Author Topic: Making bone broth - Look at this largesse!  (Read 12283 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Making bone broth - Look at this largesse!
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
All this from one little 1.5 pound Cornish hen, no giblets. (certified organic, non GMO Project Verified)

To the far left in the glass corning cup is meat and bone broth mixed, for Jennie and Queen Eva's supper.  They usually have a prey model beef meal on Sunday, but after smelling the bone broth cooking all weekend they must have this!

In the middle row, back and forward are plain broth.  I am scooping out of those for Mazy cat's meals.  I just put the meat and broth into one of my corning ware glass containers, set it in a dish of hot water and warm it up, then put it on a saucer for Mazy cat.  I hand feed her the meat, then she drinks the broth.

The right row shows another jar of broth (16 ounces) and all the meat.  The broth will be frozen in ice cub trays for single servings, and the meat will be frozen for snacks, whatever is left after Mazy cat no longer needs it for sustenance, that is.

I didn't want to put it in the freezer hot but now that I am thinking about it maybe I better put it in the trays before it gels.  It will be easier to pour into the ice cube trays as liquid.

The baggie behind contains the waste that is to be discarded.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Making bone broth - Look at this largesse!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »
 DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

You're right, it probably would be better to put the broth in the ice cube trays before it starts to gel.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:50:06 PM »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »
Your bone broth is making me hungry.  And making me think that I need to make broth again for my furkid gang.
That is an adorable video.  Mazy is a cutie patootie!! 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:06:40 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »
I found the cheesecloth in the crafts section, thanks for the tip whichever one of you it was who suggested that!  I picked up a small package of it anyway, even though I did manage to strain the broth with the screen strainer.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
What's left of the Cornish hen bone broth, all ready to freeze! These are 1 tablespoon portions, each has a little meat in them too. I think I'm going to try giving Mazy cat one of these twice a week.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »
That actually looks yummy!  So you let the broth gel first?  I assume you won't add any vitamins or anything, since it is more of a snack?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 09:54:52 PM »
I assume you won't add any vitamins or anything, since it is more of a snack?

Personally, I would consider that more of a supplement.  Lots of vitamins and minerals!   thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 12:15:47 AM »
Personally, I would consider that more of a supplement.  Lots of vitamins and minerals!   thumbsup1

I knew my use of the word "snack" wasn't good, but I couldn't come up with anything better at the time.   Silly7

I'm curious if MC feeds this in addition to their daily meals. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 04:50:36 AM »
Yes, this will be an addition to Mazy cat's regular diet.  No I won't add anything. There's still about a half cup of broth in the fridge that I forgot about.  I'll give her a tablespoon of that daily until it's gone, then twice a week I'll give her one of these with the meat.

As much as she loves the Cornish hen I am not going to use another to make it again. Those hens are expensive and I need them for her raw meals. Next time I'll use a Coleman organic chicken. I hope she likes it as well.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 10:58:38 AM »
Next time I'll use a Coleman organic chicken. I hope she likes it as well.

I'm sure she will!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 09:34:15 PM »
I looked this thread up because I thought it would a quicker way to refresh my memory on the details of the last time I made the bone broth.

First of all I did end up using another one of Mazy cat's Cornish hens.  I hated to sacrifice another one, but ..well I went round and round in my head about using a Coleman's roaster chicken but the bottom line is I do not have the room to make or store that much bone broth at one time.

I have extra bones this time though because I just cut one up for her meals, too.  So instead of saving the bones for my own soup, I am using them for hers.

So it's another one of those round the clock nights unless I decide to put it away and start it back up again in the morning.

I've looked at the slow cookers in Walmart but I hated them all and I have no place to store one anyway.  I looked on Amazon too and of course there's no way to choose from thousands of choices.  So it's still stove stop cooking for me.

Mazy cat is getting the bone broth daily instead of twice a week.  I use the bone broth instead of water for her EZcomplete meal every night.  She LOVES it. She also loves the bits of meat that are in each cube of broth.  I thaw the cube, hand feed her the meat, then she gets her meals.

Actually she is getting it five days a week.  I skip it on her egg yolk days.

PS I am thinking that the next time I make my own stock, I might try for the real bone broth instead of just the 8 hour cook down.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »
Mazy cat is getting the bone broth daily instead of twice a week.  I use the bone broth instead of water for her EZcomplete meal every night.  She LOVES it. She also loves the bits of meat that are in each cube of broth.  I thaw the cube, hand feed her the meat, then she gets her meals.

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous, in a good way.  It is wonderful, that you're giving her the broth, and it's a great way for her to get minerals in an absorbable form, and healing for her system, too.  I wish I could have done for Pookie what you're doing for her.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 10:10:55 PM »
 I want to share an interesting observation: Mazy cat has been on the daily bone broth now for two months and one week.

A little history: even though she's been 100% raw since February (as opposed to canned/raw) she has continued to have the same size stools. Much larger than normal for raw fed cat. I thought they would get smaller when she went all raw, but they stayed just as large as they were when she was canned and raw fed.

(Her poop schedule has not changed wither. Every 36 hours. You could almost set your watch by it. :))

I knew the Vets-Best might be part of the cause but still, she was on the same amount of V-B when it was canned and raw. They SHOULD have gotten smaller and less odorous but they didn't.

Until now. It's only been the last two weeks I've noticed Mazy cat's poops are finally starting to look more like Jennie's and Queen Eva's! (AND no longer smell)

My conclusion is, the bone broth is doing the job of helping her body absorb the nutrients in her food instead of it getting pooped back out. And it took about 6 weeks to get her to that point.

Maybe a reduction in the frequency of regurgitation episodes is next. I never give up hoping, anyway.

Tags: bone broth