Author Topic: Facebook Has You Politically Categorized  (Read 1665 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Facebook Has You Politically Categorized
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
This is NOT a joke. If you use FB, you need to do like I've been doing the last 30 minutes. X yourself out of all their little categories that they've put you in because it's just not funny anymore. I've sent it to a local investigative reporter, and maybe the rest of you could too. This needs to be brought out considering all the info that's coming out about them not protecting the information of people lately.

I don't even talk politics and they have me categorized:

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Re: Facebook Has You Politically Categorized
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
Yep. X-ing them only makes them go away temporarily tho... It always seems to come right back again. And you might remove that info, but deep in a database somewhere, it's still there.
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
Yep. X-ing them only makes them go away temporarily tho... It always seems to come right back again.

Yep, but I opted out of some things "permanently" in that section. We'll see how it goes. I figure I'll be checking it all every week from now on and thwarting them when I can.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »
I opened an account recently as most employers in recruiting want "exposure". No clue what to do in/with FB. May I bother you with questions tomorrow or so if I get stuck?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »
Sure. If one of us doesn't know, the other will.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
In the meantime, some of these videos might help you: 

Check out the videos in the right sidebar of that video too.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:59:13 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 05:49:56 PM »
I opened an account recently as most employers in recruiting want "exposure". No clue what to do in/with FB. May I bother you with questions tomorrow or so if I get stuck?

For what it's worth, ThreeStep, I was out of the workforce for a while and finally (sort of) got back in as a contractor.  I'm not on Facebook (thankfully) but I am on LinkedIn.  You might want to think about joining that as well.  It's sort of like a Facebook but for business use.  In other words, you "connect" (aka friend, in Facebook terms) other people you work with, haved worked with in the past, or in companies where you'd like to work (though it helps to know someone who knows someone).  Recruiters look at LinkedIn as well.  They may look on job boards like Monster or Indeed, and maybe Facebook, but when I knew I was going to lose my old job, everyone told me that I HAD to be on LinkedIn.

Just a suggestion.  Good luck!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »
They may look on job boards like Monster or Indeed, and maybe Facebook, but when I knew I was going to lose my old job, everyone told me that I HAD to be on LinkedIn.

From what I understand, when companies look at people's FB, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, they're looking to see if they like partying, if they have some serious political leanings (and arguments), or if they're just overall crazy.

A lot of people have not been hired, or have been actually fired, over their FB accounts.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
From what I understand, when companies look at people's FB, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, they're looking to see if they like partying, if they have some serious political leanings (and arguments), or if they're just overall crazy.

A lot of people have not been hired, or have been actually fired, over their FB accounts.

Which is one of the many reasons why I don't have one.  Of course, I'd also heard in the past that NOT having one could be a strike against you, too.  Whatever.   ::)  I don't know how true that is, and I'd be surprised if it's THAT big a deal at this point.  Like you said, DeeDee, they're looking for things that may not "reflect the company's image" like partying, so they can use something against you.

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:52:39 PM »
I got fired from my first trucking job thanks to my YouTube videos. Nothing is sacred when everything is publicized.
Brandon

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 10:54:31 PM »
I got fired from my first trucking job thanks to my YouTube videos. Nothing is sacred when everything is publicized.

:o

Were these videos of Buddy?  If so, WTH?!?! ???

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »
Nah, I used to be a bit of a vlogger, following in the footsteps of people like Cory "Mr Safety" Williams (of Mean Kitty fame), naively believing I could be nearly as successful as he is and actually live on YouTube earnings. While I was driving for TMC, I was making videos daily basically showing my life on the road. TMC did not like my style. I don't vlog anymore. Hell I barely make videos at all anymore.

I should clarify: I wasn't exactly "fired" per se, I was given the option to either quit or be fired. I drove my ass off for that company and they knew it, I think that's the only reason they didn't just straight up fire me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:08:02 PM by AK49BWL »
Brandon

Tags: