Author Topic: Long Haired Litter - Precious Cat  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Long Haired Litter - Precious Cat
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
I already use Ultra Precious Cat Litter... the blue bag.  It clumps VERY good.  Little to no dust.  Unscented... no sneezing cats.  The price IS very comparable to other decent litters.  I pay 15 to 16 bucks for 40 pounds. 

Anyway.... I'm not one to leave good enough alone.   Silly7  Soooooo I thought I would try the Long Haired Litter, to change things up a little.  :)  Not that poop or litter sticks to Lilly, but she does have long and thick hair, plus "bloomers." Lilly is not a small cat. She (and her hair) take up a lot of space in a litter box.  I thought maybe she would like more room. Less of this litter seems to be required.  Less litter = more head room.  All my boxes are covered, due to the over the side shooters.

I get it that uncovered boxes are the better choice.  But....all my boxes are jumbo or x-large... as big as I can buy.  I don't use scented or dusty litter.  I scoop at least once a day.  I always have at least as many boxes as cats. (I don't always follow the +1 rule either.) All the boxes are in different areas... spread throughout the house.  No one goes potty outside the box.  I'm guilt free.  ;) 

With all that said...

The Long Haired Litter is not clumping litter.  I didn't realize that when I bought it.  No biggie. 
I put the litter in two extra boxes.  One at one end of the house.  The other at the other end.
The first two days...everyone checked out the litter.  They scratched and played... had a good time... but didn't use either box.  On the third day, I added the "known" litter to one.  That got things rolling. 

I like that it is light weight.
I like that less is needed.  With the other litter, if it isn't deep, the cats dig to the bottom...and the clumps stick to some of the boxes.  I used almost half of this litter.
With this litter...less litter makes it to the floor.
With our cats being fed mostly raw and some canned... most of the litter box "deposits" are urine, instead of poop.  This stuff really "soaks" up the urine!  Less scooping.

I don't exactly understand what it is made of or from. This is what is stated on the website:
Precious Cat Long Haired Litter is safe and healthy for your cat. Precious Cat Long Haired cat litter is an amorphous silica gel infused with hydrolyzed herbs to draw cats to the litter box. Long Haired litter traps urine and odor on contact and has the right particle size that long haired cats prefer. Long Haired litter will not adhere to the cat’s long fur and it will not color the coat.

Safe and healthy for your cat
Particle size long haired cats prefer
Traps urine and odor on contact
Biodegradable
Hypo-allergenic
Easy to scoop
Low tracking
Non-toxic

http://www.preciouscat.com/long-haired-litter/

All the cats seem to like it.  The less work and it being non heavy... I may change to using it only, or at least in more boxes. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:24:18 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Long Haired Litter - Precious Cat
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
UPDATE:

This litter is VERY dusty.  HORRIBLY dusty!  The label states that it is safe to inhale.   cat2

Since I was able to use a lot less litter, it brought the height of the litter down considerably.  Lower litter = higher litter box walls.  I was then able to remove litter box lids, and keep the "shooters" within the walls of the boxes.  My thinking (or not) was the dust would be a non-issue, if the boxes weren't covered.  I was wrong. 
As soon as I had all boxes converted to this litter, Lola started sneezing. 

Before I knew not to use any perfume, pine, etc. type of litters... Lola was the one that let me know if a litter was a problem. 

Too bad this litter is SO dusty.  It was nice to have a light weight litter.  It was nice having the scooping task be so much easier.  Oh well... easier isn't always better. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
But if it's not clumping, how is it easier to scoop?  I used non clumping litter until Tolly left us.  It was an incredible amount of hard work.  I'll never go back.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 12:42:48 PM »
The urine doesn't get scooped.  I scoop the poo...which is a LOT less, since going to all raw.  Then I just "stir" the litter.  The litter "traps" the urine.  It "disappears."  No smell.  Toss it all after two weeks, according to the directions. 
Depending on the amount of cats and litter boxes, that time frame could be more or less. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
It would be an awesome litter, but the dust factor is just TOO much.  Not only for the Lola, but for me.  My hubby, who goes along with ANYTHING... hates it too. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:49:50 PM »
Dust would be the end for me too.  I love the Cat's Pride "Natural" unscented clumping. Very little dust. I can tell by the top of the hot water heater.  If I dust it off, it is months and months before I notice any litter dust on it it again.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 01:18:33 PM »
I tried two different Cats Pride.  I know the first one was something "light."  I hated it.  I know you do also.  The second time, it wasn't a light version  I thought I was buying the kind you use, but I'm 99.9% sure I didn't.  It was VERY VERY fine.  It was horribly dusty.  Makes sense because it WAS dust to start with.  It didn't even pretend to clump worth a carp either.  I'm kinda afraid to try a third time.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:21:56 PM by Lola, Reason: speeling »

Tags: