Author Topic: This guy thinks it's 'wasteful' to feed good food to your pet  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
and it seems wasteful to feed high-quality meat to pets who can’t tell the difference. It is, in a sense, a laudable form of recycling.

He thinks, since animals "can't tell the difference", we might as well just give them the 4-D foods.

http://www.vnews.com/lifetimes/5833274-95/dog-eat-dog-pet-food-not-just-beef-and-chicken

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: This guy thinks it's 'wasteful' to feed good food to your pet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
WASTEFUL to feed our pets decent food?  Does this guy really think an animal's body "can't tell the difference" between real nutrition and junk that may be full of drugs and other inappropriate things?  Of course, an animal can't tell the difference on an intellectual level.  But I assure you that you will see a huge difference in health, coat, activity and general well being,  if you feed your pet a better food.

His attitude seems to be "it's just an animal who cares if it feels good?"

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:04 AM »
I honestly can't tell if he's trying to tell people the truth about pet food--or if he's on a rant about wastefulness and neutering.

He seems awfully sarcastic and facetious to me.

Within it all, he seems VERY determined to let people know exactly what's in that junk. He seems VERY upset about what humans have done to animal life overall. Maybe he's saying that if we hypocritically don't care about other animals any more than we do, why should we care about dogs and cats?

This mass of otherwise unwanted death is a measure of the animal suffering caused by human activity. Fifty percent of all chickens hatched out for the egg business are unneeded roosters that are discarded. Roughly 75 percent of all cats in shelters are euthanized. Because they were unprofitable, because they were inconvenient, because we made too many of them, they were killed.

The more that I learned about the pet-food business while writing this article, the less significant the cannibalism aspect seemed to me. My initial outrage at feeding dogs to dogs gave way to outrage at dogs being overproduced and dumped in shelters to be killed in the first place. One million deer are killed by vehicles each year. Even the plastic and Styrofoam from wasted grocery store meat that nobody even bothers to unpackage before rendering has come to seem a minor harm compared to the sins of a food system that devotes so much arable land to producing meat - in a world where people still starve to death - that we can’t even get around to eating it all before the expiration date hits.

Yes, it's an ugly way to bring up his point, but he DOES have a point in all that--a point that has nothing to do with pet food, but more a point about the evils of man that get the meat to the rendering plants in the first place.

Perhaps he watched Soylent Green one too many times?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:23:17 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Yes, he did wander around to other topics in a strange way.  I just kind of skimmed over that stuff, since the subject of the article was what I was focusing on. And of course he is entitled to his opinion that it is a waste to feed a decent diet to pets, but I am entitled to mine, that his opinion is offensive and disgusting, LOL.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »
And of course he is entitled to his opinion that it is a waste to feed a decent diet to pets, but I am entitled to mine, that his opinion is offensive and disgusting, LOL.

He DOES seem to be filled with a lot of hate toward his fellow man, doesn't he? But I do think he cares about what's happening to animals.

This last statement of his is what made me go back and read it again because it seemed to be saying that if there weren't dogs getting killed, it wouldn't be there:

Put Lassie on the label, since she’s on the menu anyway. If you don’t like it, adopt a shelter dog and make sure it’s neutered.

It's VERY offensive to say what he did, the way he did, but I think he truly went for the BIG shock-factor when trying to wake up those that don't care at all. I can't fault him for trying to wake people up, since so many of them don't do any research whatsoever.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: