Author Topic: This Is the Only Thing You Should Do If a Tick Lands on You  (Read 1005 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
"Folklore remedies" only put you at greater risk for dangerous diseases.

Scientists already predict Lyme disease to surge this year, but a viral tick "trick" could put people even more at risk.

The popular Facebook video advises dousing the parasites in peppermint oil, causing them to float up and away from the skin. "Death to ticks!!" the caption exclaims. Almost a half million viewers have since shared the post, recommending it to their friends and family.

The only problem? The "tip" directly contradicts experts' advice and actually increases the likelihood of contracting tickborne illnesses, like Lyme and Powassan virus.

Read more at: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/mindandbody/this-is-the-only-thing-you-should-do

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:27:23 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: This Is the Only Thing You Should Do If a Tick Lands on You
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
That's a new one, to use essential oil to get them to detach, but yeah, I agree with the article -- why wait for them to detach?  It's just best to remove the little buggers with tweezers.  Then if you want to put oil on it, you can, BUT essential oils like peppermint should always be diluted in a carrier oil like almond oil.  They're too strong to use directly on the skin.

To get rid of the pests, put them in a sealed bag or container, or just flush them down the toilet.

I hate to break it to these folks, but I have actually seen a tick walking up the toilet bowl BELOW THE WATERLINE after flushing.  :-X  I don't know if they have glue on their "feet" or what, but after that, we didn't bother with the toilet anymore.  We put the little creeps on the kitchen sink (stainless steel) and burned 'em with a match.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: This Is the Only Thing You Should Do If a Tick Lands on You
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
I've had them crawl off V&B a couple of times, and I've stuck them in ziploc bags and dated them with Sharpies--JUST IN CASE.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: