Author Topic: Just In Case You Didn't Already Think About DNA Companies. . .  (Read 1334 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
In case you never thought about those DNA "heredity" tests from places like Ancestry, you need to make sure you actually know what's done with it after you get your test results. Think they just threw your DNA away? Nope.

Despite all that, we’re guessing that when you signed up for Ancestry or 23andMe, you probably didn’t read the fine print to find out what, exactly, those companies plan to do with your data. We can’t blame you—they’re long, boring polices written in legalese that’s difficult to understand. If you actually read those policies, though, you might not have gone ahead with the test. It turns out that the breadth of rights you are giving away to your DNA is kind of terrifying.

Lucky for you, Gizmodo slogged though every line of Ancestry.com, 23andMe, and Helix’s privacy, terms of service, and research policies with the help of experts in privacy, law and consumer protection. It wasn’t fun. We fell asleep at least once. And what we found wasn’t pretty.

“It’s basically like you have no privacy, they’re taking it all,” said Joel Winston, a consumer protection lawyer. “When it comes to DNA tests, don’t assume you have any rights.”

Read the whole story at:  https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing-companies-terrifying-privacy-policies-1819158337
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:42:33 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Just In Case You Didn't Already Think About DNA Companies. . .
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
I always thought it sounded kinda creepy.  No interest in doing it, however I know several who have.

And if you choose to share your genetic information with your doctor or others, it may be used against you and impact the coverage you receive. Worse yet, as 23andMe states bluntly in their Terms of Service: “If you are asked by an insurance company whether you have learned Genetic Information about health conditions and you do not disclose this to them, this may be considered to be fraud.” Genetic testing companies may promise to not share information with insurers without your consent, but that doesn’t stop an insurer from asking you whether you have ever taken any genetic tests. And if the answer is yes, you could be compelled to share information relevant to your health. (A new health care bill and seemingly stalled legislation introduced last March in the house both further threaten to challenge protections that allow you to keep your genetic information private.)

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:16:47 AM »
 :-X

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »
Our vet actually advertises DNA testing for pets. All three are family members and that is all that counts! Do I really want to know what could be a fox in the hen house of the family tree?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »
Our vet actually advertises DNA testing for pets. All three are family members and that is all that counts! Do I really want to know what could be a fox in the hen house of the family tree?

With DeeDee mentioning our dog Misa being a Carolina dog.... DNA testing for her, did pop into my head.  Humans... too creepy.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
With DeeDee mentioning our dog Misa being a Carolina dog.... DNA testing for her, did pop into my head.  Humans... too creepy.

https://embarkvet.com/ancestry
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »
No Carolina, on the list.

But they test for Dingo.  funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 07:27:39 AM »
But they test for Dingo.  funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2
I did not realize that my MIL is on a dna test list.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »

HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:20 AM »

:o

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »

DogLaugh1

Tags: