one):  Cats walk on their toes. When the toes are amputated  their entire balance and gait and ability to stretch are affected for the remainder of their lives.  Since cats instinctively hide pain, it is my opinion that most cats who have been declawed suffer pain, back pain and probably toe pain, their entire lives.

They no longer can walk properly which puts stress on muscles and joints and bone that were not designed to have that kind of stress.  They can no longer stretch properly, so they can't ever EVER get relief.

Every time I hear of another cat who has had this evil done to him or her, I break down in tears.

And don't be lulled into thinking the laser procedure is any better.  The method is different, the results are the same:  life time of crippling.

Statistics on post amputation problems, both health and behavior, are skewed, because most people who have had it done, and feel justified, and intend to do it again, will never admit there were any problems with their cat. People who say their cats are "fine" after a declaw just don't want to see.  People who are honest with themselves and regret doing it, are quick to admit it, and to detail issues they may have had to deal with.

Often vets are greatly to blame.  Vets, eager for the fee, offer spay/neuter/declaw packages to new kitten owners.  And the vets who willingly do it to adult cats are just.....criminal in my opinion. This type of vet does not give full disclosure about what it entails.  They call it lightly "removal of the claws" making it sound so easy and pretty.

I have more to say on this but am out of time at the moment.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
About a year or so ago, I took someone else's cat to their vet.  While I was waiting, I could hear the receptionist on the phone.  Apparently, someone called asking about declawing.  The receptionist was so "ho hum" about the procedure.  NOTHING was mentioned about what is ACTUALLY done.  Nothing that receptionist said, gave the person on the phone a CLUE to consider not having the procedure done.  My head was spinning. 
I understand (to a point) if a person is going to have it done, the office answering the phone may as well be the one to get the "business."  I'm not saying I could pull it off, but a few facts politely tossed into the conversation, may have EDUCATED the person on the phone a bit.  A few facts here and there...and then let the customer make the decision. 

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »
I watch my cats use their claws every day~ it is such a part of who they are I can't believe that it is legal to take that away from them. 

How do you guys feel about trimming claws?  I have trimmed T&T's claws since they were little.  If I don't trim them both cats get hung up on things easily.  Does this happen because they are so used to them being trimmed shorter?

This article says you shouldn't even trim claws:

http://rawmeatcatfood.com/2010/08/11/cats-claws/

cat3

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
I trim all cats claws regularly. I haven't read your link yet, but I can already tell I'm going to hate it, LOL. Perhaps cats who live outside shouldn't have their claws trimmed, but inside cats most certainly need it, for their own safety.

I know what you mean about cats' claws being a part of who they are.  That is especially true for The Boy.  He LOVES his claws and spends hours lovingly grooming them.  And then I go and snip them and he has to start all over again! funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
I've read the article.  Where does this person get his or her data I wonder.

By clipping the tip of the claws the outer layers to be shed often accumulate alongside the claws and under the cuticle, frequently resulting in an infection of the nail bed.

Frequent infections?  I've been nail trimming for years,  None of my cats have ever had a build up of layers, or an infection in their nail bed, nor have I ever heard of it happening in any of the gazillion pet forums I visit.

An accumulation of old layers on clipped claws often gives the appearance of brittle claws, which care givers often remedy by lubricating the claws with oil. The oil will soak through the entire horny tissue of the claw, gluing the layers together. Subsequently, the claws will grow into large, dull stumps, often causing discomfort to the cat.

Again I have never heard of anyone "oiling" a cat's claws.  That doesn't mean of course that people don't do it, but this use of the words "frequently" and "often" is what gets my back up.

I don't trim claws to protect my furniture or to protect myself, I trim claws to protect them.  Cats continue to use their scratching posts, even with trimmed claws, and so they still shed the dead sheaths, I find them all the time.

reduce unnecessary handling of the cat, and have cuddle and stoke sessions on the cat’s terms. Don’t pick up a cat that dislikes being picked up

Horrible advice.  The more you handle a cat the better.  Cats need to be got used to handling, so that when it comes time for necessary handling, such as administering medications, the cat will not freak out. Very few cats actually "like" being picked up.  But I pick my cats up every day, just to show them that it is okay for them to be picked up, nothing bad will happen.  I pick cat up, give him or her a kiss, and put him or her back down again.

It's scary that there is so much misinformation about cats out there.  This article makes it sound like cats are wild uncontrollabe creatures who will scratch you up as soon as look at you.  What hogwash! ;D

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:17:07 AM »
Thanks MC   hellowave

I have never heard of infections or oiling claws either.  But I have noticed that sometimes the nails are a little "splintery"~ you know what I mean? 

I find the husks everywhere too~ especially around the scratching posts  thumbsup1

Tasha really hates being picked up, but I do like you and pick her up every day~ she cries and it sounds like "noooooo" which I find endearing :)

cat3

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:21:15 AM »
Another question~ do your cats chew on their claws? 

Tasha does it a lot, especially her back ones.  I guess she is trying to remove the sheath?   :-\

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
I don't trim any of our felines' nails.  I don't have an opinon for or against trimming.   Bumpurr1 Ours seem to keep their nails "in check" on their own, by making use of the many scratching posts and such around the hours.  

Tasha,
We do have one cat that "bites his nails."  He removes the sheaths.  I wonder if it is because he is less active, than the others, with his use of the scratching posts?  Hmmmm

I don't currently trim our dogs' nails either.  They keep them trimmed via activity. Once they get older, and are less active, then I will trim their nails.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:58:12 PM »
Swheat Scoop promotes Declawing!!http://www.littlebigcat.com/category/declawing/
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »

Horrible advice.  The more you handle a cat the better.  Cats need to be got used to handling, so that when it comes time for necessary handling, such as administering medications, the cat will not freak out. Very few cats actually "like" being picked up.  But I pick my cats up every day, just to show them that it is okay for them to be picked up, nothing bad will happen.  I pick cat up, give him or her a kiss, and put him or her back down again.

To avoid injury, reduce unnecessary handling of the cat, and have cuddle and stoke sessions on the cat’s terms. Don’t pick up a cat that dislikes being picked up. Play with toys attached to a stick or suspended from a string. Provide the cat with suitable scratching locations and objects to avoid damage to your furnishings. http://rawmeatcatfood.com/2010/08/11/cats-claws/

I took her advice more to mean...go slooooow.  

Our first cat, Lucky, was found outside.  She was just a few weeks old...and alone.  Don't know who her mother was..."just" an outside cat or feral.   :-\ I do know one thing, Lucky was meaner than heck!  She could slice and dice ya in seconds.  lol  
We DID handle her.  We just went verrrrrrrry slowly and only for short periods of time.  She came around eventually.  She is 10 years old now, and isn't exactly a smuggler...but she does have her favorite humans.
Our current (semi-permanent) guest kitty, we fondly refer to as Satan's Spawn.  We are taking the same slow route with her, as we did with Lucky.  She's made some huge changes in the last year.  Slowly, but surely.  

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »
THANKS for the info, Shadow!

Snip..

Swheat Scoop promotes declawing–please boycott!
July 15, 2011
By jhofve77
I heard about this a couple of days ago, but was so enraged and disgusted that I had to calm down a little before I wrote about it.

In a current ad campaign and on their package labels, the wheat-based kitty litter maker, Swheat Scoop, states: “It’s so gentle, this litter is even recommended by veterinarians for newly declawed cats.” Srsly????

Intrepid investigator Dr. Jenny Conrad of The Paw Project called the company. Result?

Their answer was that they don’t promote declawing, but since it’s going to happen, they want to provide a safe and clean alternative litter to help those cats.

snip..

And if you’d like to let them know what you think, call them at 1-800-SWHEATS (794-3287), or use their online contact form at http://swheatscoop.com/contact

More info: http://www.littlebigcat.com/blog/swheat-scoop-for-newly-declawed-cats/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:12:49 PM by Lola, Reason: added contact link »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
Another question~ do your cats chew on their claws? 

Tasha does it a lot, especially her back ones.  I guess she is trying to remove the sheath?   :-\

cat3

Oh Yes.  The Boy especially.  He LOVES his claws and is always grooming them. :)